Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson's 10 best lefty guitarists

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gibson's 10 best lefty guitarists

    Just wanted to share this with everyone and maybe get some thoughts...

    http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...ded-guitarist/

  • #2
    hum??? For some reason, my name was lefty off the list. Of course, if it doesn't go to 11 it ain't worth S%$T.

    joe...

    Comment


    • #3
      Because I'm a old Sabbath fan, the first person that popped into my head was Iommi. He's the coolest!


      Lol, WTF? Kurt Cobain?

      Comment


      • #4
        Then there's people like Steve Morse and MAB who are lefty but play righty, heresy!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          I like Paul McCartney, but he made his name as a bassist. I'm sure he's a great guitar player, but save the slot for somebody who's known as a lefty guitarist. There has to be another one.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by twokings View Post
            I like Paul McCartney, but he made his name as a bassist. I'm sure he's a great guitar player, but save the slot for somebody who's known as a lefty guitarist. There has to be another one.
            How about this guy:

            http://www.theodoreziras.com/Videos/...rovisation.wmv

            Comment


            • #7
              Oh Theodore Theodore. I remember when I used to post on the John Petrucci forums and one of the guys there (this dude called Bakerman who was a professional transcriber and had godly ears) ended up ousting Ziras for dubbing his videos with pre-recorded tracks and passing them off as live. He'd hit notes in the vid and you'd hear different ones on the audio, some of the playing wasn't in sync e.t.c. Not saying he was a bad guitarist, but he wasn't being completely honest with his vids. A pity since his Sweep Madness video used to give me a semi.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                Oh Theodore Theodore. I remember when I used to post on the John Petrucci forums and one of the guys there (this dude called Bakerman who was a professional transcriber and had godly ears) ended up ousting Ziras for dubbing his videos with pre-recorded tracks and passing them off as live. He'd hit notes in the vid and you'd hear different ones on the audio, some of the playing wasn't in sync e.t.c. Not saying he was a bad guitarist, but he wasn't being completely honest with his vids. A pity since his Sweep Madness video used to give me a semi.
                I didn't know that.

                I'm not a big fan of shred but I saw him in a YouTube video or two and remembered him since he's a lefty.

                How disillusioning.

                Comment


                • #9
                  He has got some live vids, and it's not like he can't play, it's just kinda weird doing your video and audio separately and not mentioning it, especially when you can do it live ok:

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft8Ym_RdgQQ
                  Last edited by Pauly; 03-11-2009, 05:53 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by twokings View Post
                    I like Paul McCartney, but he made his name as a bassist. I'm sure he's a great guitar player, but save the slot for somebody who's known as a lefty guitarist. There has to be another one.
                    True.

                    It's nice that they haven't just stuck up a list of Gibson players.... okay, Jimi did play a few, but he's best known for the Strat (as per their photos), I don't think Dick Dale has ever been seen with a Gibson (and he's a Fender / DiPinto endorsee), and Kurt Cobain was better known for playing Univoxes and Fenders than Gibbys....

                    Wonder whether they just couldn't find ten well known guitarists that played Gibbys 'cause their lefty provision is so poor??

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by twokings View Post
                      I like Paul McCartney, but he made his name as a bassist. I'm sure he's a great guitar player, but save the slot for somebody who's known as a lefty guitarist. There has to be another one.
                      He's been known as a lefty guitarist ever since 1966, when he played lead guitar on 'Taxman'. Also it is believed he played second lead guitar on 'And Your Bird Can Sing'. Definitely deserves to be in there, certainly ahead of Cobain, who wouldn't measure up to most local lefty guitarists in big cities around the world...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i love how they put 3 prominent fender players on this list

                        and 2 of those prominent fender players are both pictured playing fenders

                        kurt cobain played one of those old 60's epiphone strat style guitars strug lefty, but i've never seen him play a gibson

                        also, anyone who's skeptical about his technical abilities should check out some of the stuff from the box set, he wrote simple riffs, but writing and playing are 2 different worlds
                        Originally posted by metalchurch
                        I had my ball sack appraised one time.
                        Originally posted by metalchurch
                        ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by John Vasco View Post
                          He's been known as a lefty guitarist ever since 1966, when he played lead guitar on 'Taxman'. Also it is believed he played second lead guitar on 'And Your Bird Can Sing'. Definitely deserves to be in there, certainly ahead of Cobain, who wouldn't measure up to most local lefty guitarists in big cities around the world...

                          I think he's been known as a lefty guitarist since about '56 or '57. He was a better guitarist than John back then. He didn't start playing bass until they kicked Stu out of the band.

                          Paul is very talented all around musician. Remember when John was asked if Ringo was a good drummer? John's reply was "He's not even the best drummer in our band".

                          As for his connection to Gibson, he used to play the Casino.

                          I agree with you 100% regarding Cobain, even though I wish I were half as good as him.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            casinos are total sex
                            Originally posted by metalchurch
                            I had my ball sack appraised one time.
                            Originally posted by metalchurch
                            ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by lostinthemasses View Post
                              casinos are total sex
                              I've been following a lefty Casino on ebay. Last I looked though, it was over $900.

                              WOW, but for that kinda money, I'd be looking at one of the Japanese guitar makers like Edwards or Tokia. I know they cost a bit more, but not that much.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X