Trigger Finger Itch...Gadow!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigger Finger Itch...Gadow!?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Gadow.

I've been looking for months. I sold my only bucker guitar, an Orville LP, and I've been on the prowl ever since.

My criteria:

-USA made
    -Hollow body
    -Some sort of "F" hole
    -Small company

Basically it came down to a custom Rice of my design, a Hamer Newport or an Artist, and a Gadow Custom Hollowbody.

I had several talks with Rice. I was wanting a particular wood type at the time and it fell through with them on their end.

Hamer is great but almost too big to fit the bill. I like their guitars but they are plentiful. I want something a tad more unique.

Initially I wanted something of a 335/337 design. Maybe a florentine cutaway. In my studies I learned that sharp corners are not conducive to producing resonance. Out with the sharp florentine.

Then I decided that I wanted to support a company who's overall designs I liked. Rice has a couple that do not appeal to me at all. Out with Rice.

Which brings me to Gadow. I love their designs. I don't like the fact that they have a cheaper line. It's almost a sell-out to me.
    But, they are American-made, a small company, in North Carolina which is my home state and where I'll die if I have a choice in the matter, and the Custom Hollowbody is a tad unique.

I'm having to get over the cheaper line and the p-paint. I've got an inquiry in to see if I can get nitro. Maybe even an unfinished one and have someone else spray it. That wood's gotta breath fella's!

Anybody have any in-sight into Gadow?
    http://www.appalachianframery.com

Don't forget about Heritage ....

Millennium Standard Ultra, semi solid construction

body construction ...

Heritage are a custom shop, you can spec your own wood package, pickups etc. etc.

Comment

keep us posted! Hope it isn't insane...like when I priced out a Ran.

Comment

that's a drag, why would a supplier ignore you? Times are tough they should be doing jumping jacks for you!

Comment

I read about that last week (I think). That is too sad. From what I've heard the man was a pure artistic genius. RIP

Best of luck to you finding a replacement to build your p/u's.

Comment

Originally posted by zion View Post
            But, they are American-made, a small company, in North Carolina which is my home state and where I'll die if I have a choice in the matter
            Anybody have any in-sight into Gadow?
            Great company, even if they are located a little too close to Dook University.

Anyway here's the site for the person who does their finishes (also in Durham, NC).
            (Loud Volume Intro) http://www.rowycokustoms.com/RK_home.html
            Don't let the zaniness fool you - Stike does awesome work!

He also has a link to North Carolina guitar-related companies, including Zion Guitars...
            http://www.rowycokustoms.com/RK_links.html

Enjoy.
            Last edited by LefThanDed; 02-26-2010, 07:44 AM. Reason: note

Comment

Originally posted by zion
              And the wife now knows of this guitar and I'm still married so that went well.
              LOL, I can't wait to see it finished...got an estimated delivery date?

Comment

No finish date yet. But here's a body shot....

Attached Files

Comment

Nice germanized carve. Don't see 'em that big that often. Looks like there's a lot of sealing to be done, huge grain, absolutely love the way that looks. What's those black pits on/in there?
                  va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
                  Originally posted by chilton
                  Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
                  www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

They'll be filled I assume? With a transparent filler? I like the look these holes give the guitar! As long as the worms are long gone...
                    www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

I have always wanted to try Gadow. I first ran across them at Adirondack guitars. He carries all types of leftys. I just can never seem to pull the trigger. Tell us what it is like when you get it.

Comment

www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Lookin' like she'll be done next week. Must not think about it...Must find some kind of distraction...

Comment

So close, so close.

Talked to Gadow today. Looks like LEFTY push/pull pots do not exist.

Going with righties but of course loose that little bit o' taper.

Comment

I have looked and never found them .

Comment

Working...
                              X