Epi Les Paul vs Parker Pm20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epi Les Paul vs Parker Pm20

Thoughts? Lookin at getting a cheap lefty next week, having trouble deciding what to get, Price range is $300-400 roughly

I'm thinkin a LP style right now, unless some good deal is on ebay, and these 2 guitars seem to be the best bet

The epi would be a black std, I've had an epi before I really liked, but I know they can be hit and miss as far as quality, It definately has looks over the Parker though

The Parker, according to what I've read anyways, seems to be a fairly decent buy, most of the reviews are good..I've just never played or even seen a Parker, it's also cheaper

Thoughts? Suggestions?

My .02...

Quality control on any brand in that price range is hit or miss. So I wouldn't put a lot of the decision based on that factor. Hell, price doesn't equal quality on many levels as many have seen with mega-money guitars.

I would find the measurements of an instrument that fits you well, and then look for similar #'s if you're buying unseen.

The feeling of it in your hands will override all else in my opinion. Setup, and the ability of the guitar to be properly setup should be a very important factor.

Or, you can go the route of which looks the coolest which is the Parker in my eyes. Your instrument will stand-out in a sea full of LP's.
    http://www.appalachianframery.com

Comment

Yeah, I'm starting to think the Parker, its $100 cheaper, and I will get a good les paul eventually, plus the parker is 25.5 scale, that should be different on a LP style guitar. Never owned an ebony fretboard either!

Looked at the Agiles too, but I can't get over the stubby lower horn

Comment

I hate to bring this up, but you might want to look at Hagstrom guitars. I don't know how they compare to Parker's, but they are a step above the EPI's.

Here is my Swede Goldtop:

I'm actually contemplating putting this one up for sale. I have an Ultra Swede that I love and don't think I need them both.

If you are interested, I would sell the GoldTop for $425 w/a Hagstrom HSC that isn't perfect, but does the job. The guitar is in perfect condition. It is a 24.75" scale though.

EDIT: Just for grins, here is a pic of her backside:

Last edited by crawdaddy; 06-24-2010, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Thats a nice looking axe, alittle too classic looking for me(if that makes any sense)

I totally flipfloped I think, found a barely used black EPI with a HSC at a good price.

Payday isnt till wednesday though, I'll be suprised if I don't change my mind lol

Comment

parker all the way

especially with the blowout prices theyre going for on ebay
            Originally posted by metalchurch
            I had my ball sack appraised one time.
            ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

Well that's the first Parker endorse I've seen. Take crawdaddy's advice and take a 2nd look at those Haggies...
              Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Originally posted by ShredMojo View Post
                Thats a nice looking axe, alittle too classic looking for me(if that makes any sense)

I totally flipfloped I think, found a barely used black EPI with a HSC at a good price.

Payday isnt till wednesday though, I'll be suprised if I don't change my mind lol

If you can find a good used EPI, go for it. There is nothing wrong w/EPI's at all, I own a few myself. Plus if you find one locally, you have the advantage of testing it out and there are no shipping costs to incur.

I was just putting the Haggie out there and it has the filter toggle switch to dial in a bit more toneage, the P/U's are Alnico V's, the fretboard is smooth as silk, and it's an all around nice guitar.

Good Luck, the quest in finding the one that speaks to you is half the fun.

Comment

alot of people on this forum seem to like epiphones, but personally i think any of their les pauls and sg's made anywhere but japan or the united states are garbage, i've never once played one that was something i'd own. none of the chinese epiphones are any good, and as far as the korean ones go, the sorrento, joe pass, and sheraton are very nice.

still think you should go with the parker, someone on this forum reviewed the p42 and the pm20 is pretty much the same thing with a different body shape
                  I had my ball sack appraised one time.
                  ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

I had a chinese Epi that was awesome, swapped the pickups for some High Order customs, and the electronics for gibson, but it played killer after a good setup. Was only suppose to be a backup guitar, but was my main axe for 4 years. I just hated the color(cherry burst argh). I guess i do need to take in consideration that guitar had $250-300 extra in it. the stock EPI electronics are godawful.

I've read good things about Parker pickups, the Parker P42 is starting to catch my eye too.

I started thinking, no matter what I get now, later I will get a good Les Paul(Edwards or Tokai..maybe a Gib Studio)..And A good floyd rose style guitar.

SO this would be the time to get something different. I wish it was easier to find used intermediate lefties. Its all Schecters, Fenders, and Epis

Comment

Originally posted by ShredMojo View Post
                      SO this would be the time to get something different. I wish it was easier to find used intermediate lefties. Its all Schecters, Fenders, and Epis

and don't forget Haggies????

Comment

I own both a P42 and a PM20Pro. The parkers have very small necks, but they play and sound well after a set up. Especially the PM20, which gives you real Sperzels and Real Duncan pickups. The wood is rally nice on the PM20 also.

Comment

the PM20pro is nice, but $700+

that P42 sure looks sharp though, nice pic of both! The guy thats been selling em for $315 on ebay still has listed a new one though hmmm.

Comment

Found an interesting deal

Thoughts on the Dean Evo special select....the tigers eye quilt top...seen those for sale for years, but never gave thought on owning one.

Gotta admit, they look pretty sharp though

Comment

My Ibanez SZ520 was a really cool but heavy piece of wood, mohogany and quilted maple.
                              Last edited by AllroyPA; 06-27-2010, 06:10 PM.
                              Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Working...
                              X