No fret markers - wtf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No fret markers - wtf

I am starting to see this more and more, especially on 7 string guitars. Maybe I am in the minority but I really rely on the fretboard inlays when I play. I never, ever look at the side dot inlays. I seriously can't imagine shredding it up on a guitar with a blank fretboard...but the trend seems to be heading that way.

Do you guys feel the same or am I an idiot?

+1 I can't imagine doing leads without visual aides. I'm comfortable playing 'blind' in the cowboychord-area, further south than say 7th fret I'm lost. So... if you're a moron that makes two of us.
    va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
    Originally posted by chilton
    Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
    www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

i can play without fret markers anywhere, but side dots are always good
      Originally posted by metalchurch
      I had my ball sack appraised one time.
      ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

I'm the opposite, I need the side markers. I seldom look at the fretboard.

As an aside; I thought all of you metal players play with the guitar around your knees!!! How can you see the fretboard??? JK

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
          I'm the opposite, I need the side markers. I seldom look at the fretboard.

As an aside; I thought all of you metal players play with the guitar around your knees!!! How can you see the fretboard??? JK
          Hell no, I play Tom Morello style!

Comment

My Warwick bass doesn't have fret markers. Once you get used to it, it's not a big deal.

Comment

I had a Godin LGXSA with no markers, it was a real PITA, never got used to it. I also have a Takamine EN10 with no dots that I had to stop using, played that for 10 years and never really got used to it.

Even had dots added to my classical guitar as I kept getting lost on it !

Comment

What method has anyone used to add dots? Stickers dont last ...
                Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Originally posted by AllroyPA View Post
                  What method has anyone used to add dots? Stickers dont last ...
                  when I used to play righties hendrix style I would just sharpie side dotss on.

I need side dots but fret inlays are not mandatory for me. I had a 7 string agile V not too long ago that had no fret inlays and I liked it alot. I think ebony boards with no inlays are sexy.

Comment

Yeah a bare board can look very slick. I've never been a fan of big fret markers either, although some inlays can be cool, but big dots are a no-no.

Comment

My favorite has always been Ibanez shark tooth inlays

Comment

my favorites are the ibanez destroyer bar inlays and the 70's gibson mini-bar inlays

i play tom morello style too, only nu-metal guitarists wear their straps down to their knees

i use white-out tape for side markers, because it's easily removable/reapplicable
                        I had my ball sack appraised one time.
                        ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

I've got an Agile 7 stringer with no fret markers. It is my first 7 string guitar which makes it have a bit of a learning curve. The other thing about it is it has no fret markers. Which I have found is a crutch that I use. Up until this guitar I had never had a guitar without some form of neck inlay.

While I agree it does look cool, in a minimalistic sort of way, I feel it has made the bonding experience w/ this guitar very difficult.

PeAcE

Comment

since many years ago, I also Hendrix the righty axes...fret markers? what are they....side dot's? what are they

NO I won't magic-marker dots because if I sell that unit, someone would be pissed, and the dot inlays are really are too small unless I angle the neck towards me which doesn't happen too often ( especially in a dark bar )

someone needs to find me some bo-datious lefty Charvels to replace the dozen or so righty Charvels I own
                            Resident Charvel/Jackson Freak

http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                              My favorite has always been Ibanez shark tooth inlays
                              you keep liking your Ibanez fins, I'll keep liking my Jackson fins
                              Resident Charvel/Jackson Freak

http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Working...
                              X