Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A great door opened by Ibanez... at last !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A great door opened by Ibanez... at last !

I know this pic is a bit small (for a start. I'll post better ones soon).
    I'm pretty sure many of you already know that Ibanez finally issued a (temporary ?) series of Jems and JS signatures from the Team J craft, but I've not seen any online yet.

So I just wanted to share this, because I still don't believe I finally own one, when I thought that impossible a few months ago. I had to wait about 4 months to sign the UPS delivery form, but it was worth it, as you imagine.

This baby plays awsome (prepared by Ibanez Rules, no surprise) with a very low action. On a Line 6 Vetta II head and cab, I just can't push the volume button over 2, or I'll kill the neighbourhood ! I don't even speak about the sound : Vai, Satch and others just like you were playin' their own axes (almost on their own amps).

For the show, I join another pic of this customized Variax 500, which to me looks great and is a must-have in any guitarist's lineup (26 modelized guitars in one, electric, acoustic, resos, vintage, etc... When you get to record, this is the thing to have). Made a good deal on ebay earlier this year.

I much enjoyed casting an eye at your own axes, guys. Some of you are far more courageous (and skilled) than me to customize and personalize axes, yep !
    Attached Files
    FRENCHPAW

''Playing music is by far the best universal language lessons I've ever had".

Oh. My. God.

You are my hero. We need some full pictures of that ASAP please. Come to think of it, I think the guitar of the month just got a nominee...

Comment

Enjoy, my friend had the 7WH and it's a fabulous guitar, so I'm sure the lefty version is exactly the same.
      Last edited by Pauly; 12-10-2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I'll try my best not to be too long to post some more pics, Jesse (however, if you're in such a hurry, you can find tons of right-handed 7vwh online. You even can switch the pictures right to left to have the full impression of a lefty JEM !).

To me, this one doesn't need to be customized, as it has it all : beauty, high quality craftmanship, playability... and sound ! So you're right, on a lefties' forum, it sure has chances to be a nominee for the GOTM...
        FRENCHPAW

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchPaw View Post
          I'll try my best not to be too long to post some more pics, Jesse (however, if you're in such a hurry, you can find tons of right-handed 7vwh online. You even can switch the pictures right to left to have the full impression of a lefty JEM !).

To me, this one doesn't need to be customized, as it has it all : beauty, high quality craftmanship, playability... and sound ! So you're right, on a lefties' forum, it sure has chances to be a nominee for the GOTM...
          If you have ever played a Japan made RG550/560/570 I'd love to know how it compares.

Comment

I have indeed tried a 550 once, but long ago... and backwards (it was a right handed), so I couldn't make an accurate opinion of this guitar. The neck was fast and the action quite low, but I guess the setting could have been better.
            In addition, it was plugged into a small combo...

All this is not a good support for the RG, in comparison to this high end JEM plugged into a Cadillac stack amp, and played on the right side !

The only thing I can tell you is, while not particularly being a shredding afficionado, I have improved a step higher since I received this one about a month ago ! The setting is flawless, I just have to put my fingers and run. The harmonics come easily, the sustain is great, even with the single coil, strat type, supposedly weaker in dynamics. The bridge stays tuned, even when dive bombing. Since I started playing it, I only had (once) to turn a little the high E string's fine tuning knob...

And it's a very light guitar (I don't remember how heavy was the RG. I was seated when playing).

Not sure this will help you much, sorry for that.
            FRENCHPAW

Comment

more pictures

Here are some other pictures of this special lefty.
              If the upload works, I'll add one or two more.
              Attached Files
              FRENCHPAW

Comment

other pics and axes

Here are the 2 ones I have on the Jem.
                Since it's a showroom here, I just mention my other axes :

- Fender Stratocaster US '50th Anniversary'. Great guitar : well balanced, a push-pull on the volume knob to boost the pickups, tuner lockers, etc.

- Line 6 Variax 500 custom (pickguard, gotoh tuners and knobs, etc).

- Yamaha APX10 Cutaway electo acoustic

- Cort Artisan 4 string passive bass

- On order : Warwick Thumb 5 string bolt-on bass (the natural oil finish).
                Attached Files
                FRENCHPAW

Comment

Do the scalloped frets make a difference? They are so close together up there, but for some reason I feel like it would make it easier to hit those notes clearly.

Comment

Yes, to my opinion, it makes quite a difference.
                    It's not that you really feel a void under your finger, but playing on those scalloped cases kind of forgives your finger positioning, especially when you play fast. And it's made even easier to access them due to the deep cutaway and thin neck.
                    You also get a little more sustain if you wanna hold the note, which is not bad either (you generally can't hold high notes for very long, due to the shorter length of the string up there...).
                    FRENCHPAW

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchPaw View Post
                      Yes, to my opinion, it makes quite a difference.
                      It's not that you really feel a void under your finger, but playing on those scalloped cases kind of forgives your finger positioning, especially when you play fast. And it's made even easier to access them due to the deep cutaway and thin neck.
                      You also get a little more sustain if you wanna hold the note, which is not bad either (you generally can't hold high notes for very long, due to the shorter length of the string up there...).
                      that's what I figured. If they came out with a Jem with the pyramid inlays and in desert sun yellow or shocking pink I would have 1000% bought one. I'm very jealous of you!

Comment

Sorry Jesse, my intention was not to make you jealous !
                        However, your lineup would also make many of us jealous too...

I personally prefer the tree of life inlay on the Jem's neck (that pyramid thing is a bit 'déjà vu' now), though it might be better to have such marks to help you when you play.

As for colours, you seem to like the flashy stuff (from what I've also seen in your collection). I kinda like it too, but more of the swirl thing (ie : your blue Jackson. Very cool).

I hope those lefty Jems and JS will appear soon on the second hand market, so that you can afford one and have it personalized in pink or yellow. The inlay changing work might be a bit more expensive, however...

Good luck for that.
                        FRENCHPAW

Comment

That Jem is hot. Congrats!

Comment

I don't understand, what temporary axes is Ibanez making? The JEM and JS lefties have been out for a while.

Comment

Great axe dude! Don't get me gassing for one of those, please. I'm trying to cut back....

Comment

Working...
                              X