The best way to strip paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best way to strip paint?

I've got a guitar I want to strip the paint of off and sanding fucking takes too long. Anyone know a better way?

Hit up 7stringking, he's an ace on this stuff

Comment

I hear heat gunning the paint is what some people do
      I'd never do it because I'll probably cause a fire but what ever floats your boat I guess
      Guitaring in a non guitaring land

Comment

Go to a wholesale tool shop like Harbor Freight and get a handheld circular sander with a 4" disc for $15. You can take it off in about 10 minutes even with clearcoat. A palm sander is great for finishing if you don't want to do any hand work at all.
        Last edited by keeper006; 07-21-2009, 11:50 PM.
        I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream has gone from me...

Comment

Intreaging ... welcome keeper ~!
          Originally posted by keeper006 View Post
          Go to a wholesale tool shop like Harbor Freight and get a handheld cicular sander with a 4" disc for $15. You can take it off in about 10 minutes even with clearcoat. A palm sander is great for finishing if you don't want to do any hand work at all.
          Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Heat gun is the best method for Poly, and regular old lacquer thinner for nitro.

Stripping off a poly finish sucks, but it cane be done with a heat gun and a speckling knife.
            Guitars: Fender Strats & Teles, Gibson R6 & 335 dot
            Amp: Two Rock Opal #63 w/ Two Rock 2x12 Cab
            Pedals: Zendrive, Keeley BD-2, Keeley mod DD4, Voodoo Tremolo

Comment

Originally posted by keeper006 View Post
              Go to a wholesale tool shop like Harbor Freight and get a handheld circular sander with a 4" disc for $15. You can take it off in about 10 minutes even with clearcoat. A palm sander is great for finishing if you don't want to do any hand work at all.
              I tried that - I spent hours sanding, ran through five pads, and still couldn't break the base finish...only stripped the gloss and color off.

Comment

Originally posted by exalted View Post
                I tried that - I spent hours sanding, ran through five pads, and still couldn't break the base finish...only stripped the gloss and color off.
                That's Poly - hardest finishes ever to get off. Look up some videos on YouTube, or search around. HeatGun is your best bet.

I just did a Mexican Fender body. It's not fun, but it comes off in big sheets, so it's not too bad.

Never attempt this on an Epiphone semi hollow.

Don't ask me how I know........
                Guitars: Fender Strats & Teles, Gibson R6 & 335 dot
                Amp: Two Rock Opal #63 w/ Two Rock 2x12 Cab
                Pedals: Zendrive, Keeley BD-2, Keeley mod DD4, Voodoo Tremolo

Comment

Working...
                X