Fender Stratocaster Lefties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Stratocaster Lefties

I've seen some year ago or whenever i saw it, a price drop of the Fender Stratocaster lefty guitars.
    I have always wanted to have a Stratocaster, since i think it would fit my style of playing.
    However i would like your input on it.

Fender Standard Stratocaster MN LPB LH

What about that guitar, are the pickups weak/bad/cheap, sorta like Epiphone guitar pickups?
    And whta about the guitars in general "mexico" guitars, are they as good as the "usa" version or "highway" series??
    I really have no clue, so i'm asking you guys

ROCK ON!

Originally posted by Reaper1984 View Post
    Fender Standard Stratocaster MN LPB LH

ROCK ON!
    According to your specs there, I'm assuming that you are looking at a 1990's Stratocaster?? The "MN" designation would indicate Mexico/Nineties. The "LPB" would indicate a Lake Placid Blue color, (great color by the way) and obviously "LH" equates to left henader.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they are fine instruments. Are MIM strats equal to MIA strats? No. Mia's have better P/U's (though you might prefer ceramics), better wood (no veneer cap), and better hardware.

The HWY 1 strats are very fine guitars also. They have Alnico III P/U's compared to the MIA Alnico V P/U's. I'm pretty sure the III's are a bit hotter than the MIA P/U's. The HWY 1's also have the thin nitro finish. There are other differences like the bridge, but they shouldn't matter that much.

If you can afford the MIA strat, I would say go for it. I say that with a bit of a caveat, the strat sitting next to my desk at the moment is a mid 90's MIM Squier that I love. It is as comfy is nice toasty slippers, the neck is smooth as silk, and it sounds fine to my tin ears.

Good Luck in your search, as that's half the fun.
    Last edited by crawdaddy; 05-12-2010, 06:05 PM.

Comment

personally, i'd go for the mexican strat and spend some dough on pickups, a pickguard, graphtech saddles/nut/string tree, schaller straplocks, black hardware, etc.
      Originally posted by metalchurch
      I had my ball sack appraised one time.
      ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

This is what you want . PM me if you want specs .

Comment

I'm gonna have to agree with otterhound.
          Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Sorry to the guys above me^^^^^

I have to disagree. You can put together a great strat with all those parts, but in the end it won't sound or play better than an MIA. Plus you'll be lucky to recoup 30-35% of your invest when you go to sell.

If you purchase an MIA strat, you're way ahead at the start regarding fit, finish and playability. If you feel along the way, you can always change out the pups.

MIA all the way; unless Mr. Grim Reaper wants to go MIJ, Hmmmmm

Comment

My Strat is for sale

Serial Number MZ7100141 - bought new in November, and I don't play it. It's not that I don't like it, but I like my Telecaster better.

Specs are:

Standard Strat
              Made in Mexico
              maybe has 30 hours on it, still haven't removed the plastic from the pick guard (I don't use a pick)
              Maple Fretboard
              Midnight Wine body
              Link to Fender website

It's a nice guitar, that deserves to be used. FYI, I live in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
                Sorry to the guys above me^^^^^

I have to disagree. You can put together a great strat with all those parts, but in the end it won't sound or play better than an MIA. Plus you'll be lucky to recoup 30-35% of your invest when you go to sell.

If you purchase an MIA strat, you're way ahead at the start regarding fit, finish and playability. If you feel along the way, you can always change out the pups.

MIA all the way; unless Mr. Grim Reaper wants to go MIJ, Hmmmmm
                I must agree with you on possible resale value only . I am willing to put the fit , finish and playability of my builds up against anything out there . I can also offer things that the big names can't other than a brand name . Mine are also built by a lefty for lefties . I harvest , haul to the mill , stack , dry and store my wood . In fact , I will , very soon , be able to build totally from my own wood including fretboards . I know of no one else doing this at this time . I can also offer parts from suppliers that the big names will not . What neck width do you want , radius or back contour ? I have a Masterbuilt Fender and it is wonderful . I will never give her up . No one has it all , but keep in mind that someone somewhere likely said that about Leo Fender . No resale , Gibson builds it better , etc. If dollars and cents are your goal , buy a Fender or Gibson , etc. By the way , when did you have the opportunity to play one of mine or even see one in person to doubt the fit finish or playability ? One piece Cherry body , 1/4 sawn Walnut/Madagascar Rosewood neck , Callaham bridge , bone nut , Fender CS 69 pups and Hendrix tribute wiring with lefty pots . A custom neck contour as well . Don't knock till you've tried it . Just trying to put my best foot forward .

Comment

The only real differance between the guitars made in Mexico and the U.S.A. are, Mexican guitars are made in Mexico by Mexicans and the U.S.A. guitars are made in Corona, Ca by Mexicans.

All kdding aside, a good friend of mine is in managament at Fender and he's told me that items like necks are made in Chino, Ca. and sent either to Corona or Mexico. Many of the other parts are made in the same places and sent to either Corona or Mexico. This does not carry over to the Japan or Indonesia, or any other location guitars. At least that is what he told me years ago. We have not discused this in some time so it may not be totally true. But I doubt it has changed much.

Comment

I love my MIM Strat...the pickups really blew me away with how good they sound. I was expecting to rip these out when I got the guitar but I can't bring myself to do it...they sound too perfect. My MIM has a Fender 60th anniversary bagde on the back of the headstock...not sure if Fender used different pups on those.

The zinc trem block needs to be replaced with a steel one to help with sustain...otherwise its a great guitar right out of the box IMO.
                    http://soundcloud.com/djxer0

Comment

all i know is this

the only usa fenders that "blow away" my mexican fenders are the deluxe series, the highway 1 series have a nitro finish, which i do prefer, but it's still marginal.

my 80's jap strat "blows away" any u.s. strat i've ever played and i've played every era strat excluding pre-cbs, i'd say it's on par with the custom shop fenders. that guitar is bone stock and always will be.

the depreciation thing is something to take into consideration only if you're planning on buying a guitar you intend to sell someday, it would take some serious financial issues for me to sell off my fenders.

otterhounds strat is nice, but it's a hardtail, i'd rather have a tele than a hardtail strat personally.
                      I had my ball sack appraised one time.
                      ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

Hej Reaper, although I am not too knowlegable when it comes to strats I'll say this;
                        in the Dark Ages (early to mid 80s) when MiM strats became available to lefties in Netherlands I tried a couple and couldn't figure out what the big deal was. I decided not to bother and got a Tokai tele instead. In the recent past I got to try out a MiM strat again, also an Am Standard and again was not too impressed. Though I liked the way the Am St felt and handled I just didn't like the way it sounded. Couldn't put my finger on it, but I decided against it. Then when I got a chance to buy an MiJ from the same era as my Tokai was from I was very interested to see if that would be any better.
                        It was. This guitar handled brilliantly, sounded sweet in any position, with any amp setting, took a little getting used to the neck shape after playing nothing but my Tokai tele for 20 years. This MiJ strat got me interested in guitars again and I have bought a couple since I got this.
                        Lotta skitsn├Ąck here, but what I'm trying to tell you is; try and get your hands on a MiJ (preferably early 80s), before you decide.
                        Last edited by Olav; 05-13-2010, 02:51 AM.
                        va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
                        Originally posted by chilton
                        Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
                        www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Originally posted by lostinthemasses View Post
                          all i know is this

the only usa fenders that "blow away" my mexican fenders are the deluxe series, the highway 1 series have a nitro finish, which i do prefer, but it's still marginal.

my 80's jap strat "blows away" any u.s. strat i've ever played and i've played every era strat excluding pre-cbs, i'd say it's on par with the custom shop fenders. that guitar is bone stock and always will be.

the depreciation thing is something to take into consideration only if you're planning on buying a guitar you intend to sell someday, it would take some serious financial issues for me to sell off my fenders.

otterhounds strat is nice, but it's a hardtail, i'd rather have a tele than a hardtail strat personally.
                          I can do both . I just have a soft spot for hardtails . How about an Esquire ? Have you ever tried a wired direct to the jack Esquire ?

I just never got around to putting a cover on this one .

Comment

To the orig post: If you want something unique obviously there are choices, if you want something to hold up a higher value get a US strat, if you don't mind the price drop like a used car then get a Mexican strat. I don't think anyone was intentionally refuting the choices out there. Oh not to snub the rockers but there's always alot of support for the super-strat for sure ... ie Jackson/Charvel ... ESP ... etc...
                            Last edited by AllroyPA; 05-13-2010, 07:09 AM.
                            Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Originally posted by otterhound View Post
                              I must agree with you on possible resale value only . I am willing to put the fit , finish and playability of my builds up against anything out there . I can also offer things that the big names can't other than a brand name . Mine are also built by a lefty for lefties . I harvest , haul to the mill , stack , dry and store my wood . In fact , I will , very soon , be able to build totally from my own wood including fretboards . I know of no one else doing this at this time . I can also offer parts from suppliers that the big names will not . What neck width do you want , radius or back contour ? I have a Masterbuilt Fender and it is wonderful . I will never give her up . No one has it all , but keep in mind that someone somewhere likely said that about Leo Fender . No resale , Gibson builds it better , etc. If dollars and cents are your goal , buy a Fender or Gibson , etc. By the way , when did you have the opportunity to play one of mine or even see one in person to doubt the fit finish or playability ? One piece Cherry body , 1/4 sawn Walnut/Madagascar Rosewood neck , Callaham bridge , bone nut , Fender CS 69 pups and Hendrix tribute wiring with lefty pots . A custom neck contour as well . Don't knock till you've tried it . Just trying to put my best foot forward .
                              You misunderstood my response. I think your guitars are drop dead gorgeous. I was one of the few that voted for "Rosie" and I still think she is hot (God, I hope my wife doesn't read this, she'll think I'm a loony) and would love to have a guitar like that. Boutique guitars are made for such a finite percentage of players that it just makes more sense for the average Joe to purchase a Fender.

As an example. my buddy brought over his brand new boutique tele the other day. It had the nicest neck that I have ever had the privilege of resting my hands on. It was sooo frickin' smooth, I would have sworn that it had monkey grease on it. He plugged it in and played it for a bit (its a righty) and it sounded great with the Dimarzio's in it. I plugged my Tele into another amp and we f..ked around for a while. Mine sounded just as nice, plain and simple.

There is a local builder near me that makes some of the best looking partscasters that I have ever seen with uograded parts like you state. He prices his guitars for a tad more than MIA strats sell for and he has a difficult time selling them. The "Fender" name isn't on the headstock so 99.8% of the buyers out there are not going to pay Fender prices. Then when we get to resale value, the price plummets.

Just my feeling but the guitars that you build are meant for a buyer that has exact ideas in their minds. One similar to Rosie has been my dream guitar, ever since I saw George's Tele. These are guitars people buy for a lifetime, not to sell in a couple of years.
                              Last edited by crawdaddy; 05-13-2010, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X