• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right-handed conversion?

Hi folks,

I've been drooling at the Ovation 1778TX for a while:

http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=2367

and was about to put in a special order for a left-handed version when I found out that they don't offer a left-handed version of that guitar.

So, I think my only option would be to buy the right-handed version and convert it, but I've never had a guitar converted over before. Looking at that particular guitar, do you think it's a good idea? I'd lose some frets on the high strings, the controls would be on the bottom, and the jack will be coming out of the top.. unless that could be moved down to the bottom side easily?

I'd also be curious to hear your stories of attempted conversions, how they turned out, and whether you'd recommend it to others in general. Thanks!

IMO not a good idea. That'll take a lot of work, that means a lot of money. For what? A guitar that'll never allow you to reach the higher frets. Did you check out the back? Is it even possible to relocate the controls?

I wouldn't...
    va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
    Originally posted by chilton
    Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
    www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

since I DO play inverted righties all the time I'll just say.......

bassplayers like me can do it and get away with it, guitarplayers are a different story...too much hassle with no-upper fret access.....

EDIT: What OLEV said...lol
      Resident Charvel/Jackson Freak

http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Originally posted by Olav View Post
        IMO not a good idea. That'll take a lot of work, that means a lot of money. For what? A guitar that'll never allow you to reach the higher frets. Did you check out the back? Is it even possible to relocate the controls?

I wouldn't...
        Thanks, I appreciate the candor. I suspect you're right.

Looks like I'd be left with 17 frets instead of 22. I don't suppose it's possible to relocate the controls, but I mostly play unplugged, and don't gig.

I wonder how much it'd cost to do just enough work (nut/saddle, I suppose) to be able to play it left-handed; I can get the right-handed guitar fairly cheaply.

Ah well. Sounds like I should give up on this one!

Comment

the no-gig and cheap may still be an option to flip the nut and strings if you really like the sound of the thing......
          Resident Charvel/Jackson Freak

http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

I think that the alocated soundholes will be guaranteed trouble soundwise if you string it up lefty.

I suspect that it would change the unplugged sound balance drastically. (thinner bass, louder highs)

just thinking out loud...

Bart

Comment

There really is only one way to find out .

Comment

Thanks for the advice, all. I'm still considering it.

Flipping the nut sounds like something I can do myself, and I think (but am not sure) that the saddle and bridge look like they're pretty symmetric in these photos:

http://www.elderly.com/new_instrumen...1778TX-BLK.htm

What do you think? If it isn't going to take a trip to a luthier, I think I'd be willing to give it a try and see what the result sounds like..

Comment

That bridge looks like it's impossible to intonate.

If you really love that guitar, don't play shows with it, and don't plan on recording it, go ahead. You'll have a nice beater guitar that you like the look of.

But if you want it recording or performance ready, you're going to need to put in some serious work (new nut, new bridge).

Comment

Originally posted by exalted View Post
                    But if you want it recording or performance ready, you're going to need to put in some serious work (new nut, new bridge).
                    Makes sense, I should give up on it. It's pretty frustrating to commit to a guitar and then find out that there's no way you can have it! Before now, I'd had experiences where I had to pay more for leftys, but not experiences where there was no lefty model available under any circumstances.

Comment

It would require a new nut and bridge , yes . It would not require a new saddle . I would consider this to be very simple to do given that the bridge is not compensated .

Comment

Working...
                      X