Small Steps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Steps

Yesterday , I took the first step . A local music store agreed to place one of my builds on a consignment basis . It is my first righty build . I walked in cold expecting rejection . I hope she finds a home .

One piece Cherry body , 1/4 sawn Walnut/Ebony neck , 12" radius , '63 Strat contour , 4 way switch , bone nut and Klein Alnico 4 Jazz Tele pups .

I'm sure this guitar will not be in that shop long! This is probably the one I was talking about when I said 'Rosy'.
    va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
    Originally posted by chilton
    Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
    www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Nice job otter!! Good luck hope she sells!!!

Comment

Hey Otter, I was wondering if you had any bites on this beauty? Just curious......

And I do have a technical question about it....... How much thickness did you take off the neck mounting area on the back? Looks like about 1/4" but I have a hard time telling measurements on a computer screen. I like that detail, I'm gonna use that detail on my next bolt on.

Thanks man

Comment

I did this build with no round over on the edges . I have done this and am actually reassembling her now . It will go back to the store tomorrow . This was the only negative comment and I agree with it . Time will tell as far as interest after this .
          As far as the cut in the neck area of the rear of the body , I simply take whatever is needed to get the proper thickness to use the standard screws . This material is thicker than 1 3/4" . I think that it aids in comfort while playing , since the body is thicker and players get used to the standard thickness .
          The only other negative comment was that it would be hard to sell with a neck finished in oil only . The neck has two coats of oil finish and two light coats of poly . It feels almost like raw wood , so I can understand why people thought it was oil only .
          With the round overs , I believe that it will sell because everyone loves the way this neck feels .

Comment

Originally posted by otterhound View Post
            I did this build with no round over on the edges . I have done this and am actually reassembling her now . It will go back to the store tomorrow . This was the only negative comment and I agree with it . Time will tell as far as interest after this .
            As far as the cut in the neck area of the rear of the body , I simply take whatever is needed to get the proper thickness to use the standard screws . This material is thicker than 1 3/4" . I think that it aids in comfort while playing , since the body is thicker and players get used to the standard thickness .
            The only other negative comment was that it would be hard to sell with a neck finished in oil only . The neck has two coats of oil finish and two light coats of poly . It feels almost like raw wood , so I can understand why people thought it was oil only .
            With the round overs , I believe that it will sell because everyone loves the way this neck feels .
            Well man it's good to get the feedback on your work..... I didn't realize that this guitar was thicker than 1 3/4" but why you did that cut I totally understand, would make neck area probably too chunky for most if you let it the full thickness. But, I have seen it on other guitars also, ones that are 1 3/4", and I was wondering how much you could really take off? I bet you could shave 1/4" to 3/8" and slim the body down there, and still keep the guitar stable if you know what I mean. I think the next time I tear my Jerrycaster apart, I'm gonna shave 1/4" off the back of the body like you did with this guitar. What do you think, Otter...... A standard neck pocket from Warmoth is 5/8" deep, and if I went 3/8" that would still leave me an inch of the hardest maple I have ever worked with to bolt the neck to....? Maybe the full 3/8" might be a little too much feeling wise, 1/4" probably would be better now that I think about it.

Keep me posted on how this is doing at the shop!

Comment

Working...
            X