I have been busy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been busy

A taste of what I have done in the last year or so .

Some of my wood stash.

I have more , but this will do .

Comment

you make me want a tele

Comment

This dudes got his own lumberyard? I better not let Oigun see this, he'll cream his shorts.

Otter; you want to tell us some about your guitars? Woods? Finish?
        Samples?
        va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
        Originally posted by chilton
        Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
        www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

..... amazing .... thanks for sharing those
          Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Thanks for asking . The first one posted is my first build . It ended up at a children's home in Texas . The body is one piece Ringbark Cherry . Trim is 1/4 sawn Walnut . The neck is a Warmoth one piece Maple and a bone nut . Pups are Klein '67 Tele and they are fantastic . Wired standard Tele with lefty CTS pots . Number two is a one piece Ringbark Cherry as well . Trim the same as #1 . A USACG Maple/Rosewood neck . Lefty pots and Bill Lawrence L200 pups . Bone nut and standard Tele wiring . Number three is one piece Black Cherry hardtail Strat body . 1/4 sawn Walnut/Madagascar Rosewood neck with bone nut . Lefty pots and Fender CS 69 pups ( righties ) . Fender Hendrix tribute wiring . Callaham bridge with vintage spacing . This one felt special from the moment I first held it in my hands . Number four is a one piece Black Cherry body with a 1/4 sawn Walnut/Ebony neck . Bone nut . Fender 52 RI pup wired directly to the jack . Number five is a one piece Ringbark Cherry body with a Cherry/Madagascar Rosewood neck . Bone nut . Fender 52 RI pup and Esquire wiring . Lefty CTS pots as well . What you saw was only part of my wood stash . I will very soon be building only with woods harvested by me . For example , the stack with the thicker material is 1/4 sawn Silver Maple . Some of which is over 20" wide . I have Cherry , Walnut , Mulberry , 1/4 sawn Oak , 1/4 sawn Silver Maple , hard Maple and Hickory . I am sure that I left something out somewhere , sorry . Let me build one for you .

Comment

Harvested by you as in get in the truck, drive to a tree, get out the chainsaw, fall it, slice it, stack it, dry it?
              check out what I'm having built; http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/s...ead.php?t=1134
              www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Olav View Post
                Harvested by you as in get in the truck, drive to a tree, get out the chainsaw, fall it, slice it, stack it, dry it?
                check out what I'm having built; http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/s...ead.php?t=1134
                Yes , I have done that . I also keep my open for freshly felled trees at construction sites and others . I got the Silver Maple from a Ronald McDonald house construction site . All I did was ask . They even loaded it for me . It was 38" in diameter . I do have all of it milled locally . I stack it and air dry it on my property . Oh yes , my preference is for an oil finish . I have done poly finishes , but do not prefer them . The exception is neck backs . They receive a satin poly . Feels great .

Comment

You know, that's really interesting to me, coz I do a fair bit of falling trees during wintertime. Ash, alder and maple mostly, some elm, some popple (I was gonna say poplar but that's a different species, I'm talking about Populus L.) lots and lots of willow. Most of that becomes firewood, though sometimes I get real nice logs. Especially in ash and alder. How long do you rest the wood? What drying times?
                  Come to think of it, that would be so cool building a guitar from indigenous woods only!
                  www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

As far as drying , it is desired to attain at least a 10 percent or less moisture content . 6 percent is ideal . Time varies according to drying method and location . There are some very important things to take into account so do your homework so as to avoid ruining some good wood as far as guitar building is concerned . I am willing to put most of my wood up against anything out there as far as being good guitar wood . It just isn't typical . Oh well , I am a lefty after all . I will soon have the cut wood to build exclusively from local wood .

Comment

Originally posted by otterhound View Post
                      Well someone has finally done it..I'm at a loss for words..

Just toooo cooool.

Comment

Thanks . I must admit that I fail to understand what you mean by " someone has finally done it " . This one was a fundraiser build for another forum . Take note to the logo on the headstock . One piece Black Cherry body , 1/4 sawn Walnut/Madagascar Rosewood neck , 9.5" radius , bone nut , Kluson style tuners , lefty CTS pots , standard Tele style wiring , Bill Lawrence Keystones and Fender vintage bridge . She should have been delivered to the winner in Canada by now . Once I register the name and secure the domain name , I will be announcing my endeavor in the guitar building world .

Comment

otter, crawdaddy-o was joking, nobody can shut him up.

www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

man, that tele looked great as a broadcaster, so much bare grain between the bridge and the neck pocket got me all hot and bothered.
                            Originally posted by metalchurch
                            I had my ball sack appraised one time.
                            Originally posted by metalchurch
                            ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by Olav View Post
                              otter, crawdaddy-o was joking, nobody can shut him up.

No worries .

Comment

Working...
                              X