Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can you tell me about this brand; Dillion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can you tell me about this brand; Dillion?

So who here knows about Dillion guitars? Saw a rather nice looking '57 LP Goldtop copy with soapbars on Ebay. Never seen the name Dillion before. Who here has? Should I stay away or (gently) pounce?
    Any input much appreciated.
    va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
    Originally posted by chilton
    Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
    www.dutchcassidy.com

Good question. They make a very nice lefty Firebird copy, but it is pretty pricey.

Comment

still curious

I checked out the website and they build some of their models lefty ($100 upcharge, still... they build 'em), but I never held one and know of noone that owns or owned one. I probably won't be buying the GoldTop anyway so I'll post the ad in the "keeping an eye out" section.
      What I'm still very interested in is what you guys think of and know about Dillion guitars.
      Input?
      www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

i wouldnt touch any off-brands like that, but a few people have agiles and sx, etc. and enjoy playing them
        Originally posted by metalchurch
        I had my ball sack appraised one time.
        Originally posted by metalchurch
        ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

Lol, "2 Dillion Guitar Co's!"

Comment

To take away from the 'confusion'; I am referring to the MIK guitars. They build a couple of their models as LH (upcharge $100). I posted my question on tokaiforum too, some of the guys overthere own Dillions and were kind enough to give me a little info.
            On my 'home'forum in NL I spoke to a guy that left his (RH)Dillion Mosrite-copy on the train (either or ) somehow retreived it and uses it as his main axe in a reasonably successfull band. I'll see if I can convince him to let me 'have a feel'.
            www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Canadian Base Company, Most
              made in Korea, for the most Part there not Bad. Just like any other Korean pups and hardware will need upgrading

Comment

Originally posted by vking View Post
                Canadian Base Company, Most
                made in Korea, for the most Part there not Bad. Just like any other Korean pups and hardware will need upgrading
                OK, we're adding to the confusion now? As I understood it, the US based Co has their gits built in Korea, while the Canadian Dillions are made in Canada...
                Which ever may be the case, the Mosrite model I'm looking at is a Korean built and like you, other players advised to upgrade hardware and electronics for just about any MIK. The 'mosrite' has a solid mahogany body and an ebony fretboard on (as far as I can tell) a maple neck (bolt-on). If built properly nothing to look down on I think and maybe even worth an extensive upgrade?

Tack så hemskt mycket för ditt svar vking, or am I placing you completely wrong?
                www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

not that they are too popular, but I have 2 Dillions, a Tbird bass and a EBMM 5 string stingray copy. Both excellent basses, both VERY well put together, both from John Dillion's USA MIK company, and I would say anything from there is a good deal, as well as being good units to play.
                  Resident Charvel/Jackson Freak

http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Old thread, but I thought I'd dig it up, since I owned the Dillion gold top, and others might be looking at it.

I was always on the fence about it. the p90's sounded killer IMO, I just posted some videos of it in the video forum

However, it's MUCH smaller than a Les paul, it actually felt nothing like a les paul. It's thin, and very light. The actual finish is more of a lime green than a true gold top. Mine had some pretty shoddy fretwork, even for a $500 guitar, and the hardware was crap even though it's Wilkensen.

I wouldnt buy another Dillion, but I did use mine alot at shows because despite all that, it sounded killer.

Comment

I was looking at a Dillion Brian May. Not sure which Dillion I was looking at, but then I found a guy who does guitar templates and has a Red Special template, so I can build my own.

Someday I want to replicate Dr. May's Tremolo setup, and I figured why not do it in a Red Special copy?

I actually am still entertaining one of these Dillions, but honestly if I would buy a RS, I would probably end up going with a Burns (if I can find a lefty) or a Brian May Guitars lefty. I don't have the budget right now for a new guitar, but I have a ton of wood here to build....

Comment

Rs ??????????????
                        Originally posted by theklanch View Post
                        i was looking at a dillion brian may. Not sure which dillion i was looking at, but then i found a guy who does guitar templates and has a red special template, so i can build my own.

Someday i want to replicate dr. May's tremolo setup, and i figured why not do it in a red special copy?

I actually am still entertaining one of these dillions, but honestly if i would buy a rs, i would probably end up going with a burns (if i can find a lefty) or a brian may guitars lefty. I don't have the budget right now for a new guitar, but i have a ton of wood here to build....
                        Last edited by AllroyPA; 05-11-2010, 08:11 PM.
                        Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

a lot of youtube videos with people praising their Dillions..

here's my 3 I liked them so much

here's my friend's B.May
                          Resident Charvel/Jackson Freak

http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Originally posted by AllroyPA View Post
                            Rs ??????????????
                            Red Special

Comment

Originally posted by AllroyPA View Post
                              Rs ??????????????
                              Originally posted by theklanch View Post
                              Red Special
                              www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X