FedEx stole my guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FedEx stole my guitar

Guys, this is a really long story, but I'm near the end of it now. I couldn't talk about it much earlier, so I've just been sitting on it. As you read this, know that yesterday I got the guitar back, so right now I'm just out some extra money. I'm posting it to share the fact it can happen, and when it does, it sucks bad. I can't share pics until the trial.

About 10 weeks ago, I bought a pretty cool guitar from a private Reverb seller and fellow lefty. I paid by PayPal, and he had the guitar shipping by FedEx the next day. 5 days later, a tracking notification told me they delivered the guitar. It was cold, so I rushed home to pull it inside, but there was no guitar - holy crap, this has never happened to me before.

I have security video, so I checked it for evidence of a thief. What I saw instead was that there had never been a delivery. So I called FedEx, told them that, and requested a trace. They said "we'll let you know something within 4 days". They didn't.

After 4 days, I called to see what was up, and they said they didn't see any notes about a trace. I ranted until they transferred me to the local Ops manager, who started a trace. Of course evidence and memories are much different 4 days after the fact. The trace revealed nothing. For weeks, FedEx was doing nothing about it and only giving me and the seller the worst runaround you can imagine.

After a couple of weeks of FedEx stonewalling, I decided the guitar must have been stolen, and filed a police report. A week later, the investigating officer thought he might have located the guitar at a pawn shop - he's really good, that doesn't usually happen. A few days later, he got to it in person to compare it to the seller's pictures, took a picture of his own, and it was my guitar, no question. The police had the pawn shop put the guitar on hold during their investigation, so they couldn't sell it.

FedEx continued to pretend to the seller that they had no clue what was going on, even after the police were trying hard to get them to cooperate. Amazingly, they were giving the police the same runaround they gave me and the seller, and it has never let up. Nothing the seller or I can do makes any difference - FedEx is still refusing to take responsibility to this day. They won't even talk to me, and it sounds like they're now going that far with the seller too.

So more than 9 weeks after it was pawned, the police are still building their case, but sent me a letter allowing me to buy the guitar out of pawn. That's right, in my state, a pawn shop doesn't have to give up a stolen guitar to its owner. The owner has to either sue for it or buy it out of pawn for the pawned value. I'd have to buy the guitar a second time before I've even played it.

I bought it out of pawn yesterday, and the electronics are a bit oxidized from the experience, but it's otherwise ok. I'm calling it "Pawnee", and writing a song called "FedEx stole my guitar". They still owe me for non-delivery and for having to buy my own guitar out of pawn, and sure owe me, the seller, and the police huge apologies, but I doubt any of that will happen.

Here are the thoughts it leaves me with:

First, I will never allow anything of mine to be shipped by FedEx again because they work hard to avoid responsibility for their own errors. They could've figured out what happened the day they didn't deliver it, but failed at every opportunity to do the right thing instead.

Second, PayPal's buyer protection promise of "If you don't receive your item, you're covered" is overstated. PayPal's buyer protection doesn't protect you unless the seller did something wrong, and in this case, the seller was top-notch, had nothing to do with the problem. PayPal didn't back its marketing promise.

Third, I hope it doesn't, but if something like this happens to you, do file a police report. That is the only thing that allowed us to find the guitar. The police have been great in this case, and there are so many pawn shops in my town that I probably wouldn't have found the guitar before it was sold without the police. In retrospect, it now makes sense there are a lot of pawn shops here - they're allowed to buy and sell stolen goods, yikes.

Geez, that's crazy. Glad you found it but I can't believe you had to buy it back again. Worst shipping story ever.

Comment

Wow, that really sucks. You said you can't share pics til the trial? Who are you after in this, if you're allowed to share? FedEX I assume?

Comment

Originally posted by beneharris View Post
        Wow, that really sucks. You said you can't share pics til the trial? Who are you after in this, if you're allowed to share? FedEX I assume?
        Yeah, the police are going after the driver, and I'm supporting their case, but that's going to be an embezzlement charge, which finds FedEx the victim instead of me.

So the seller and I still have to go after FedEx to make it right. FedEx says they only deal with the shipper, and they keep lying to and avoiding him, so they obviously don't want to admit they are responsible for what happens after they let a local driver take it. If they say they'll get it to the addressee, they are responsible when they don't.

Any good company, on realizing it was their own driver, would have said "We're sorry, and we'll figure out how to make this right". They've gone to ridiculous ends to avoid doing that. So FedEx, in my book, is not at all a good company.

Comment

The fuck? I can't even imagine how angry I would be in this situation. Honestly, I'm pretty angry right now just reading this.

Comment

*Sorry if this shows up twice, I posted but didn't show the first time.

That must have been really frustrating not to mention all the time you had to put into it. I'm curious if there was a signature on delivery or insurance. Glad you were able to recover the item!

Comment

Originally posted by socalanthony View Post
              *Sorry if this shows up twice, I posted but didn't show the first time.

That must have been really frustrating not to mention all the time you had to put into it. I'm curious if there was a signature on delivery or insurance. Glad you were able to recover the item!
              Thanks. The guitar is ok, too. No signature, but there was insurance, but FedEx denied the seller's claim. And some of my cameras are really obvious, so I don't think he even saw what house he was stealing from.
              SteveH
              Rockstar
              Last edited by SteveH; 04-10-2016, 12:00 AM. Reason: left out info

Comment

What the heck? Man that sucks, but I don't get how can courier just leave the package in front of the house without any confirmation? In Poland we don't have FedEx of course but from every other postal service/courier you have to sign when receiving package so such stupid situations don't happen.
                Package sent, doesn't get delivered and there is no signature of mine - clearly courier's fault and easy case
                I really don't get it :P
                THE Eargasm

Comment

Sucks big time that this happened....I do hope that you get reimbursed for money spent + a little extra for the aggravation...

It might be possible that the driver was/is not a FedEx employee (though this doesn't excuse FedEx for their behavior)...as I'm pretty sure that I remember reading that FedEx contracts their deliveries out to outside vendors....some drivers are company men, just not all of them...this does not excuse them for their actions and they need to stand up and take responsibility for their mistake....

Thank for putting this out there as it is a valuable lesson for all of us that ship goods across the country....I for one will always pay the extra amount for a required signature from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
                    Sucks big time that this happened....I do hope that you get reimbursed for money spent + a little extra for the aggravation...

It might be possible that the driver was/is not a FedEx employee (though this doesn't excuse FedEx for their behavior)...as I'm pretty sure that I remember reading that FedEx contracts their deliveries out to outside vendors....some drivers are company men, just not all of them...this does not excuse them for their actions and they need to stand up and take responsibility for their mistake....

Thank for putting this out there as it is a valuable lesson for all of us that ship goods across the country....I for one will always pay the extra amount for a required signature from now on.
                    Yeah, the driver was a contractor. I think FedEx hiring contractors instead of employing all their drivers just sets us up for more of this. People in jobs with less pay and less job security will do this crap more. And I agree 100% that it doesn't absolve FedEx of any liability - the driver was working for them, handling a duty that was their responsibility.

Comment

God damn Obama!
                      Originally posted by metalchurch
                      I had my ball sack appraised one time.
                      Originally posted by metalchurch
                      ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

Wow, I can't believe that this happened to you. I'm glad you got your guitar back, but man, that sure was some hassle. Hopefully FedEx gets what they have coming.

Comment

Does this sorta thing happen often? I ordered a guitar once online and the box was stepped on. Now I'm scared.

Comment

Originally posted by Luftwaffle View Post
                            Does this sorta thing happen often? I ordered a guitar once online and the box was stepped on. Now I'm scared.
                            From my experience, no, it doesn't happen often. This is about my 50th guitar, and the first time one disappeared on me. I just couldn't believe how truly bad FedEx refused to even acknowledge it. So I'm glad the odds are low, just want people to know what we're up against when it does occur.

Comment

Working...
                            X