1955 Epiphone Deluxe Zephyr Regent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Epiphone Deluxe Zephyr Regent.

Yeah, it's a mouthful. Deluxe is the model. Zephyr means that it was electric, and Regent means that it had a cutaway, and not fullbody.
    Made 2 years before Epiphone was sold to Gibson.
    In 65 the original owner sent it back to Gibson for a refret, and at the same time, they took off the New York pickup and replaced it with a Gibson mini-humbucker.
    The original owner really did not play it much after 65. And it sat under a bed. It is in virtually perfect condition. (Compared to my 52 that looks aged to perfection) Even the case and case interior is perfect too. (Compared to my 52 where the case looks like it was tossed down flights of stairs and left to soak in beer.)
    The original pickup is in the case compartment.
    I removed the pickguard, as it was rippling and getting ready to self destruct and spontaneously melt, as ones from this era are wont to do.
    Tuners, bridge and tail are all original to the guitar.

It has a nice light and bright sound (as an acoustic). As an electric, it can't be beat either!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Diogenes; 02-17-2009, 02:38 AM.

Two nice Epiphones you have there, mind me asking what type of neck profile they have ? Just wondering if they are similar to say a '50s or '60s Les Paul shape.

Comment

Do you mean as in a Gibson made LP electric?

An LP electric solid body only began in 52 at Gibson.

Epi did not make a solid body electric until was owned by Gibson in the late 50's. So any Epi electric neck was of Gibson design.

The neck on a hollowbody Archtop is NOT gonna be like an electric, as it was intended for heavier strings. The 52 is made from laminated wood in 7 layers. So it was able to be slender, but it is still not slim.

The 55 has a great truss, and is very light and fast.

But the feel is not that of an LP. Gibson and Epi were at eachother's throats at this time. They went out of the way to make sure there was a difference.

And the LP neck at Gibson did change many times from 52 to 69. Every few years slight changes.

That is what makes sing differently.

I can say that compared to a 1948 Gretsch, the Epi's are toothpicks compared to a Gretsh baseball bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
        Do you mean as in a Gibson made LP electric?

An LP electric solid body only began in 52 at Gibson.

Epi did not make a solid body electric until was owned by Gibson in the late 50's. So any Epi electric neck was of Gibson design.

The neck on a hollowbody Archtop is NOT gonna be like an electric, as it was intended for heavier strings. The 52 is made from laminated wood in 7 layers. So it was able to be slender, but it is still not slim.

The 55 has a great truss, and is very light and fast.

But the feel is not that of an LP. Gibson and Epi were at eachother's throats at this time. They went out of the way to make sure there was a difference.

And the LP neck at Gibson did change many times from 52 to 69. Every few years slight changes.

That is what makes sing differently.

I can say that compared to a 1948 Gretsch, the Epi's are toothpicks compared to a Gretsh baseball bat.
        Thanks for the reply. I was really only using the LP neck as a reference, it's highly unlikely that I will ever play one of those vintage Epiphones, they look good.

Comment

Very nice guitar

Comment

Working...
          X