New necks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New necks

Doesn't seem like there is much interest in acoustic guitars here , but I thought that I would post that I just received confirmation of the shipping of two necks . This will be my first attempt at building an acoustic . The entire guitar except for the sound board and fretboard will use wood harvested by me . The necks are a five piece deal with a 3/8" Cherry center piece flanked by thin strips of Maple with the rest being Walnut . Dovetail joint in a Walnut block with a Walnut rear block as well . This will be done under the instruction of John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars . I should have the necks in a few days and will post some pics then . I may do a small build thread during the process .

Definitely do so, I have never seen an acoustic build process. Is it more difficult than an electric?

Comment

Without experience , I will say yes . There certainly is more involved . Since you are not far from Nazareth , you should consider taking the tour at Martin some day . It is even free . You will be amazed .

Comment

Looking forward to the buildthreads Otterhound. What's the reason you decided not to build the necks yourself? (O! got ya on the flipside; no time...)
        Last edited by Olav; 05-29-2010, 10:11 AM. Reason: (O! got ya on the flipside; no time...)
        va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
        Originally posted by chilton
        Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
        www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Building a neck , electric and acoustic , are both on my to do list .

Comment

Here's me thinking you did the neck on Rosy yourself.
            Are you nervous about neck-building? Or is time the only issue?
            www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

First . Rosie is a Fender Masterbuilt CS one off guitar . I had no part in building her . I simply ordered her to be built . Second . As far as building necks , Fender style necks are as simple as sending my wood to USACG and having them build it while I devote time to the rest . I also do not need to stock and buy quantities of different size and type fret materials . I will get around to the neck thing some day , but , for now the convenience is worth it . As far as a Dovetail type acoustic neck , that is a whole 'nother ball game . I want to attempt that one under learned supervision so that I don't learn many things that I will likely need to unlearn later . Besides , the cost of having the basic neck built without a fretboard is nowhere near being prohibitive . Yes , I will be nervous about this until I have done it , but I am not scared .

Comment

I guess I didn't mean Rosy then... got that confused with another guitar probably.
                Not scared, sure, that's not what I meant by nervous. Maybe apprehensive was the word I was looking for? Anyway, looking forward to seeing how you do and how you get by. Good luck!
                www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

24.9"scale , 14 fret , 1/3/4" nut .

The other is 24.9" scale , 1 11/16" nut and 12 fret . Same wood .

Comment

Friday , it begins .

Comment

amazing ...
                      Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

More wood . The sides and back are in here , somewhere .

Comment

I'll be keeping my eye on this one...

in the meanwile: here's a trailer of a nice documentary; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNjAFrGOj4Y

it was showed in its entirity on dutch television a while ago, and this thread kinda reminded me of that... Try to watch it, its nice...

B

Comment

Back wood is bookmatched .

The sides .

The top . German Spruce .

Comment

Jig for shaping the sides and rough shaping .
                              Finish shaping on the shaper .

Bending the sides .

Comment

Working...
                              X