Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• make more lefty guitars!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/e...ars/index.html

sign the petition for more left handed guitars!

thanks

____signed__
    Originally posted by metalchurch
    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

This is all very noble but it's a simple case of supply and demand. There's a reason most companies don't offer many left-handed models, and it's not because they're just too lazy to reconfigure their CNC machines; there's simply no financial incentive for them to want to make a production run (and it has to be over a certain number in the first place to be cost-effective to produce). They want to make sweet delicious $ and sell most of the instruments they're making and you can't blame them for it, it's a business after all.

Out of everyone who plays a guitar, cover band, for fun, just has one laying about or professionally e.t.c. only a very small % are left handed and play left-handed (e.g. Steve Morse and MAB are lefty but play righty). The majority of lefty players will be buying entry-level guitars with smaller and smaller numbers upgrading to more expensive models. For every woodshedder Steve Vai fan there's hundreds of players who know 3 chords and just want to cover Green Day or something on a knock-off Strat. Therefore demand for specific (particularly more expensive) models is very limited. Compared to demand for righty high end models it's even more limited. It makes sense therefore for companies to mainly offer low-end models left-handed because that's where they'll make their money and it's not going to change any time soon.

It's nice to see companies like Schecter offer MOST of their catalogue lefty but unfortunately for the most part things aren't going to change drastically unless left-handedness becomes much more common.

These days I don't really care that much because the fact is, if you want a high-end instrument and you're left OR right handed, it makes much more sense to get a decent luthier/small custom company to make you one to your specs for the same money you'd pay for a high-end signiture model from any of the big companies and you'd get something that's built to your spec and would probably play better because it's been lovingly crafted for you.

Comment

Realist not pessemist btw!

Comment

Signed. Hopefully they will listen...

Comment

Signed!! (with my left hand of course
            "NO, I don't build left handed guitars! I think left handed people are freaks and should not even play the guitar."

Words by a famous luthier when asked by me for a custom left handed instrument quote.

"Great man, you are brilliant! So your stupid ass thinks that Hendrix should have never played the guitar?!"

My reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              This is all very noble but it's a simple case of supply and demand. There's a reason most companies don't offer many left-handed models, and it's not because they're just too lazy to reconfigure their CNC machines; there's simply no financial incentive for them to want to make a production run (and it has to be over a certain number in the first place to be cost-effective to produce). They want to make sweet delicious $ and sell most of the instruments they're making and you can't blame them for it, it's a business after all.

Out of everyone who plays a guitar, cover band, for fun, just has one laying about or professionally e.t.c. only a very small % are left handed and play left-handed (e.g. Steve Morse and MAB are lefty but play righty). The majority of lefty players will be buying entry-level guitars with smaller and smaller numbers upgrading to more expensive models. For every woodshedder Steve Vai fan there's hundreds of players who know 3 chords and just want to cover Green Day or something on a knock-off Strat. Therefore demand for specific (particularly more expensive) models is very limited. Compared to demand for righty high end models it's even more limited. It makes sense therefore for companies to mainly offer low-end models left-handed because that's where they'll make their money and it's not going to change any time soon.

It's nice to see companies like Schecter offer MOST of their catalogue lefty but unfortunately for the most part things aren't going to change drastically unless left-handedness becomes much more common.

These days I don't really care that much because the fact is, if you want a high-end instrument and you're left OR right handed, it makes much more sense to get a decent luthier/small custom company to make you one to your specs for the same money you'd pay for a high-end signiture model from any of the big companies and you'd get something that's built to your spec and would probably play better because it's been lovingly crafted for you.
              well the amount of left handed people is increasing, out of all the people i know, about 30% are left handed!

i doubt much will happen, unless we do get 10000 sigs, prooving that there is a demand for them!

Comment

how about the fact that jerks at guitar center and other music stores are telling people who are left handed to play right handed simply for the fact that left handed guitars are hard to come by and more expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Walkid View Post
                  well the amount of left handed people is increasing, out of all the people i know, about 30% are left handed!

i doubt much will happen, unless we do get 10000 sigs, prooving that there is a demand for them!
                  The problem is that the left handed guitars they DO make don't sell much. Hence the marked up prices and availability issues. This is why the limited edition left handed Jem and JS models Ibanez are making are priced up so much compared to their right-handed models. It's not that they cost more to produce (although obviously it means stopping their machines, rejigging for left-hand, time is money etc), but that they know they'll struggle to sell them all, so they want maximum reimbursment. Schecter offer most of their guitars left-handed at little to no upcharge, because they've been smart and taken most of the market.

Signitures mean little for a big company that is churning out a lot of guitars. What you need is for - as they do on SS.org with the righty extended range instruments with Agile - is be in contact with a smallish company, get down the specs you want for a guitar (and this means exact specs with little to no options), and get people to put down a deposit for it and COMMIT TO BUY. Sometimes guitars that were small runs become production guitars: the Interceptor, Septor, Intrepid, Hornet and a few other models would not exist if it wasn't for initial limited runs made for SS.org people. Cool eh?

Therefore the company will go ahead with a limited run because they're guaranteed the $£$£ and know they'll make a profit from it and have gotten enough cash to start the whole thing off. The problem for most left handers is, you'd need to find about 100 people that would all agree on wanting a single instrument with pretty defined specs (maybe options for fretboard wood or something). This is the hard part as people's tastes tend to vary. For example if we were to do this on the forum right now, could 100 people agree on a single design?

Comment

well, if everyone here would want a lefty ibanez destroyer, i'll throw down

Comment

Originally posted by lostinthemasses View Post
                      well, if everyone here would want a lefty ibanez destroyer, i'll throw down
                      hiw bout a Xiphos?

Comment

nah, rather have a b.c. rich stealth

Comment

Originally posted by TheHeroCycle View Post
                          hiw bout a Xiphos?
                          with you on that!
                          GOOD DEALING WITH ARROWHEAD.

Comment

A Xiphos might be worth doing actually, it's a pretty popular request from lefties. I prefer the newer version with the deeper bevels though!

Comment

Signed!

Lord knows I'm all about more of a lefty selection from the Man. It really does come down to economics.

Thats why I've started "shopping" the small-time builders. I can get exactly what I want. I can get a hand-built by an American instrument instead of something a factory has churned out and wants to upcharge me for.

I love my Fenders, but the time and expense finding them and then to get them to my liking could've been better spent playing.

My theory is to support the mom-and-pops. A higher quality product, no penalty (where I'm looking) for the way God made me, and it hits the big companies in the their pocket books which is the only leverage I have.

Currently I have a guitar on order with a one-man operation. I'm getting exactly what I want, no upcharge for being a lefty, and quality that just isn't possible from a mass-producted product.
                              http://www.appalachianframery.com

Comment

Working...
                              X