refitting a t.o.m. bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refitting a t.o.m. bridge?

Is there anywere I can look for a how to refit a TOM bridge in a right hand guitar so it will intonate correctly for a lefty flip around,or is there a TOM bridge out there that will have enough travel to do this?thnkx,slagg..

Originally posted by slagg View Post
    Is there anywere I can look for a how to refit a TOM bridge in a right hand guitar so it will intonate correctly for a lefty flip around,or is there a TOM bridge out there that will have enough travel to do this?thnkx,slagg..
    Rule of thumb is stay away from TOM.... but if you have to go there, make sure it's already a lefty...
    Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Ever look at the way a TOM is angled in reference to the tail piece?

You would have to redrill the body to mirror that angle.

The first guitar I ever built had a TOM in it and I mounted the bridge parallel to the tail piece and had a really hard time intonating it. There just wasn't enough adjustment in the saddles to get the guitar in tune. I just needed a little bit of an angle, which wasn't there, so after years of playing with a guitar that was out of tune with itself all the time, I scrapped it and used the parts in another build.

Personally I like a Tune O Matic bridge. One of the reasons is they work with a left handed guitar. I don't use a tremolo at all, my strat I have the trem locked so it's easier to tune. I never felt the need to do a 2 octave divebomb in any music I play, so for me the TOM is the way to go. My current guitar has a LR Baggs T Bridge in it for an acoustic tone.

The whole concept of a "Lefty Flip" is really foreign to me. I have owned a few right handed guitars that I tried in vain to like, but I get really annoyed having knobs digging into forearm while I play! So down the road they go after I get all the goodies out of them and replace the good electronics with crap and resell them to some un-suspecting rightie.

I'm thinking that you need to measure the stud mounting locations, from the end of the neck. Measure the different lengths and write them down. Then you will need to pull the studs that are in the guitar (if any) and basicaly reverse your measurements so the bridge will be angled in the opposite way.

One tip I have for you on doing this is to start your new pilot holes for the new stud locations with at least your two E strings strung up loosely. I have found that mounting TOM between the tailpiece and nut is way easier to do with the E strings strung up so you can look down the strings and line them up with the edges of the fretboard. You think your measurements are perfect and if you don't use the 'trial fit' method I use, you will find in 9 out of 10 trys that you will be off slightly and either have to plug and redrill or re-notch the saddles of your bridge. The strings have to be straight, or all kinds of bad shit is going to happen. Like your strings will pop out of the saddles, they'll break etc etc. I've made this mistake more than twice, so now when I mount a TOM I always use two strings on the outside saddles and line everything up and take measurements off of the strings to the edges of the fretboard. Then all the other hardware pickups etc fall on the mounting of the bridge and the strings.

Wow that was a mouthful. Probably confused you more than cleared it up.

Comment

Originally posted by AllroyPA View Post
        Rule of thumb is stay away from TOM.... but if you have to go there, make sure it's already a lefty...
        Why would you have to stay away from a TOM? They are one of the few bridges that will work for us without having to buy a left handed special piece.

Comment

Originally posted by theklanch View Post
          Why would you have to stay away from a TOM? They are one of the few bridges that will work for us without having to buy a left handed special piece.
          I'm just not a huge fan ... but yea, the bridge should be reset to convert a righty, or it may not intonate. Sorry I should have said my rule of thumb. Jaytown is Johnstown ?
          Last edited by AllroyPA; 03-30-2010, 05:57 PM.
          Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

I'm just not a huge fan ... but yea, the bridge should be reset to convert a righty, or it may not intonate. Sorry I should have said my rule of thumb. Jay town is Johnstown ?
            I can tell you from experience that you will almost never get a TOM to intonate left handed if the guitar is still set up righty. Hey bro I can understand not being a fan of anything. Personally I'm not a fan of Floyd Rose setups at all, I think they are junk. Now before all the Floyd fans get together a lynch mob, I'm not saying that they are junk, I just THINK they are junk, way too much going on for a guitar bridge. It's just my opinion. I have used all different types of bridges in my day, and my favorite happens to be the TOM. I had a FR on a flying V when I was 16, and after about 6 hours of fiddling, I got the guitar to intonate, and I got it in tune. Then I hit the whammy once, and that all changed. I kept the guitar for about 3 weeks and played it all of 4 or 5 times. I just hated the whole setup and swore I'd never touch one again. I tried to set one up about a year ago for a good customer buddy of mine, and honestly I referred him to someone else. This is coming from a builder and player, all in all for what I do and what I know, it is my preferred setup. Some people swear by this or that, myself included, the TOM is for me, because I think it is so simple.

Jaytown is Johnstown. Good eyes my friend. You from Philly? The land of the Flyers, the eagles, the Phillies and cheesesteaks

Being from the other half of the state this is the land of the Stillers, the Pens, the Bucs (pirates) and Primanti Bros. sandwiches (they put the fries and slaw right on the sandwich...Google them they are a PGH institution) I almost forgot the rampant unemployment too.

Cool to see another Keystone State Lefty!!!
            Last edited by theklanch; 03-30-2010, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Yep I used to go up through J.town on my way out west (Indiana,PA)... How about Fox's cheesesteak wedgies ? ... the othe PA lefty's will chime in I'm sure...
              I had one I liked on the Ibanez SZ520 was all smooth and comfy ... I would bend though if I found a nice LesPaul-type...
              Last edited by AllroyPA; 03-30-2010, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Yep I used to go up through J.town on my way out west (Indiana,PA)... How about Fox's cheesesteak wedgies ? ... the othe PA lefty's will chime in I'm sure...
                I had one I liked on the Ibanez SZ520 was all smooth and comfy ... I would bend though if I found a nice LesPaul-type...
                Indiana............. IUP (I Usually Party) One of the best party schools I've been to!!! I had a ton of friends go to school there. Funny I was just talking to a buddy of mine about the whole 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon and how well it works around here but you only need 3 degrees. I bet we know friends of friends.....

That bridge you pictured looks like a really nice piece. All rounded and smooth looking.

My preference these days is a recessed TOM without any neck angle. I had my Warmoth set up that way and I really like it way better than any LP I've played. Keeps everything low and smooth.

Love the Fox's wedgies, especially the cheesesteak!!! And you guys in Philly usually get the Dead for two nights, we here on the Pittsburgh side only ever get them for one night at a time!!!!

Comment

Funny I never saw the Dead in Pittsburgh but I did spend some time tailgating ; ) .... ... it's a bit of a blurr but sometime '87 -'88 -'89 somewhere in there ... PEACE (/|\) ...Saw them in Philly though

Comment

I've seen 'The Dead' in Camden 3 times. never Grateful, I mean with Jerry. I did, however get to see Jer in PGH in 92 at starlake both nights, Buckeye Lake in Ohio in 94 and at Giants Stadium and Three Rivers Stadium in 95. Then it all fell apart. Since Jerry left us, I've seen all the new bands at a bunch of various venues including Darien Lakes near Buffalo NY, Homdel NJ, Camden NJ, Bonnaroo in 04, the Palace Theatre in Greensburg PA. Jeez i'm trying to remember all of the different places I've seen them......

Best run of 'dead shows' I did was two nights in Homdel NJ, drove across PA to see the DMB (Dave Matthews) for one night of his normal two, then back down the turnpike to catch two nights of the dead in Camden in 03. Lots of driving, and I got to see the last two Steve Winwood openers, and the first two Willie Nelson openers. The Dead took the night off that I went to the DMB show in PGH, so I saw 4 consecutive dead shows with a little Dave Matthews thrown in for good luck. I wouldn't have went to see Dave, but I won tickets on the radio for that show, so I couldn't pass that up!

Funny now that I'm married (to an awesome Deadhead girl) and have a family, I don't really go to any concerts. We try to catch a show here and there (mostly the Allman bros or Ratdog) and lately we have had some really cool tribute bands come through J-town. I saw The Machine (Pink Floyd tribute act) at a little theatre in Windber PA and last week we saw 'One night of Queen' here at our hockey arena. But we are planning on going to the All Good festival to see 'Further' Bobby and Phil's new project in July. Hopefully that will work out for us.

It's nice to hear from someone that has actually heard of where I'm from and not having to explain that I'm 75 miles east of Pittsburgh!! I'll talk to you real soon Allroy Peace my fellow Penna Lefty!!

Wow man sorry if we hijacked your TOM thread to talk about Pennsylvania. It happens sometimes on these forums!!

Comment

Originally posted by slagg View Post
                      Looky here; http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15794
                      A LGTforummember, MIN, had a bit of a 'problem' with his custombuilt LoveRock 'ToM' being drilled for a righty. In this case the original righty holes were small, for Vintage specs and could be redrilled for larger posts in the right position. Check that out.
                      MIN has his guitar posted here too; http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/s...ead.php?t=1096
                      I don't think he'd mind if you PMed him with questions.

Sidenote; The Klanch - welcome back! Long time no see.
                      va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
                      Originally posted by chilton
                      Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
                      www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

I'm glad to be back Olav!!!

Comment

Hey Olav thanks for the links!!
                          "NO, I don't build left handed guitars! I think left handed people are freaks and should not even play the guitar."

Words by a famous luthier when asked by me for a custom left handed instrument quote.

"Great man, you are brilliant! So your stupid ass thinks that Hendrix should have never played the guitar?!"

My reply.

Comment

Originally posted by theklanch View Post
                            I'm glad to be back Olav!!!
                            Hi, theklanch. I was just poring over the forum and saw your link in the bottom of your posts. I just 'liked' your page on facebook.

I've been looking to have a custom guitar built for me, but I've been getting a lot of sideways glances about it, as if I'm out of my mind ... and quotes in the stratosphere. Tried PM-ing you, but your mailbox is full.

Comment

Working...
                            X