1979 Guild S-300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Guild S-300

Well, I got it today and let me first say - who sells a guitar for $1G and doesn't clean it up a little? Man, it was filthy! I spent about 2 hours cleaning it up, waxing, lemon oiled the fretboard, slight setup to my taste and new EB 10-46's and now plays and looks sweet! This thing rivals a Gibby LP no problem! Also, someone upgraded the bridge P/U to a Dimarzio Super Dist. which came standard on the S-300D. A few cosmetic flaws as I suspected with a guitar from 1979, but all in all, not too bad. Needs a re-fret, but I can deal for now. The case DEFINITELY looks 30 years old. Beat to S&%T! Check out the pics and any comments appreciated...

jesus man

i envy you

you can trade me that thing for one of my axes anytime

post a video of that sweet axe plugged in if you can!
    Originally posted by metalchurch
    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

Congrat!!! What a fine looking guitar. I've always wanted to buy an old Guild and this one looks nice!! How does it play though? Is the neck fat like an LP? Just curious since I'm sorta looking for one of these.

Comment

What a rare and beautiful guitar, congrats I hope she treats you well.

Comment

the neck looks like a hard c, like slightly thinner than a 60's les paul

Comment

Originally posted by lostinthemasses View Post
            the neck looks like a hard c, like slightly thinner than a 60's les paul
            He's right. Thin but very comfy. Just feels nice IMO...

Comment

With no one home today I could crank the amp and gave it a workout and MAN it plays and sounds great. The thin neck is SO smooth - so easy to play. Good for my taste anyway. I can get a lot of good tones with it too. Can't wait to bring it to band practice tonight.

I spent an hour just cleaning the case today and it looks great now too. What I first thought was more dirt under the grime is actually a cool swirly pattern in the tan vinyl!! Nice!

Last edited by saltysidedown; 03-14-2009, 01:37 AM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Originally posted by saltysidedown View Post
                Well, I got it today and let me first say - who sells a guitar for $1G and doesn't clean it up a little? Man, it was filthy! I spent about 2 hours cleaning it up, waxing, lemon oiled the fretboard, slight setup to my taste and new EB 10-46's and now plays and looks sweet! This thing rivals a Gibby LP no problem! Also, someone upgraded the bridge P/U to a Dimarzio Super Dist. which came standard on the S-300D. A few cosmetic flaws as I suspected with a guitar from 1979, but all in all, not too bad. Needs a re-fret, but I can deal for now. The case DEFINITELY looks 30 years old. Beat to S&%T! Check out the pics and any comments appreciated...
                Actually, now I'm not sure it needs a re-fret. They are flat but they don't look flat from wear. Guitar plays too good - you would expect a lot of buzz from very worn frets and this just doesn't have any.

Comment

if the frets were really worn there'd be uneven spots and gouges in them

that case looks really nice, i've got 2 just like it

Comment

if the frets were really worn there'd be uneven spots and gouges in them

that case looks really nice, i've got 2 just like it
                    Right - and I don't see any gouges or uneven spots. I'm assuming they are just flat style frets that I'm not used to - but let me tell you, the band was totally impressed on how this sounded! I think I found the holy grail of guitars!! The reviews I read were spot on! Get one if you can!

The case was a diamond in the rough - looked like crap but cleaned up amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by twokings View Post
                      Congrat!!! What a fine looking guitar. I've always wanted to buy an old Guild and this one looks nice!! How does it play though? Is the neck fat like an LP? Just curious since I'm sorta looking for one of these.
                      All I can say is if you can find one - get it! I can't say enough about this guitar. It plays like nothing I've ever owned. Neck is thin like a 60's Les Paul - perhaps a bit thinner like L.I.T.M. said but for me feels great.

Comment

what i'd give for a left handed s-100 polara, any generation of it, theyre so much cooler than an sg

Comment

Damn, Salty, that Guild is the cat's ass! You didn't get it for free but you definitely got a great guitar for your money........she's a sexy bitch!
                          Great transactions with:

cmartin(3X)
                          Dave at XLGUITARS(3X)
                          Mrkhorne
                          walter4music(3X)

Comment

what i'd give for a left handed s-100 polara, any generation of it, theyre so much cooler than an sg
                            They are definitely cool too. If it plays anything like the S-300 you'll be in heaven...

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty View Post
                              Damn, Salty, that Guild is the cat's ass! You didn't get it for free but you definitely got a great guitar for your money........she's a sexy bitch!
                              Thanks Lefty!

Comment

Working...
                              X