X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup suggestions?

heres what im lookin for..
    2 passive hums... one in the neck and one in the bridge
    i dont plan on using a lot of effects, no distortion, just music that is thick like clouds and ambient at times and can go into the heavens full speed and be bright and clean when i want it to. and when using both I want the guitar to sound like a really good nylon acoutic

neck- I want a really creamy and smooth sorta sound

bridge- clean and bright, not too bright, NO TWANG!,

and i want them to be able to blend really well with one another.

I know other factors like wood and what not are factors but i just want some ideas on where to start before i go blindly tone chasing.
    hopefully i can get the combo right the first time. thanks for any and all help.

duncan pearly gates for the bridge and a duncan jazz in the neck
    Originally posted by metalchurch
    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

isn't the Jazz more of a distortion pickup? I have it in my Epiphone LP (I know you hate them) and it's pretty high gain.

Comment

it's a moderate output pickup, it's a good pickup to have with a high output pickup in the bridge

you could also just throw another pearly gates in the neck, alot of people do that
        I had my ball sack appraised one time.
        ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

I have no idea but there's probably some Bareknuckles or if you want something even more different Q-Tuners out there for you.

Comment

It would help if you told us on what guitar are you planning
            to install them to.

Anyway, for the bridge I would suggest a Seymour Duncan Full Shred,
            to give you that bright and clean sound of 80's soloing.

As for the neck I have a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck on one
            of my axes and I really like it, so I think this
            set will do the trick
            "NO, I don't build left handed guitars! I think left handed people are freaks and should not even play the guitar."

Words by a famous luthier when asked by me for a custom left handed instrument quote.

"Great man, you are brilliant! So your stupid ass thinks that Hendrix should have never played the guitar?!"

My reply.

Comment

I like to use SD APH-1 alnico II for both neck and bridge and you get nice full tone but not much distortion. They are low output. I do agree with putting a JB in the neck and maybe a pearly gates in the bridge.
              Bill Griffith, Paramedic/Firefighter
              terrible guitar player-hey I'm honest

Gear:
              2009 Gibson SG Standard
              2005 American Strat Standard fitted with OFR and Stellartone pot system. Candy Red.
              Marshall JCM 800 2204
              1960A
              TS9

Good Deals with:
              Kramerfan

Comment

If you like actives but dont want them, try some Deactivators. I have some in my seven and even though they are considered high output The clean chords still come out awesome and you can hear each note ring true which is great for distortion. But they still sound lush clean.

Comment

I think the standard Fralin PAF styles are outstanding--but to me buckers will never sound like a nylon acoustic.

Comment

Humbuckers and clean? That's Funny. Creamy and smooth has to be alnico. Dimarzio DP156 is a good one. I see alot say the Duncan Dimbucker never goes off like they'd like with distortion, so I'd say that would count it in as one for cleaner designations. My 2 Cents. My alternative would be a Dimarzio Super Distortion for whichever position, they are so nice. Duncans are more of a current trend-boy following, I prefer Dimarzio.
                    Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

You guys realize this thread is like 2 years old right?

Seymour Duncans as a trend? I don't think I've ever heard of a trend lasting 35 years lol. I'm not dissing you any, but that's like saying saying the Corvette is a fad. Some people prefer Duncans, some Dimarzio. Me, I prefer whatever works best for what I'm wanting out of a guitar. If that means Duncan, Dimarzio, Bill Lawrence, Fralin, Lollar, Barden, Bareknuckle, WCR, etc...that's what I'm going to use.
                      Disclaimer:

I'm a loud, foul mouthed, redneck. I have no problem speaking my mind. I've made mistakes in the past and I've reconciled them. If you weren't personally involved, then shut the hell up. It's none of your business and you probably don't know the whole story anyway. Be cool w/ me and I'll return the favor. If you're a douchebag, I'll be the first to tell you.

Like me or hate me, I don't really care which.

Comment

Neck - Dimarzio humbucker from hell

Bridge - Bareknuckle Holy Diver. BKP make some of the best pickups ever!

Damn this thing is old haha

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.9 Fingers View Post
                          You guys realize this thread is like 2 years old right?
                          Seymour Duncans as a trend? I don't think I've ever heard of a trend lasting 35 years lol. I'm not dissing you any, but that's like saying saying the Corvette is a fad. Some people prefer Duncans, some Dimarzio. Me, I prefer whatever works best for what I'm wanting out of a guitar. If that means Duncan, Dimarzio, Bill Lawrence, Fralin, Lollar, Barden, Bareknuckle, WCR, etc...that's what I'm going to use.
                          Damn, I feel so dissed .... no I can take it ... lol
                          The trend is it seems I see more Duncan recommended on forums. Of course there's also the ESP fan-boys too ... lol ... can of worms?
                          ... Humbucker from Hell is the same DP156 I also mentioned
                          Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

I wanted to comment on this thread as soon as Dirtdog revived it.. glad to see a topic like this.. I have a compulsive pickup (well, gear in general) buying condition.. so to the OP.. I'd say, Duncan Seth lover in the neck and a WCR goodwood in bridge.. massive versatility with that paring, but admittedly, can sound a bit odd if you cant keep your hand of the switch.. if you prefer hummers with more output, more of common "theme" between the pair, and still want em to be able to have spacious cleans, the best ive owned are a set of Suhr Aldrich's .. Sounded great in my LP, Maton and PRS.. VERY impressed by their versatility - amp eqing required though..
                            The vid that convinced me to try them - pretty damn accurate from my experience..

Last edited by greenblob; 06-03-2011, 07:47 PM. Reason: did the link wrong - again... sorry
                            My bands website: www.PenroseBand.com
                            FB: www.Facebook.com/Official.Penrose

Comment

Guess I need some glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              X