Guitar copying; OK or No Way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar copying; OK or No Way?

Since a lot of guitar manufacturers refuse to build every model in their range lefthanded, some of us turn to luthiers to copy a certain guitar for them.
    Some also see an economical reason for not purchasing the 'original' model from the guitar manufacturer that launched, pretty much owns it. Just look at all the Les Paul copies that are around, some of which (it is said) are even of higher quality than the ones Gibson builds.
    What do you feel about copies; OK or No Way?
    va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
    Originally posted by chilton
    Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
    www.dutchcassidy.com

I am definitely OK with it. If the companies don't want to make what we want, we'll find someone who will (probably cheaper too!).

Comment

A~OK~! Just can't use their label, I don't like that. Sets up people to mislead someone down the road.
      Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Only if they can copy this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ20G...eature=related

although this sounds more like my playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoi-YRW_YKA&

joe...

Comment

If the guitars are mass produced to be identical to a main line of guitars, abso f..king lutely not. I just feel that is wrong, just plain out wrong. If one has a guitar built to their specs by a luthier for their own interest and don't pawn it off as a Gibson, Fender, or place brand name here, why not.

There were 2 EPI fakes on the local CL over the weekend and with christmas coming up, I hope some poor soul didn't bite. Probably not as the seller actually had them priced higher than the retail stores. The twit stated the MLP and lowered the price by $100, but it was still more expensive than a GC or MF.

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPunk View Post
            That's the best ... lol
            Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Companies generally turn a blind eye as long as the luthier isn't stealing their business, i.e. selling tons of straight up copies or putting their name on the copies headstock. Even then, if you look at someone like RAN guitars, most of their output is BC Rich and ESP copies.

Comment

The manufacturers don't care when it comes down to it, and that's why companies like Warmoth have been around since the 70's.

Comment

They only care when someone is putting out production guitars that are very similar to their own, priced similarly and of a better quality. This is why Ibanez and ESP got the lawsuit in the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by exalted View Post
                    The manufacturers don't care when it comes down to it, and that's why companies like Warmoth have been around since the 70's.
                    In fact, the manufacturers do care. If the company is producing exact copies of bodies, necks, etc. they must buy a license from the original manufacturer to be legal. Otherwise the OEM can (and will!) send the corporate lawyers after the copycat. I know All Parts sells "Licensed by Fender" necks and bodies for building Strats and Teles. This is legal. Fender gets a fee for approving the use of their name on the product (usually stamped into the neck pocket, "Licensed by Fender"). It is not legal to put a real Fender headstock decal on said necks and pass them off as Fender guitar necks.......they must be sold as "licensed by". The end user can do as he/she pleases, but not so for the licensed seller.
                    Knowin' where you're goin' in mostly knowin' where you have been Me, from Me & Eddie

Comment

Buc

check out the december gom thread!!!
                      Originally posted by metalchurch
                      I had my ball sack appraised one time.
                      Originally posted by metalchurch
                      ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

everyone makes Copies, take a look at all the Major Mfgs, their all copies!! The orignal shpaes were Les PAul and Strat, look at all the Spinofss from those!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buc McMaster View Post
                          In fact, the manufacturers do care. If the company is producing exact copies of bodies, necks, etc. they must buy a license from the original manufacturer to be legal. Otherwise the OEM can (and will!) send the corporate lawyers after the copycat. I know All Parts sells "Licensed by Fender" necks and bodies for building Strats and Teles. This is legal. Fender gets a fee for approving the use of their name on the product (usually stamped into the neck pocket, "Licensed by Fender"). It is not legal to put a real Fender headstock decal on said necks and pass them off as Fender guitar necks.......they must be sold as "licensed by". The end user can do as he/she pleases, but not so for the licensed seller.

Well, perhaps I misspoke. The companies might care, but they usually can't do much about it. Yes, Fender licenses a few companies to make replacement necks, but that's because of the headstock design. The bodies are not licensed by Fender and do not state anything like that anywhere on their website or on the products themselves.

When it comes to body design, the copyright issues become much less certain. That's why PRS won in their legal battle against Gibson. Gibson claimed that the PRS singlecuts were far too similar to the Les Pauls and might cause confusion, but the judge ruled in favor of PRS stating that 'only a fool would mistake a PRS for a Gibson at the point of sale'.

As an end user, do absolutely anything that makes you happy. If you find a superior product for less money but a different brand name than the traditional, don't worry about it. Gibson and Fender are doing okay as it is charging what they do for what amount to mediocre instruments.

Comment

That's a can of worms.

Comment

But who would want to make a 100% copy?

Seriously. Yeah, Fender and Gibson make some damned good guitars. But how many people drop in new pickups for better/different sound? Everyone changes the strings (I'm an Ernie Ball man myself). Who doesn't mess with the electronics? My brand new Left Handed Strat is a great guitar. I love it. But I'm going to rip out and replace ALL of the electronics. Fender Electronics are pedestrian at best. Gibson electronics are no better.

And let's face it. Stratocaster and Les Paul styles aren't perfect. Everyone who builds guitars makes changes. I'm planning on building a Telecaster clone. Heck, that might even happen this winter. I'll buy a Fender neck, but the body will be my take on what a body for a left handed guitarist should be.

And why shouldn't you hire a luthier to convert a right handed guitar to left handed? You'd hire a luthier to modify your guitar in other ways.

There will always be someone making counterfeits. Hey, where there's money, there's thieves. But building your own interpretation? That's fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X