In search of a 7 string...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In search of a 7 string...

Hi folks. This is my first post here; I found this forum last night after some googling and browsing of other forums and figured it'd be a good place to join since I am, afterall, a lefty guitarist.

To cut to the chase, I'll tell you what I'm looking for and hopefully, someone can point me in the direction of a model or manufacturer (custom is okay, which is the route I'm pretty sure I'll need to go to achieve my goal).

I've played 6 strings forever, and I want to get a 7 string (possibly even an 8, one day). I'm looking for a 7 string, no floyd rose, with a smaller scale length (24.5, or around there). I've played on 24.5" SGs for about 5 years and I love them so much and am very comfortable on them. I have a Strat I've stopped playing because the scale is longer and just too uncomfortable to play on... thus my search for a 7 string with a similar scale.

So, there you have it. If someone could point me in the right direction (again, I'm okay with dropping the money on a custom guitar if that's what has to happen) that would be awesome.

Thanks!

- John
    --
    John Settino
    Web Developer, Musician
    Blog: http://www.johnsettino.com/

Id check out Agiles Guitars, I dont know of any models that meet your exact specs but I hear there custom shop is fast and inexpensive. I own a agile Reaper and can vouch for their quality.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html
    I just ordered a 7 string Agile Hornet Pro 725.. its a 25.5 scale. should be here in a few days.

I know schecter has a few 7 strings, Ibanez too if I remember correctly.

good luck.

Comment

I was looking at their Intrepid 8, but the scale on it just looks way too monster for me.

I saw the Hornet, but I'm not a fan of that body style (nor the Floyd Rose) so it wouldn't be for me, either.

I can't find a link to their custom shop anywhere on their website; so I'm going to email them.

The scales on the Schecter's I've seen are all too large, as well
      --
      John Settino
      Web Developer, Musician

Comment

yeah I'm not sure how they run the custom shop exactly but Kurt (the owner) is a cool guy and easy to deal with, I'm sure they can make the guitar for you, take a look at these customs.

http://www.agileguitarforum.com/view....php?tid=19760

Comment

Some of those look pretty nice. I sent him an email earlier this evening after reading your initial reply, so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

Thanks for the info!
          --
          John Settino
          Web Developer, Musician

Comment

Originally posted by nion View Post
            I have a Strat I've stopped playing because the scale is longer and just too uncomfortable to play on...
            So what ya gonna do with the strat ?
            Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Your initial problem is going to be this: nobody makes shorter than 25.5" scale 7 string guitars. The simple reason for this is that unless you'd be playing with cable-thick strings, your low B string would sound like ass. Thus 25.5" is the 'normal' scale for most 7 strings, with the exceptions being Schecters (26.5") and baritone 7's which are usually 27" (Ibanez RG 'XL' models, some models of the ESP Stef Carpenter guitar e.t.c). It only gets worse when you get to 8 strings. A lot of people think you need 28" at least to get a good sounding low F#, hence why many people take the multi-scale route and have a shorter scale on the treble side so the normal 6 string range sounds like a normal 6 string guitar, and the bass side has a longer scale which gives the lower notes the clarity they need to not sound like a muddy mess. A lot of people on SS.org don't like the Ibanez, ESP and Schecter 8-string offerings because they don't have scales greater than 27", so getting the best out of the lowest notes is difficult.

As far as left handed guitars go, Schecter make a few models of their 7-string guitars left handed. The C7, C7 Hellraiser, C7 Blackjack e.t.c. Hellraiser would be my pick of those. 26.5" scale.

I don't think Agile have any Interceptor or Septor guitars left-handed at the moment, other models perhaps but you could still make an order for one with a specific finish or whatever. They are 27" and 25.5" respectively.

Carvin 727/747 as well. I believe they are 25.5".

If you can find an Ibanez RG7420 then good luck to you, it's the only production lefty 7 Ibanez ever made, only ran for a year or two, so they're pretty tough to get hold of. 25.5".

Other than that it's going to have to be a custom-shop job, which could potentially be exciting as you could go for a multiscale 7; 24.75"-26.5" perhaps, it'd only be a subtle fan and would mean for the most part it would feel like playing a regular guitar. Hope this helps.
              Last edited by Pauly; 08-10-2009, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AllroyPA View Post
                So what ya gonna do with the strat ?
                It's been sitting for several years, actually.

My Mom bought it for me for a Christmas gift many years ago and after I got my SG(s) in 2004 and 2005, I stopped playing it (like I said, because of the scale). I also play pretty much exclusively metal and the SGs just sound better for it (HB/HB vs SSS pus is my guess).

I'm pretty sure it's a Mexican, because I know she didn't pay a hell of a lot for it (under $400, I think). It's got a maroon body and I haven't SEEN it for a few years... it sits at my Dad's house, haha.

I'll sell it one day if she doesn't yell at me for doing it.
                --
                John Settino
                Web Developer, Musician

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                  Your initial problem is going to be this: nobody makes shorter than 25.5" scale 7 string guitars. The simple reason for this is that unless you'd be playing with cable-thick strings, your low B string would sound like ass. Thus 25.5" is the 'normal' scale for most 7 strings, with the exceptions being Schecters (26.5") and baritone 7's which are usually 27" (Ibanez RG 'XL' models, some models of the ESP Stef Carpenter guitar e.t.c). It only gets worse when you get to 8 strings. A lot of people think you need 28" at least to get a good sounding low F#, hence why many people take the multi-scale route and have a shorter scale on the treble side so the normal 6 string range sounds like a normal 6 string guitar, and the bass side has a longer scale which gives the lower notes the clarity they need to not sound like a muddy mess. A lot of people on SS.org don't like the Ibanez, ESP and Schecter 8-string offerings because they don't have scales greater than 27", so getting the best out of the lowest notes is difficult.

As far as left handed guitars go, Schecter make a few models of their 7-string guitars left handed. The C7, C7 Hellraiser, C7 Blackjack e.t.c. Hellraiser would be my pick of those. 26.5" scale.

I don't think Agile have any Interceptor or Septor guitars left-handed at the moment, other models perhaps but you could still make an order for one with a specific finish or whatever. They are 27" and 25.5" respectively.

Carvin 727/747 as well. I believe they are 25.5".

If you can find an Ibanez RG7420 then good luck to you, it's the only production lefty 7 Ibanez ever made, only ran for a year or two, so they're pretty tough to get hold of. 25.5".

Other than that it's going to have to be a custom-shop job, which could potentially be exciting as you could go for a multiscale 7; 24.75"-26.5" perhaps, it'd only be a subtle fan and would mean for the most part it would feel like playing a regular guitar. Hope this helps.
                  Actually, this helps a ton. So thank you for putting all this info out there.

I play a 6 string 24.5" right now and have tuned it to drop A (AEADF#B) and I played in drop B (BF#BEG#C#) for several years, with D'addario .11 gauge strings.

I wouldn't care so much about the neck being longer if it didn't automatically mean jumbo frets. I just can't play on jumbo frets, lol.

Since Agile isn't taking custom orders until next year (I got an email back from Kurt, poop) do any of you guys have recommendations of other custom shops that are good to deal with? Perhaps something that doesn't have the turnaround time of an extra year (or is that standard?).

I'd like to get my hands on a 25.5" scale 7 to play before I order one, but it's going to be slim pickins', at least around here.

I'll be flying to California next week so I may have to drag my friend on a trek around the SF/Oakland area to find a dealer that has a lefty 7 in 25.5".
                  --
                  John Settino
                  Web Developer, Musician

Comment

It's doubtful you'll find the RG7420 in any shops, they're usually ebay or other auction site finds, and rare ones at that.

I forgot the ErnieBall/Musciman John Petrucci model in 7 string, which is available lefty. It's a very pricey guitar though but has the 25.5" scale as well as being a top-notch instrument (optional piezo system too!). As far as custom shops with decent turn arounds... on SS.org these guys get stuff out pretty fast for a custom shop (which is still months).

http://www.hufschmidguitars.com/
                    http://www.roterguitars.com/index.html

They can both do pretty much anything you want shape wise. I believe Roter are currently looking at semi-custom runs (i.e. simple guitar with a few options) and have some prototypes done, based on a PRS type shape. The Carvins are also worth mentioning again because you can customise several things such as the frets you want, fretboard material, finish and so on. They're very nice guitars too, and at much less $ than the EB/MM.

Comment

The Carvin's turnaround time is good too. I forgot (again!) to add you can choose body-wood type and now you can even choose whether you want the rounded edges on the body.

Comment

I hav'nt seen any righty models using 420 ... RG7420 .. my acoustic is a FG420 ..
                        What's up with that !
                        Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          The Carvin's turnaround time is good too. I forgot (again!) to add you can choose body-wood type and now you can even choose whether you want the rounded edges on the body.
                          4-7 weeks. Priced one out, and it's gonna be $900.

For me to drop that kind of money, I'm gonna need to play a 25.5" lefty 7 before I spend it. No idea where I'm gonna find one.
                          --
                          John Settino
                          Web Developer, Musician

Comment

Originally posted by AllroyPA View Post
                            I hav'nt seen any righty models using 420 ... RG7420 .. my acoustic is a FG420 ..
                            What's up with that !
                            They did a regular RG7420 and 7421 (hardtail). They were essentially slightly lower spec versions of the superior RG7620 and 7621, the 7420 had the LoTRS7 and the 7620 had the LoPro Edge bridge. Can't remember how many years the 420's were about for but 7620's are rife on ebay because Ibanez made a lot of them and they're still v. popular. They were eventually replaced on the production line by the RG1527.

Comment

Originally posted by nion View Post
                              4-7 weeks. Priced one out, and it's gonna be $900.

For me to drop that kind of money, I'm gonna need to play a 25.5" lefty 7 before I spend it. No idea where I'm gonna find one.
                              Hmmm, honestly the difference between a 24.75" scale and a 25.5" scale is minute. I know people that have sold 27" scale 7's because they found it just a bit too long, but I've never, ever seen anyone complain that a 25.5" scale guitar is too big a stretch for their hands. I honestly think it would be a minor adjustment for you at worst, at best you wouldn't even notice the difference. It's 3/4 of an inch spread out over the whole length of the fretboard and 24 frets. As long as the guitar is a comfortable height then I have zero problems doing stretches like 1-3-5 or 9-12-15 and I have tiny Michael Romeo hands (pity I can't play like him!).

If you're dead set about trying one out, perhaps see if there are any members here with 7's are in the area, or the area you're travelling too. The other thing is simply to try a 25.5" scale 6 string, and find a righty 7-string just to see how the neck feels in your hands. Carvin 7 string necks are pretty comfortable, although not Ibanez-thin, which can be a good/bad thing depending on personal preference and taste.
                              Last edited by Pauly; 08-11-2009, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X