Getting Lucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Lucky

I walked into one of our local guitar stores (Toronto area) looking for a Lefty, and they had a Left Handed Standard Strat (made in Mexico). It's now sitting on the guitar stand behind me. Nice guitar. Candy Apple Red.

Thus ends a month of looking for the right guitar. I wanted something good, but not too good (budget, budget, budget). I also didn't want something built in Asia (bad experiences in the past).

So let's see how a Mexican made guitar does.

I have a MIM Jazz bass and it's the bees knees. You may want to change the pickups down the line, but I bet its a fine guitar. Pics?

Comment

My lefty collection

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
      I have a MIM Jazz bass and it's the bees knees. You may want to change the pickups down the line, but I bet its a fine guitar. Pics?
      Let me see if this works <G>. I had to shrink the hell out of it, and I took the original using the camera on my IPhone, so it wasn't that hot to begin with. But here's my collection.

Yamaha Bass
      Fender Stratocaster Standard
      Art & Lutherie Acoustic (just picked it up today)

The only one I bought new was the Fender (they told me it had been rented out to someone who was making a music video - wasn't played at all - just sat in the background - should have asked what video). The Yamaha came with a Crate practice amp, and I have a ten year old Epiphone 100 watt amp if I want to get noisy.

I bought all of the guitars since summer, total investment excluding the old amp is less than $1000.00 Canadian, or about $950.00 U.S.

But DAMN! It's nice to be able to play again. I wish I'd have thought of switching hands years ago, after my left wrist got wrecked (I can't do chords with the left hand, because it doesn't bend any more - luckily I can strum!)
      Attached Files

Comment

that's a nice strat color, goes great with the maple fretboard. Now all you need is an axe with humbuckers and you got everything covered for the most part.

Comment

axe with humbuckers

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
          that's a nice strat color, goes great with the maple fretboard. Now all you need is an axe with humbuckers and you got everything covered for the most part.
          Um, well, they had one of those as well, but my wife would only let me spend so much....

Comment

Humbuckers are nice, but don't forget P-90's.

Comment

my first axe was a MIM strat with a rosewood board in midnight wine

after mods and mods and mods this is what it looks like:

Originally posted by metalchurch
              I had my ball sack appraised one time.
              Originally posted by metalchurch
              ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

Nice

Nice. Very nice.

But I need a little help. I mostly play folk. Which means straight acoustic. I'm just getting into electric.

While I like what I see, I don't understand it. What do the modified pickups do?

Comment

Different pickups achieve different sounds. Higher quality pickups achieve higher quality sound (usually).

Single coils (like what your strat has) are known for their clarity and brightness - think SRV, Eric Clapton, and Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)

Humbuckers (like on Lost's) are known for their warmth and punchiness - think Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), Angus Young (AC/DC), and Joe Perry (Aerosmith)

P-90's are somewhere inbetween...more clarity than a humbucker, but more mellow than single coils - think Pete Townsend (The Who), Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath), and George Thorogood.

Of course, then there's Telecaster pickups, Jazzmaster pickups, Charlie Christian Pickups, mini humbuckers, Firebird pickups, Gretsch Dynasonics....
                  Last edited by exalted; 11-23-2009, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Well I wouldn't mind a further lesson in pickups

Not that long ago my wife mentioned that she wanted me to record her. I was thinking of going Mac anyway, and that decided things, since OSX ships with Garage Band.

And there are bits and pieces out there that I've read that have helped, but to a large extent I still don't have a clue.

For example we were using a "bottle cap" pick up (piezoelectric passive) to record the guitar. You stick it onto an acoustic guitar using MacTac. It sounded like shit. Which was really bad, because it was on a $1000.00 guitar.

So she broke, and bought herself an inexpensive Fender Acoustic with an active system built in. Damned thing sounds great, plugged or unplugged. Then she got bushwhacked by a Fender 12 string acoustic with active electronics (now you know how I got away with my toy buying spree). It sounds great.

The I saw some MacTac at the dollar store (damned stuff is hard to find these days) and replaced the ten year old MacTac on the bottle cap pickup. Now it sounds pretty decent. We tried it on both the $1000.00 acoustic, and also on my left handed acoustic ($150.00 used) to prove the point. And yes, with fresh MacTac the pickup sounds a lot better. Not as good as the built in pickups, but pretty good.

And of course the Strat sounds different than the acoustic/electrics, and you can make it sound even more different by flipping the switch (5 positions).

But I don't have a clue what I'm doing most of the time, and at least for the recording we are doing of Heather's music, I'd like to get it right, which means in part making sure we are using the right guitars, for the right songs.

Guess what I'm saying, is any suggestions/information will be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by lostinthemasses View Post
                      my first axe was a MIM strat with a rosewood board in midnight wine

after mods and mods and mods this is what it looks like:

Hopfully you'll offer that thing up here one day ...lol
                      Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Working...
                      X