Question for the builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the builders

Since I'm impatiently saving till I can purchase another guitar, and I really want kramerfan's strat! If it's sold before I can afford it.

roughly how much would a similiar strat build be?

Ideally, what I'd want is a mahogany body, birdseye maple fretboard(maple neck or whatever) Floyd Rose, H-S-S direct mounted p/us(no pickgaurd)

Neck thru with 24 frets would be awesome, but I really just a FR Strat with the pre-CBS headstock.

Maybe warmoth is the best option? Aside from Carvin, I have no experience with customs

'theklanch' (John) is building me a custom superstrat right now, you can see the spec in this section, it's not too different from what you're after. I'll PM you how much it's going to cost.

Comment

Must it have a Floyd Rose setup ? I could build that except for the neck through 24 fret and Mahogany body with a one piece Cherry body and a Cherry or 1/4 sawn Walnut neck . The cost would vary with the details beyond what you have given . Would a Callaham trem/bridge setup work for you ? Going with the info you have posted , I would say that would be in the $1,800.00 range and up for a good quality custom build . Less for something of lesser quality .

Comment

Originally posted by ShredMojo View Post
        Since I'm impatiently saving till I can purchase another guitar, and I really want kramerfan's strat! If it's sold before I can afford it.

roughly how much would a similiar strat build be?

Ideally, what I'd want is a mahogany body, birdseye maple fretboard(maple neck or whatever) Floyd Rose, H-S-S direct mounted p/us(no pickgaurd)

Neck thru with 24 frets would be awesome, but I really just a FR Strat with the pre-CBS headstock.

Maybe warmoth is the best option? Aside from Carvin, I have no experience with customs

Warmoth is a good option if you have deep pockets!!!

I can do Floyds!!!!!!

You and I need to discuss this. Please, before you dump any money on factory built swill, let me talk to you about what is available. PM me and we can discuss this.
        Last edited by theklanch; 05-14-2010, 07:43 AM. Reason: added stuff

Comment

No shit about Warmoth! I did a quick "mock" parts build. went well over $1200 before I could finish. Considering I can get a better looking neck thru guitar from Carvin cheaper, and I don't have to build it myself...pass on warmoth!

Comment

Originally posted by ShredMojo View Post
            No shit about Warmoth! I did a quick "mock" parts build. went well over $1200 before I could finish. Considering I can get a better looking neck thru guitar from Carvin cheaper, and I don't have to build it myself...pass on warmoth!

I hear that. I have about $1000 in parts in my warmoth, and that was before I built it, considering I don't pay myself labor, I guess I got a deal for an awesome playing guitar.

I mean I just got done fiddling with the Jerry band/ GD songs 'Sugaree' and 'Loser' I went from a fat humbucker sound with a touch of strat (both HB's on, rhythm set to series and the bridge set to parallel) while I was playing Sugaree, and with the flip of a switch I had an acoustic tone from the T-bridge and I mix a little of the bridge PU in with a coil off to calm the piezo quack a little. Sounds like a big bodied acoustic guitar mic'ed up. That was what I got with building my own custom. Now if you aren't handy with the guitar building process, I could do it for you. And you would have an instrument better than a Carvin at about the price you got at the Warmoth site. I am trying to make this my day job, building guitars, so I apologize for the blatent sales pitch! But anyway, I really think that the whole "factory custom" (Warmoth, Carvin) isn't the way to go for a custom instrument. I have a carvin neck in the one guitar I built, and I hate the fucking neck it's entirely too thin for my sandwich grabbers! And unfortunately with carvin, you can have any neck you want, so long as it is their standard ultra thin. It's barely 3/4" thick at the 12th fret and gets thinner the closer you get to the headstock. And they don't do lefty neck through necks without an upcharge, so no side markers on their neck blanks, I had to do them myself! I will sing the praises of a warmoth neck if you are interested in a neck profile other than what is offered on a vintage strat or tele, because the other neck companies (allparts, mighty mite etc) offer the 'standard thin' neck that is a vintage fender contour. I mainly use necks from mighty mite, their quality is as good as warmoth and a lot less money. It's when you get into wanting a baseball bat that warmoth is the best option for a neck with their compound radius. Their maple necks aren't too bad, you can get maple on maple unfinished for under $300 with all the bells and whistles! Add that to a mighty mite ash strat body and you have yourself a real player for not too much cash. I could go on and on singing the praises of hiring a guitar builder, as like I said I am trying to make a living building guitars, and obviously I'd love to build you a guitar. I really think if you are ready to call the shots on what you really want, to be able to spec the exact pickups and woods that you are looking for, hiring someone like me is the way to go. I must add that if you decide to go this route, I do take a little artistic license in the appearance of the guitar. I cannot and will not paint a guitar. I do clear and dyed finishes over beautiful hardwood. I do have a guy that paints, but it is expensive, but his work is second to none. I also recess the neck plates, pickguards on strats and teles the jack plates on strats so they don't sit proud of the top, they are flush, like a rear routed control cavity fits. I also mount tremolo spring covers flush with matching wood. Matching wood rear rout covers, too. Those are some of the details that come with my guitars that no one else does at all!

Anyway I think you should PM me and we can chit chat about your options

Comment

Working...
            X