Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In search of a 7 string...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Pauly View Post
    Hmmm, honestly the difference between a 24.75" scale and a 25.5" scale is minute. I know people that have sold 27" scale 7's because they found it just a bit too long, but I've never, ever seen anyone complain that a 25.5" scale guitar is too big a stretch for their hands. I honestly think it would be a minor adjustment for you at worst, at best you wouldn't even notice the difference. It's 3/4 of an inch spread out over the whole length of the fretboard and 24 frets. As long as the guitar is a comfortable height then I have zero problems doing stretches like 1-3-5 or 9-12-15 and I have tiny Michael Romeo hands (pity I can't play like him!).

    If you're dead set about trying one out, perhaps see if there are any members here with 7's are in the area, or the area you're travelling too. The other thing is simply to try a 25.5" scale 6 string, and find a righty 7-string just to see how the neck feels in your hands. Carvin 7 string necks are pretty comfortable, although not Ibanez-thin, which can be a good/bad thing depending on personal preference and taste.
    Ah, well see, I own a 25.5" scale 6, my Strat. And I don't like playing it because the fret spacing is just too wide and uncomfortable.

    I emailed back and forth with Patrick (Hufschmid guitars) and got some valuable info from him and it looks like I'm going to need to go the route of a custom 7 to get the 24.75 scale.

    I guess it won't hurt to find a 25.5" 7 and play on it. Or maybe pull out my Strat again and see if I can get used to it... because it will definitely save me some serious coin to go stock and not custom.
    --
    John Settino
    Web Developer, Musician
    Blog: http://www.johnsettino.com/

    Comment


    • #17
      If you're gonna play it alot and gig with it and show it off, then go custom all the way .... if it's more for experimenting and homie play then ... that's where the decision comes in
      Originally posted by nion View Post
      Ah, well see, I own a 25.5" scale 6, my Strat. And I don't like playing it because the fret spacing is just too wide and uncomfortable.

      I emailed back and forth with Patrick (Hufschmid guitars) and got some valuable info from him and it looks like I'm going to need to go the route of a custom 7 to get the 24.75 scale.

      I guess it won't hurt to find a 25.5" 7 and play on it. Or maybe pull out my Strat again and see if I can get used to it... because it will definitely save me some serious coin to go stock and not custom.
      Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

      Comment


      • #18
        Right, play the strat more and work on stretching out your fingers. I'm sure with practice it'll feel easier to play since hands are quite adaptable things and as said, it's only 3/4 of an inch overall, which really isn't much of an extra stretch. Once again, my hands are tiny and I find 25.5 fine, so I'm just being difficult and imagining this is just smething you can overcome easily.

        So, if all you do is play on 24.75 scale guitars then obviously you won't be used to the extra length and you'll find it harder or weird and feel less inclined to work at it because you have all these guitars you're used to. Remember the days when trying to hold a barre chord hurt and doing the 1-3-5 fret felt impossible? It's sort of like that in my opinion, I think if you just play the strat once a day for a bit and deliberately target things that involve stretching and move them up and down the neck you'll soon forget about the scale length.

        Patrick is an awesome guy btw. <3

        The main reason I think you should stick at it is a) going custom on your first seven is a big thing $-wise, and obviously that's the only way you'd get a 24.75 seven, and b) I still think low notes just sound plain better with a longer scale.

        Also man, you play 11's, I'd find that HARD as I used to play 9's then jumped up to 10's recently. However if I stuck with 11's for long enough my hands would adapt and I'd get used to it.
        Last edited by Pauly; 08-11-2009, 07:11 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Lefty>> http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/dr...-P806C422.aspx
          Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

          Comment


          • #20
            Never liked the fret-access on those, Hellraiser and a couple of the other ones are better:
            http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/dr...c%20Guitar.jpg
            http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/dr...c%20Guitar.jpg
            http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/dr...c%20Guitar.JPG

            26.5" scales though, I think I should be ok but for the OP I think a Carvin/Agile would be better.
            Last edited by Pauly; 08-12-2009, 11:36 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              My plan is to play the Strat to get used to the 25.5 scale, then sell it to help finance the 7 purchase.

              If anyone might be interested in a maroon MIM strat (approx 2002-2003), let me know.

              Oh, FTR, I'll probably go with the Carvin custom.
              --
              John Settino
              Web Developer, Musician
              Blog: http://www.johnsettino.com/

              Comment


              • #22
                Sweet, do a search on SS.org for Carvin's because people have ordered some AMAZING guitars in the past in terms of bursts, wood-porn and all that.

                Comment


                • #23
                  So, I've been without Internet for the past 5 days. Boy, it's sucked. I managed to post my last reply with my cellphone after typing it on my computer but never actually having enough of a connection to post it.

                  Anyway, I guess life in a gig bag has not treated the Strat too well. Turns out the bridge has rusted some and the frets are nice and discolored.

                  Probably won't be able to sell it now.
                  --
                  John Settino
                  Web Developer, Musician
                  Blog: http://www.johnsettino.com/

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Take it to a shop they might surprise you !
                    Originally posted by nion View Post
                    So, I've been without Internet for the past 5 days. Boy, it's sucked. I managed to post my last reply with my cellphone after typing it on my computer but never actually having enough of a connection to post it.

                    Anyway, I guess life in a gig bag has not treated the Strat too well. Turns out the bridge has rusted some and the frets are nice and discolored.

                    Probably won't be able to sell it now.
                    Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I really am disappointed that it's not in better condition. Kind of pissed, too, because I wanted to just pull it out, clean it, restring it and sell it. I don't want to put any money in it because I'm trying to sell it to finance the purchase of another guitar, but I guess I'm going to have to buy a bridge for it before anyone would even look at it with any interest.

                      *sigh*
                      --
                      John Settino
                      Web Developer, Musician
                      Blog: http://www.johnsettino.com/

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        You are over-reacting, there's ways to clean them. Check your resouces online.
                        Calm down bro !
                        Originally posted by nion View Post
                        I really am disappointed that it's not in better condition. Kind of pissed, too, because I wanted to just pull it out, clean it, restring it and sell it. I don't want to put any money in it because I'm trying to sell it to finance the purchase of another guitar, but I guess I'm going to have to buy a bridge for it before anyone would even look at it with any interest.

                        *sigh*
                        Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I know a guy on SS.org got a rusty as hell Floyd-Rose on the cheap and made it look MUCH better. He might have just left it in a glass of coke overnight but I'm not sure haha. I'll go find it.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Yeah here you go:
                            http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sev...ct-thread.html

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I'm back from vacation (it was awesome!) and will now be focusing on attempting to restore the Strat to decent condition.

                              The first step was taking off the bridge and letting it soak in some Diet Coke overnight.

                              I decided to document the process like the nerd that I am.... so attached are a picture before and during submersion!

                              Also, once I submerged it in the Coke, it started to "sizzle" a little bit, so I figured what better use for my new 1080p video camera than that?!

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFXUOybOwv0

                              before: http://nion.be/stratrestore/IMG_0459 copy.jpg
                              during: http://nion.be/stratrestore/IMG_0460 copy.jpg
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by nion; 08-26-2009, 12:05 AM.
                              --
                              John Settino
                              Web Developer, Musician
                              Blog: http://www.johnsettino.com/

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Ha, be interesting to see how that compares to using deruster. Pic stories are ALWAYS welcome! Hope it emerges somewhat newer looking!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X