NGD: Fender Squier Standard SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Fender Squier Standard SE

I purchased this guitar earlier this week, just because it was available. It is a right handed Squier Strat in Cherry Burst. I saw the ad on CL offering the guitar and tweed HSC for $100 and figured it wouldn’t be a bad guitar to have around for when I have friends visiting.

The entire ordeal of purchasing the guitar would make a great short story. The seller lied and lied and lied about the silliest things. First he received the guitar for a Christmas present from mom a couple of years ago, next call it was a birthday present from his aunt a couple of years ago, and when we met it was a birthday present he received 2 months ago. He told us that he was selling the guitar because he had a “John Suhr” that he plays regularly. If that’s true, his guitar is worth more than his car.

The HSC had all 3 hinges on the backside broken. Someone forced the case open and figured 180 degrees wasn’t enough to get the guitar out so they tried to open it 270 degrees. Doesn’t work that way. We pulled the guitar out of the case and it had a half a dozen areas about 1/8” to 1/4” each where the paint was removed. He stood there and told us, “yeah it was perfect until yesterday when my mother dropped it”; I’m thinking she must have dropped it a few times!!!

As I’m getting ready to walk away, my friend Chris offers him $50. He politely declines and counters at $80. Chris pulls $60 out and says, here is what I’ve got:

Well when I get my new guitar home it is a wreck. He told us that he the strings replaced at a local shop but it was funny that they were all wound incorrectly at the tuners. The nuts for the tuners were all loose, not just a quick tighten and we’re good to go, but 2 or 3 turns to tighten. What a mess, I think all 6 strings were adjusted at different heights off of the fretboard. I should have asked him who his luthier was so I could avoid that person, even though I’m sure he was the luthier (and I’m using that word very loosely). I just remembered, all the p/u's were lowered so they were level with the scratch plate. Just toooo funny.

I put on new strings, adjusted everything as needed, and my buddy fixed the case up. As for the chips, thank goodness that my wife could be a nail polish supplier to the local CVS drugstore, she had a shade that matched up perfectly.

For $60 w/a case it is a great guitar, it isn’t an MIA strat (far from it) but it sounds very nice and I think it is a real looker.

As a side note, my tech phoned a while ago and my Jimi strat is ready, so I’m hoping to have photos up tomorrow.
    Last edited by crawdaddy; 10-17-2009, 06:38 PM.

So who's playing this one c.daddy ? Or are you gonna test your luthier nut change skills ? It's pretty easy ya' know ...
    Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
    I purchased this guitar earlier this week, just because it was available. It is a right handed Squier Strat in Cherry Burst. I saw the ad on CL offering the guitar and tweed HSC for $100 and figured it wouldn’t be a bad guitar to have around for when I have friends visiting.

The entire ordeal of purchasing the guitar would make a great short story. The seller lied and lied and lied about the silliest things. First he received the guitar for a Christmas present from mom a couple of years ago, next call it was a birthday present from his aunt a couple of years ago, and when we met it was a birthday present he received 2 months ago. He told us that he was selling the guitar because he had a “John Suhr” that he plays regularly. If that’s true, his guitar is worth more than his car.

The HSC had all 3 hinges on the backside broken. Someone forced the case open and figured 180 degrees wasn’t enough to get the guitar out so they tried to open it 270 degrees. Doesn’t work that way. We pulled the guitar out of the case and it had a half a dozen areas about 1/8” to 1/4” each where the paint was removed. He stood there and told us, “yeah it was perfect until yesterday when my mother dropped it”; I’m thinking she must have dropped it a few times!!!

As I’m getting ready to walk away, my friend Chris offers him $50. He politely declines and counters at $80. Chris pulls $60 out and says, here is what I’ve got:

Well when I get my new guitar home it is a wreck. He told us that he the strings replaced at a local shop but it was funny that they were all wound incorrectly at the tuners. The nuts for the tuners were all loose, not just a quick tighten and we’re good to go, but 2 or 3 turns to tighten. What a mess, I think all 6 strings were adjusted at different heights off of the fretboard. I should have asked him who his luthier was so I could avoid that person, even though I’m sure he was the luthier (and I’m using that word very loosely). I just remembered, all the p/u's were lowered so they were level with the scratch plate. Just toooo funny.

I put on new strings, adjusted everything as needed, and my buddy fixed the case up. As for the chips, thank goodness that my wife could be a nail polish supplier to the local CVS drugstore, she had a shade that matched up perfectly.

For $60 w/a case it is a great guitar, it isn’t an MIA strat (far from it) but it sounds very nice and I think it is a real looker.

As a side note, my tech phoned a while ago and my Jimi strat is ready, so I’m hoping to have photos up tomorrow.
    Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Originally posted by AllroyPA View Post
      So who's playing this one c.daddy ? Or are you gonna test your luthier nut change skills ? It's pretty easy ya' know ...
      That's funny, my son is home from school this weekend and at dinner this evening he mentioned, he was thinking about bringing a guitar up to school.

He didn't want to bring one up earlier as he didn't think there would be time to play. He has since learned that college is hours and hours of down time.

I have bought him some nice guitars over the years and I wouldn't allow him to take those, but this guitar will fit the bill perfectly. The Squier will be on the GrayHound with him heading for the mountains tomorrow.

I told him I'll keep my eyes open for a cheap little amp that I can ship up to him.

Gee, and since I'll be at Sam Ash tomorrow to pick up my Jimi, man, I love shopping for toys......

Comment

I saw a deal mentioned I'll go look it up and report back ...
        Click here

That's funny, my son is home from school this weekend and at dinner this evening he mentioned, he was thinking about bringing a guitar up to school.

He didn't want to bring one up earlier as he didn't think there would be time to play. He has since learned that college is hours and hours of down time.

I have bought him some nice guitars over the years and I wouldn't allow him to take those, but this guitar will fit the bill perfectly. The Squier will be on the GrayHound with him heading for the mountains tomorrow.

I told him I'll keep my eyes open for a cheap little amp that I can ship up to him.

Gee, and since I'll be at Sam Ash tomorrow to pick up my Jimi, man, I love shopping for toys......
        Last edited by AllroyPA; 10-17-2009, 09:25 PM.
        Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, I'll stop by GC along with Sam Ash today and out the amp.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, I'll stop by GC along with Sam Ash today and out the amp.
            They should price match it ~! Bring the link !

Comment

Working...
            X