Lefty's who play righty guitars/basses flipped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lefty's who play righty guitars/basses flipped

title says it all....anyone out here besides me?

I play both ways, but usually play inverted.

when I say both ways I mean lefty inverted (righty axe flipped - G string on top ), and lefty normal ( E string on top ).

hopefully there is another person on this board who does this so I don't feel "so alone"

I have 11 axes, and only ONE is a real lefty body, the others are all righthanded that I flip over.

am I a lefty? -- yep
    am I a freak for playing inverted? -- yep - and love every minute of it.....
    Resident Charvel/Jackson Freak

http://youtube.com/amimbari

I learned that way, and I'm not too bad inverted. Chording is a pain in the ass, though, you have to be creative.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
      I learned that way, and I'm not too bad inverted. Chording is a pain in the ass, though, you have to be creative.
      for guitar stuff, yes, for bass stuff, no as I am primarily a bassplayer for all these years.

when I realized there was more of a demand for bassplayers in my hey-day of tax-free band money, I put the guitar down, and it was bassplaying from that point on.

I always used Man Kidal as my inverted hero to inspire me when everyone including us were into Malmsteen junk, and he was a 100% Malmsteen clone who just so happened to play inverted.

I always like to go to G.C., and ask to play a lefty, they hand me some 199.00 junk, and I rip on it for a couple, then ask to see the 1500.00 Fender righty, and plug in, flip it over watch their priceless look on their face, and rip on that also.

in the band I am in I play a bunch of songs both ways, just to show off a little. My youtube channel does have me on my guitars towards the beginning of the list, the rest are all bass videos mostly inverted, and a few lefty normal.

Comment

One thing I always liked was that playing upside down really changes the way you see the instrument. As a result, you can come up with a lot of riffs and melodies that you'd never think of if it was strung regular.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
          One thing I always liked was that playing upside down really changes the way you see the instrument. As a result, you can come up with a lot of riffs and melodies that you'd never think of if it was strung regular.
          I suppose that's true also, I never really see it that way.

I just consider this:

notes are notes, chords are chords, and everything has a pattern. Unless you are reading sheet music for the stuff you would have to do memorization is the key.

and oh ya as for seeing the instrument --lol I cant see the marker dots on the neck, so ya playing inverted does change the way I see the instrument.

Comment

yes chording is a pain if you dont flip the strings.my first guitar was a righty and i flipped it to lefty and people thought i was crazy!
            HUCK
            Marshall AVT Valvestate 200(275watt)

Comment

When I first started playing at 14 in '84, I played a righty bass inverted. I got used to playing it that way for a while, then my righty friend loved my bass and wanted to play. He picked up playing quickly and then we decided to start a band which then I switched to guitar and found a lefty Cort POS (Piece of S#$t) at the local music shop which had the usual 1 crap lefty guitar and stuck to normal lefty playing ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by saltysidedown View Post
                When I first started playing at 14 in '84, I played a righty bass inverted. I got used to playing it that way for a while, then my righty friend loved my bass and wanted to play. He picked up playing quickly and then we decided to start a band which then I switched to guitar and found a lefty Cort POS (Piece of S#$t) at the local music shop which had the usual 1 crap lefty guitar and stuck to normal lefty playing ever since.
                that was always the case in the stores...one or 2 lefty guitars and 35 righty ones. I never worried about "how" it looked flipped over, I was only concerned about the feel of the neck

now, after all these years I finally found a lefty bass that I wanted that matched my righty Charvels, and I'm playing the heck out of it now in normal mode since my friends and bandmates think it is a cool novelty, like I said in a previous post, I just do it to show off, but as long as they want me to play both ways on stage, I'll do it, just like showing off on youtube playing both ways.

not too many people would have BOTH left and right basses because it would be kinda dumb UNLESS you could play it AND it does make for an interesting topic of conversation when someone says WTF......

heres a pic of my ying-yang sisters...

Comment

Hej, here's one more that plays flipmode. Not on guitar or bass though, I play the uke flipped over. I figured I was gonna need to learn new chords anyway, so why not do it Dick Dale style?
                  Here's Dick playing flip-inverted upside-up?
                  va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
                  Originally posted by chilton
                  Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
                  www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Dang straight...learned that way and still freak righty's out when i can grab their axe and play...lol....

Comment

Working...
                    X