Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitting a Bigsby (or whatever) to a hollowbody.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a Bigsby (or whatever) to a hollowbody.

Guys, noob in the realm of trems here. Sub level n00b in the area of hollowbody guitars.
    I'm looking at a Epi Emperor LH and I want to put a trem on there. Is this even possible? Advisable? What kind of trem (let's for argumentssake say a Bigsby) would I be able to put on there without damaging the paint. What if I wanna take it off again?
    Suggestions?
    (spontaneous bursts of laughter even?)
    va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
    Originally posted by chilton
    Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
    www.dutchcassidy.com

You might want to check into these. I installed one on my Gibson SG that works very well.

http://www.vibramate.com/index.html

There's another guy who advertises on e-bay called ZZGuitarworks but I have no experience with them. Both are for Bigsby installations.

Comment

Thanks SJ; but that goes on the stoptail posts right?
      Let me refrase the question;
      Guys, noob in the realm of trems here. Sub level n00b in the area of hollowbody guitars.
      I'm looking at a Epi Emperor LH (hollowbody guitar)

This guitar is equipped with a tailpiece, no stoptail. Now what I really want to do is put a trem on there. Make it into something like the Emperor Swingster (there's no LH for that model )

Is this even possible? Advisable? What kind of trem (let's for argumentssake say a Bigsby) would I be able to put on there without damaging the paint, on at least the top. I understand there might/will be some drilling in the side where the tailpiece-screwholes don't allign with the tremolo-screwholes. My main concern is for the top.
      Suggestions?
      (spontaneous bursts of laughter even?)
      www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

I am NO expert on this, but it seems like you would have to at lest drill holes in the top to do that...

Comment

Thanks Jesse, see; that's what I thought. But I was told there are trems out there that one fixes to the spot the tailpiece is normally fixed to. Stringtension pushes it down on the top and keeps it in place.

I dunno, I'm just repeating what I was told... Having a hard time finding out eitherway. I'll mail Bigsby and ask 'em my question...
          www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

I didn't realize there was no stop-tail on those. So you would need to use a Bigsby B-7 or B-6 (lefty of course) and drill holes in the side near the strap pin and probably in the top. I installed a B-7 on a brand new Gibson Les Paul Studio (before they came out with the Vibra-mate) and I drilled holes in the top and the side. People thought I was crazy but sometimes you just have to take drastic measures when you have no options. I wanted a left-handed Gibson LP with a Bigsby so now I have one.

One other thing to point out before you go ahead and do something like this. The Bigsby handle needs to be reachable while you play. I use it for subtle surfy type bends on chords. Make sure it reaches where you want it before you install it. On larger body guitars like the Epiphone hollow bodies, it probably won't reach. Also, the one I have on my SG is sort of in the way when I go for the pickup switch. Not a major problem but something else to consider.
            Good luck. I love Bigsbys.

Comment

I just looked at a couple lefty Bigsby B6 tremolos on e-bay. Looks like those only require holes on the side and not on the top. You might be in business with one of those.

Comment

Thanks SJ! I was thinking where in hell am I going to drill holes in the top? This Emperor isn't like a 335 with a beam down the middle. Haven't heard from Bigsby yet, I'll post the answer when it arrives.
                www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Olav:

That is a Joe Pass, correct.

Well, here is all you need to do:

Remove the scratch plate. Ditch those hideous knobs. Chrome Tops on that baby will swing. If you decide the Bigsby is to much work, the tail piece in the photo above is an exact fit, no muss, no fuss.

By the way, not my guitar. It belongs to another lefty on the EPI forums.

Good Luck.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, you should ask this question at the Epiphone forum. There are a lot of knowledgable people there and I'm sure someone has already performed this exact operation.
                  Last edited by crawdaddy; 01-15-2010, 09:59 PM.

Comment

If the guitar has gibson style tun-o-matic tailpiece, you can install a stetsbar without drilling any holes. check their website.

Comment

Working...
                    X