Acoustic and resonator guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic and resonator guitars

Only one of these is a true lefty, a 1987 Seagull 12-string. The Hagstrom and the Johnson are both converted righties...

Hagstrom

Bought in '84. It has a Fishman pickup installed, and I replaced the bridge pins with brass ones.

Last edited by lef-T; 02-01-2010, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Johnson

Tricone resonator, bought in '06. Upgrades: Quarterman cones, ebony-capped maple bridge.

Last edited by lef-T; 02-01-2010, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Seagull

Lefty 12-string, Canadian-made, a real beauty. I keep it tuned down to D and it sounds awesome.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed these pics...

Comment

Wow! If that truely is one of the last SE made guitars than I'm a jealous MF! Did you change the whole bridge or cut a new slot? I'm looking in on a 'new' acoustic and the righties are just so much better available. The luthier I'm working with on a project told me it wouldn't be aproblem to fill the righty slot and cut a lefty to replace it. What did you do? Issues soundwise?

jeez, I can't get over that 84 Hagström...
          va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
          Originally posted by chilton
          Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
          www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Hi Olav,

A new slot was cut for the bridge. That and a new nut and you're all set! Acoustics are (relatively) easy to convert. I haven't had any issues sound-wise, it feels and plays great and has for the past 26 years.

I don't know for certain it's a Swede, but I suspect it is. I've read that Hagstrom stopped manufacturing in Sweden in '83, and I bought this in '84... it wasn't a new arrival at the shop either, it had been around for a while.

I have searched the web for info on Hag acoustics and such info is real scarce. If anyone can point me at relevant info online I'd be grateful.

Pete

Comment

I'll do a little digging around in the Swedish historica on Hagström. I'll let you know. There's no other digits on or in the guitar besides the serial M250?
              www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Olav View Post
                I'll do a little digging around in the Swedish historica on Hagström. I'll let you know. There's no other digits on or in the guitar besides the serial M250?
                Actually it's MS250, the "S" is hidden behind a string in that photo. Other than that, there's no digits anywhere else.

I have been doing more research this morning. I found out that most (all?) Hagstrom acoustics were actually made by Bjarton. Yet I can't find record anywhere of either a Bjarton or a Hagstrom model MS250.

Another curious thing is the headstock shape; all of the Hag acoustic pics I can find on the web show the contoured/asymmetric headstock shape, but mine is squared off.

Comment

Näh, can't find anything either. Strange, coz there's a lot of info on the web about Hagström. Another thing I find peculiar is the apparrent misspelling of the name on the label inside the guitar body. That says Hagstrom instead of Hagström. Usually the dots on the o are replaced by the cross stripe through the t. The logo on the headstock seems correct, so why the funny label?
                  You might wanna send pics of your guitar to this guy; [email protected]
                  Maybe he can tell you more...
                  Lycka till! (good luck!)
                  www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Yes it is strange. I've sent email to the address you suggested, I'll let you know what comes back...

Comment

Curious to see what comes up.
                      www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Hey Olav,

The feeling is that it's a Harmony guitar branded as Hagstrom by a Canadian importer. Harmony apparently marketed a "Marquis" model guitar with a very similar headstock.

It is somewhat of a rarity, but not, it would seem, a genuine Hagstrom. This is the substance of the reply I got, in a nutshell.

Thanks for that email address! It was very helpful.

Pete

Comment

Hiya Pete, I kinda had an inkling the story would turn out that way. Dunno what importer it was that changed the name on the headstock, fact is there was a similar 'fraud' with Tokai guitars in Canada. In the case of your Hag the object wasn't even to defraud the Canadian buyer, but to prolonge the life of the Hagström brand.
                          Now what's sorta funny is that when you look up Hagström in the BlueBook of acoustics, pictured next to it is a Harmony guitar... That looks an awful lot like your guitar!
                          Still, if you feel this is a good instrument (you've had it for over 25 years so I guess that's the case), you don't have to feel down about it.
                          www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

I'm not bothered... It's a nice-playing guitar and it's served me well all this time, and will continue to. Besides, I kinda like that it's unusual.

Comment

Working...
                            X