Lefty Acoustics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lefty Acoustics

I'm looking for a lefty acoustic in the $1500-2500 range and I've been looking at some Taylors and Martins but I've heard to get into the real Martins you have to spend 3000+ as for Taylors I've heard just about everything. If anyone has had any experience with either brand of guitar (or another you like) in this price range any input would be appreciated as it's hard to go play any lefties locally I think my local guitar center has 3 lefty acoustics total.

Thanks
    Schecter Blackjack ATX fr
    Epiphone LP100
    Spider Valve 112 Amp
    Custom Tele w/ EMG's in progress

Dude you're in Buffalo, make the drive down to PA and get a Martin. I believe there is a authorized dealer there in Bethlehem/Nazareth area. Just contact Martin for more info. they will not steer you wrong!
    Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Do they sell Santa Cruz anywhere near you? I heard my dealer play this;

OMG The best sounding guitar I ever heard, seriously. Even the highpriced Martins he sells can't compare. The price is ridiculous though (€3600 - that's what? $5000?), also he told me they need a 20% upcharge for a lefty... WTF? Maybe they come cheaper where you're at... Check that out!
      va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
      Originally posted by chilton
      Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
      www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

That looks damn nice !
        Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

http://allentown.craigslist.org/msg/1192933770.html

Comment

Martin and Taylor both make quality instruments and like everything else in the world of guitar playing, it's a matter of your personal perferences in a guitar and what your budget allows.

Martins are very traditional guitars and can vary from one to the next in the same model a great deal. Two D-18 dreadnaughts can feel much different from one another though their tones will be very much the same. It's the amount of handwork at construction that accounts for most these differences. No two spruce tops are exactly the same so some of the differences can be attributed to the cuts of wood. Martins are best purchased "in person" for these reasons (among others!). In general, Martins need a good setup for most players. They are shipped from the factory with relatively high actions to allow for such adjustments.

Taylor produces what I call "cookie cutter guitars" - they are of high quality but because of the automation involved in their manufacture they are quite consistant within a model. Two GS models will sound and feel almost identical to each other. Therefore I would say Taylor is the better instrument to buy sight unseen. Taylor's usually come from the factory setup quite nicely and, due to their thin neck profiles, feel very much like an electric guitar to my hands.

You should go play a variety of guitars by any and all makers and decide what combination of tone woods you like: mahogany, maple or rosewood, spruce or cedar tops. Then narrow it down to a few models in Taylor and Martin's lineups. Good luck!
            Knowin' where you're goin' in mostly knowin' where you have been Me, from Me & Eddie

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys I'll definitely take a closer look at that dealer in PA thats only a few hours away and I'd love to be able to play the guitar right there. This is a pretty big investment so I'd really like to be able to do that
              Schecter Blackjack ATX fr
              Epiphone LP100
              Spider Valve 112 Amp
              Custom Tele w/ EMG's in progress

Comment

Here's one on Boston's C/L
                http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/1216648624.html

Comment

One word:

LARRIVEE.

I freaking love my Larrivee OM-03RE. I've played 2,000-3,000 dollar Taylors, Martins, Breedloves... and seriously... my Larrivee is the best-sounding guitar and best PLAYING guitar I've EVER laid my hands on.

They make nothing but top-of-the-line guitars at Larrivee... and you'll be hard-pressed to find a better value.

Taylor and Martin piss me off though... they mass produce their guitars so much that yes, while most of the time you'll get AMAZING guitars with amazing quality wood in each respective series... there's always a chance that one guitar could be a dud. Plus, I've never been as impressed with their craftsmanship as I have with Larrivee or Collings or some other high-end guitars.

You can find a used lefty Larrivee OM (orchestra model, smaller), L (standard size), or D (Dreadnought size) series guitar for around $600-$1,000... for the lower end series (02-03's)... and for their EXTREMELY high-quality guitars, you can easily find one for around $1,500-$2,500 brand new. The only problem is they're such a small company, it'll be hard to find a store that carries them so you can go in and play. I got lucky with mine (bought it on Ebay)... never played it, but man... this guitar plays and sounds like a dream. I always get complimented on my tone, even plugged in.

Check out Larrivee.com to read up on all the specs... nothing but AWESOME.
                  Click these words...now

member of the SOUTHPAW SHREDDERS club
                  - the few, the proud, the correct -

'07 Larrivee OM-03RE
                  '07 Fender MIA Strat-my Marlena
                  '09 Benford Tele (Custom)

Ernie Ball PV. Dunlop 535Q. Barber LTD. MXR 6 Band EQ. Carbon Copy v2. Ibanez DE7. Korg DT10.
                  VoodooLab PP2+

Peavey Classic 50 410

SPAM: '07 Fender American Strat (lefty)

Comment

you know you have a popular forum when it gets spambots
                    Originally posted by metalchurch
                    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
                    Originally posted by metalchurch
                    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by lostinthemasses View Post
                      you know you have a popular forum when it gets spambots
                      Sad but true.
                      va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
                      Originally posted by chilton
                      Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
                      www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Working...
                      X