How about an LGT custom guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about an LGT custom guitar?

I got to thinking the other day. Yeah scary thought, I know. I think it would be cool if the members of this forum designed a guitar and had it put into production. The Shine guitars thread kind of gave me the idea. We could approach Rondo or the place that sells the Shine guitars and see if they would be down with doing something like this and then do some voting on how we as a group would like to have it done and see if we can make it work. I think it would also be a good way to get some publicity out there for the site.
    Disclaimer:

I'm a loud, foul mouthed, redneck. I have no problem speaking my mind. I've made mistakes in the past and I've reconciled them. If you weren't personally involved, then shut the hell up. It's none of your business and you probably don't know the whole story anyway. Be cool w/ me and I'll return the favor. If you're a douchebag, I'll be the first to tell you.

Like me or hate me, I don't really care which.

That sounds interesting. Could be tough though. This site is pretty diverse guitar wise. Some guys on here love Mosrites/Rics/Teles....all that old stuff, then there are guys that like jazz boxes and flat tops. Then, of course guys like me that love ERGs and pointy headstocks. I'd be down with the idea....just not sure how we could fit a feature each person likes into one axe.

You know me.....it would be RG shaped, 24 fret, maple fretboard, stainless frets, sperzels, string through, hipshot bridge, 7 string, one EMG 707 in the neck, one EMG 707x in the bridge one volume knob, 3 way toggle, graphtec nut, brass ferrules, rear routed body, Alder, threaded brass inserts for the neck bolts, stainless allen head neck bolts, ESP stainless battery box, all stainless screws for the cavity covers.....but that's just me.
    Mustaine: He's brilliant; I love him. But then you see some guy like Buckethead… Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours.

Comment

I think this was discussed a couple of years ago, a limited Jackson run if I remember correctly. I don't think anything came of it.

Comment

I think the cost of the Jackson run would have been close to $3K, so that had to eliminate a bunch of folks. Plus it was metal as hell

That's the catch-22. The USA made guitars can be ordered in smaller batches, but the price is high. The import guitars would fit better into a lot of people's budgets, but it requires more orders than I think we could put together.

Plus, it's hard to get people to agree on specs no matter which way you go, and having common specs is what keeps the price down.
        I like pointy guitars.

Comment

There is a diverse crowd here, that's for sure. Budget wise, this will also be difficult to coordinate.

If you ask me, I'd want a Fender EJ strat, but not even Southpaw has succeeded at getting that done, so...

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
            I think the cost of the Jackson run would have been close to $3K, so that had to eliminate a bunch of folks. Plus it was metal as hell

That's the catch-22. The USA made guitars can be ordered in smaller batches, but the price is high. The import guitars would fit better into a lot of people's budgets, but it requires more orders than I think we could put together.

Plus, it's hard to get people to agree on specs no matter which way you go, and having common specs is what keeps the price down.
            That is exactly what I was thinking too. Some guys are into jazz, blues and old rock. Others are into metal and harder styles of metal. Each of the guitars suitable for each type of style is noticeably different. It would be nearly impossible to make a guitar that fits the bill and covers all the genres perfectly.

Some guys dig the vintage looks......personally I don't. I like the extreme styled guitars, Xiphos, Destroyer, V, etc....or the sharp edges of the RG/JEM. I also prefer 24 frets over 22.....even if I don't venture into the higher notes very often the double octave neck just feels more "at home" in my hands. Some guys can't stand 24 frets. I wish I could get the "RG Extreme Shredding Machine" that would be neat.

At any rate it would be fun to brainstorm. I mean look at the nerds that engage in the "fantasy football" thing.....or even D&D. They seem to have fun doing that. No offense to the nerds that do that.
            Mustaine: He's brilliant; I love him. But then you see some guy like Buckethead… Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic_ape View Post
              There is a diverse crowd here, that's for sure. Budget wise, this will also be difficult to coordinate.

If you ask me, I'd want a Fender EJ strat, but not even Southpaw has succeeded at getting that done, so...
              If you hunt the thread, Elliot Easton posted here and is wanting to do a run of Fender EJ strats but i doubt i can afford getting in on one.

My next guitar will probably be a P90's of some sort...........but that new Cobain looks nice lol

Guys at leftyfrets.net are doing a couple runs of Mosrites and i think they have P90's? maybe i can get in on the 2nd run.......
              aka rolling56

Comment

Whoa triggers! You guys are all talking about $1000+ MIA guitars except for Ibanez guy, but he's still talking over that price point to. I'm talking about working with a place like Rondo for a $200/$300 Agile.
                Disclaimer:

I'm a loud, foul mouthed, redneck. I have no problem speaking my mind. I've made mistakes in the past and I've reconciled them. If you weren't personally involved, then shut the hell up. It's none of your business and you probably don't know the whole story anyway. Be cool w/ me and I'll return the favor. If you're a douchebag, I'll be the first to tell you.

Comment

Don't get me wrong guys. I understand where everyone is coming from. I think everyone has the idea of a the perfect guitar for them. However, to be able to do this, all of us would have to set those ideas aside or there is really no way we'd ever get this done. We do this every year or so on the Seymour Duncan forum. The forum members vote on the specs of a Custom Shop pickup and SD winds it's for us when all the voting is done. Actually, what I'm proposing would be easier because we'd have to work within the confines of what is already offered. We would just be putting our own little twists on it.
                  Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.9 Fingers View Post
                    Whoa triggers! You guys are all talking about $1000+ MIA guitars except for Ibanez guy, but he's still talking over that price point to. I'm talking about working with a place like Rondo for a $200/$300 Agile.
                    no SX's for me..........i have one here that needed more fret work than i wanted to mess with. Maybe the Agiles are good to go but no more SX's for me

I've been stocking up on tools from Stew-Mac for doing my own work now but i don't need anymore crap half finished guitars here......
                    aka rolling56

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                      no SX's for me..........i have one here that needed more fret work than i wanted to mess with. Maybe the Agiles are good to go but no more SX's for me

I've been stocking up on tools from Stew-Mac for doing my own work now but i don't need anymore crap half finished guitars here......
                      Most of the Agiles I have played/owned have been pretty solid right out of the box. Their cheaper guitars are something to be desired though. Both of the SX guitars I've owned needed serious fret and nut work to get decent action out of them.
                      Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                        If you hunt the thread, Elliot Easton posted here and is wanting to do a run of Fender EJ strats but i doubt i can afford getting in on one.
                        I've seen the thread. I think I commented on it, too. That is just wishful thinking, as I am pretty sure I'd just buy a Suhr Custom, when the time is right. I just missed my chance of buying one by like a week (of course, of course) and went with something else instead...

Originally posted by Mr.9 Fingers View Post
                        I knew that's what you were talking about, man. You mentioned Rondo, so I knew. I've had my share of cheap guitars that need upgrading and I personally feel the only guitar under $500 that is worth owning is the Epiphone Dot (and maybe an Eastwood, but I am yet to try them). Since I needed a Strat, I got a used MIM on GC and I intend to upgrade it eventually, but that's it for me.

So, I guess I'll just let you guys discuss amongst yourselves and have fun reading through this thread. I've read similar threads on other forums and they are always fun! I know Jerry has done lefty runs on some more obscure guitars in the past, so we should definitely have him join the conversation.

Comment

I did see the Rondo comment man! However, if you look at the prices for the custom shop Agiles they are still above the $500 mark. If I had to settle on specs and put all heavy metal ideas aside.

Well, I'd probably go with the Agile AL shape, 25.5" scale, 22 fret, Medium Jumbos, SD pups, 1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way toggle, 3/4" Maple cap on Mahogany body, Neck thru, 5 piece neck (consisting of Mahogany-Maple-Bubinga-Maple-Mahogany), Grover tuners, String through, Recessed Tone Pros TOM, Rosewood fretboard with black binding, no pickguard, direct mount pups, Abalone dot inlays.......So it would be sort of AL3000+ spec.

Not to change the subject but did anyone see those new Douglas Grendel 7 strings? Dumb name I know.....but they look GREAT. I have a Douglas V and it is actually pretty decent.

Comment

An Agile or Douglas would work. Dougies are very well made. But this is something that would be tough to design. Like most have said, we all have different wants and needs. But... it sure would be fun, even if we don't get one made. Just a design that we could take credit for.

I say, let's do this just for fun if nothing else?

Comment

So, can we settle on a design/model?
                              va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
                              Originally posted by chilton
                              Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
                              www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X