Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any luthiers, builders, hot rodders out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any luthiers, builders, hot rodders out there?

Hey guys I was just wandering if I'm the only one so far that isn't afraid to poke around with a soldering iron inside my guitar?

Anybody build their own? I do, and I build them for other people too.

BTW this smiley is backwards for our forum:

So is the guitar player and bass player in our smiley band:
    oOoOo

I'm suprised nobody noticed that yet.

I tried to install a pickup once, once. Me and a soldering iron apparently do not get along, it was a freakin disaster. Sucks, I hate paying for crap that I know is easy to do.

Comment

Soldering is quite easy. Look up how to tin a soldering iron, and then just practice on scrap wire. The big thing is to keep in mind you are heating what you want to solder, not the solder itself!

I also suggest a very thin gauge solder. Some people will tell you different mixes, and types of solder work better, though I was raised on the "make do with what you have" mentality, so I can say to much there...

Comment

Originally posted by Altec View Post
        Soldering is quite easy. Look up how to tin a soldering iron, and then just practice on scrap wire. The big thing is to keep in mind you are heating what you want to solder, not the solder itself!

I also suggest a very thin gauge solder. Some people will tell you different mixes, and types of solder work better, though I was raised on the "make do with what you have" mentality, so I can say to much there...
        I use the same roll of radio shack solder that I have had for over 15 years. I got my money's worth on that purchase. I think $3 and I still have enough for probably 20 more guitars. It is .032" 2.5 oz roll light duty rosin core solder.

That is the hardest concept to master for some people, heating the work, not the solder. My dad showed me how to sweat pipe fittings years ago, and the same priciple applies to wiring. When you sweat a pipe fitting, you actually remove the heat when applying the solder, and the joint takes just enough to seal itself. I do sometimes use a tiny dab of flux on the back of a pot if the solder isn't sticking quick enough. I have fried a pot or two (and a few mini switches) from using too much heat on them. Soldering is one of those things that is like riding a bike, yes once you learn you'll never forget, but also the first couple times it is tough, but once that thing in your brain clicks, you got it!!!

Comment

Haha! I got the same roll of solder!

Lol, I remember the first time I road a bike without training wheels. It was dark, I was on a pink bike, and I was happy as a lark! Then, when I told my parents, and family, no one seemed to care!

Comment

Yes sir eee I Build for many years but now just staying with the finishes as Saw dust and paint do not mix well so it was one or the other some day ill show some of my stuff :thrash:

Comment

Originally posted by 7stringking View Post
              Yes sir eee I Build for many years but now just staying with the finishes as Saw dust and paint do not mix well so it was one or the other some day ill show some of my stuff :thrash:
              I can attest for the work of 7stringking. He has done EVERY one of my custom paint jobs. Great work, great price, and an awesome guy to boot.

Comment

i havent done much soldering on guitars but i have on other projects.the only experience iv had on a guitar was soldering the ground wire back to the claw, but that was easy. i am soon gonna attempt to put in new pickups,which should be interesting
                HUCK
                Marshall AVT Valvestate 200(275watt)

Comment

I bought a cold heat pro off the bay, haven't really used it hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by TheHeroCycle View Post
                    I bought a cold heat pro off the bay, haven't really used it hahaha
                    I have one too... its terrible, or else I am terrible..

I went out and bought a cheapo from Radio shack.. way better.

WHat size do you guys use? Mines a 30 watt and it works but I wonder if a hotter one would be better?

I have changed 3 sets of pickups so far...

Comment

Yeah, man, right here!
                      I build guitars. Not really in to finishing, usually, so I like sticking with the natural wood plus oil.

Comment

soldering

I put a set of pickups in my strat, and rewired a switch pole to move the tone control. I'm not very good at soldering but it worked ! ... oh and I put a mod transister in my wah pedal. I have a little shake in my hands and if I can do it, you all can do it. Look up on youtube the guy from Expert Villiage, how to solder / desolder, braiding wick ... it's hysterical (such a dork); even he fumbles it ....
                        Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Working...
                        X