X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gretsch G5135-CVT Corvette Demo...

Jerry, you may not get this one back!

Comment

Nice playing. Very Pink Floydy. I assume you like the guitar?

Comment

Effing sweet playing, Brotha! You've got GAS, huh?
        Great transactions with:

cmartin(3X)
        Dave at XLGUITARS(3X)
        Mrkhorne
        walter4music(3X)

Comment

Originally posted by beneharris View Post
          Nice playing. Very Pink Floydy. I assume you like the guitar?
          I am really digging this guitar! I may get one of the red ones, though. I'd like to see the mahogany!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic_ape View Post
            I am really digging this guitar! I may get one of the red ones, though. I'd like to see the mahogany!
            Ah, so that one was a demo? Yeah, I like the red one more, too. I like seeing the wood grain.

Comment

Thanks for the demo!!! These guitars intrigue me.

It's hard for me to tell over my speakers, but how does it compare to something like an SG or a Les Paul in terms of tone? Is it possible to get a good thick Cream-y tone from the neck, good crinkle on the bridge? Or does it sound more jangly?
              Ch Willie

Comment

I am trying to get a hold to a SG to do a direct comparison. As for aesthetics and fit, it is on SG territory. Sound wise, I've read they are compared to Rics. Not too sure about that.

I happen to prefer these Mega Tron pickups, though. I think they add a little extra sparkle, chime if you will, to the tone. Especially when playing with overdrive. Listen to the demo part around 3:30, when I start playing chords with distortion. There is a little extra note definition present. If you've played a neck humbucker on a Gibson, you know most of them are mud city! Then I learned these pickups are only available on this model. It's got something to do with this guitar being a solid body, unlike most Gretsch models.

Reading about it, the Mega Tron is a hot wound Filtertron. So, you get a little bit of that jangle, but also a little bit of humbucker there. I have only played a Gretsch with Filtertrons once, so I will not venture to compare them. It's been too long.

I assume the SG will sound a little different than the CVT. The SG may have more punch, but the CVT will be clearer. Maybe.

I can directly compare it to a LP tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Comment

Wow, thanks for the review. Now I'm really interested in these guitars. I've been to Jerry's site and looked at them quite a few times. Just can't buy right now.
                  Ch Willie

Comment

Layaway is your friend, my man!

Comment

I would, but I've got a bigger boner for a Gibson 335 or a Les Paul 59 reissue. I'm fooling myself that I can get those tones from anything "lesser." Also, it's a matter of what I grew up seeing and hearing. I'm leaning toward the 335 because it's so versatile. Yes, I know Gibson isn't the greatest any longer, but the heart wants what the heart wants...
                      Ch Willie

Comment

Originally posted by ch willie View Post
                        I would, but I've got a bigger boner for a Gibson 335 or a Les Paul 59 reissue. I'm fooling myself that I can get those tones from anything "lesser." Also, it's a matter of what I grew up seeing and hearing. I'm leaning toward the 335 because it's so versatile. Yes, I know Gibson isn't the greatest any longer, but the heart wants what the heart wants...
                        The Japanese Tokai 335's are pretty nice looking and much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by ch willie View Post
                          If you're gonna spend that kind of dough on a 335, I'd suggest you check out a Collings I-35LC! I've played one before. It's on my list!

Comment

Working...
                          X