Truss Rod Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss Rod Problem

I have a custom fender telecaster and I can't seem to get the the neck straight string sizes from 9-42 to 10-50 and I want the guitar in standard and I don't like the strings very tight. The problem is with a set of 9-42's the neck has an underbow no matter how I adjust the truss rod, could it be that there just isn't enough tension to correct the underbow or am I just doing something wrong?
    Schecter Blackjack ATX fr
    Epiphone LP100
    Spider Valve 112 Amp
    Custom Tele w/ EMG's in progress

Is it a US or MIM Fender Tele ?
    The US Fender Teles have a biflex truss rod which allows for positive adjustment in both directions. The MIM Teles don't have that feature.

Comment

The neck is from warmoth.com it is their vintage modern style and it is birdseye maple with a roswewood fretboard
      Schecter Blackjack ATX fr
      Epiphone LP100
      Spider Valve 112 Amp
      Custom Tele w/ EMG's in progress

Comment

how bad is the neck?can you post some pics of it?

Comment

Originally posted by rabidguineapig View Post
          I have a custom fender telecaster and I can't seem to get the the neck straight string sizes from 9-42 to 10-50 and I want the guitar in standard and I don't like the strings very tight. The problem is with a set of 9-42's the neck has an underbow no matter how I adjust the truss rod, could it be that there just isn't enough tension to correct the underbow or am I just doing something wrong?
          Underbow is not a regular term, do you mean the neck bows backwards (looking from the front of the tele), so you get fret-buzzing ?
          Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

If the truss rod is completely loose, and you still have backbow, you need to use heavier strings. Is there backbow with 10-50s?

Comment

I have one Jackson that I can't adjust the truss rod on, the bolt is completely loose. I have to use 10's and adjust the springs on the floyd to have enough tension.

joe...

Comment

If it's a maple neck you may have to get this to a professional. Rosewood you may be able to put it in a high humidity environment and bend the neck. Then reset the truss. But a maple neck is usually sealed with laquer.
                Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

I'm with Allroy - you may need to take it to a professional.

Though, just a thought - have you tried shimming the neck? How are you measuring the relief?

Comment

When you're buying a guitar fret the string at the third fret and you should have some kind of clearance at the first fret before the nut btwn the string and the fret (or the nut is cut wrong). Secondly fret the strings at the first fret and the last fret then reach with your left hand to see if there is some clearance say about the 12th-9th fret wherever you can reach with your pinky and thumb while fretting the last fret with your left hand, this will assure you you dont have a back bow. Just food for thought and a quick check for playability before you purchase something, new or used. Lastlly, remember truss adjustments do nothing for problems above say the 10th fret, the neck just does not bow from the truss there.
                    Last edited by AllroyPA; 12-17-2009, 08:14 PM.

Comment

That's useful Allroy. I'll try and remember that tip next time I'm shopping for a new or used guitar. Thanks for that.
                      va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
                      Originally posted by chilton
                      Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
                      www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Originally posted by AllroyPA View Post
                        When you're buying a guitar fret the string at the third fret and you should have some kind of clearance at the first fret before the nut btwn the string and the fret (or the nut is cut wrong). Secondly fret the strings at the first fret and the last fret then reach with your left hand to see if there is some clearance say about the 12th-9th fret wherever you can reach with your pinky and thumb while fretting the last fret with your left hand, this will assure you you dont have a back bow. Just food for thought and a quick check for playability before you purchase something, new or used. Lastlly, remember truss adjustments do nothing for problems above say the 10th fret, the neck just does not bow from the truss there.
                        Originally posted by Olav View Post
                        That's useful Allroy. I'll try and remember that tip next time I'm shopping for a new or used guitar. Thanks for that.
                        Yep, good stuff to check.

Comment

Working...
                        X