Hi: I'm Mike...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi: I'm Mike...

AKA: Crawdaddy. That was my nickname growing up and few of my friends still call me by that name or sometimes "CrayFish", it's all good.

My brief BIO; I'm an old f..k a bit past 50 that loves music, baseball, hockey, golf, cars, and for the last year or so PickleBall. I live just outside of Phoenix, AZ for the past 3 years. Love the weather and myriad of options for golfing, plus I get to swim everyday (and I mean every single day) for 7 months out the year. With spring training here, we will (at least I will, the wife has to work and children are in school) be attending as many games as possible. One of my buddies is volunteering at the local stadium and told me that he can get me in for free. Works for me, plus we have tickets to about 8 games already. You really can’t beat March in the valley.

I grew up in the Chicago area, as a youngster we lived very very close to Wrigley Field, so obviously I’m a big Cubs and Bears fan. I would go to about 50 ball games a year as a child. I’m a self employed architect (part time presently due to the economy) that concentrates on design nowadays and let the working drawings, permitting, contracts, etc up to the younger people in the field. I’m fortunate that through my job (hell, I get paid to draw pictures) I have been afforded the opportunity to travel to almost every state in this country. I have been to towns that I would never have dreamt possible.

I have wanted to play guitar ever since I heard the opening rif to “Day Tripper” or maybe it was “Paper Back Writer”. The memory ain’t what it once was. I still own the 1st Silvertone my parents bought for me.

I gave up guitar but not my love of music (I have over 1000 lp’s in a closet down stairs and another 6 or 7 hundred cd’s) at one point to do the family gig. Once the kids got a bit older I found my love of the strat never faded and most likely never will.

I am married (26 years) to a lovely wife that is a school teacher and we have 2 children (she says 3). My wife is my hero, she left her corporate salary to return to school and follow her passion of teaching. After receiving her master’s degree she worked with special needs children (some of the best kids you’ll ever meet) and presently teaches 3rd grade. My oldest (Sean) is a freshman at NAU in Flagstaff and Neil is in the 11th grade locally and most likely will join his bro at NAU in a couple of years. Both of my sons have juvenile diabetes. Neil was diagnosed at age 6 and Sean when he was 13. So, needless to say, we are big backers of JDRF and very hopeful that a cure can be found AND SOON.

Probably too much information, and I apologize for that, but once I start typing I can go on and on. My mother gave me my gift to gab and my warped sense of humor. Unfortunately, I usually don’t have anything pertinent to say.
    Last edited by crawdaddy; 02-28-2010, 11:23 AM.

Hi there Mike, glad to have you join us. I was thinking the nick came from the song? I think you'll enjoy y'rself here, there this one character that owns more stratocaster guitars than you have LP albums in the closet down stairs.
    I'll be checking your location on google, you got structures you designed you wanna share?
    Last edited by Olav; 02-28-2010, 11:35 AM. Reason: there's an h in thinking...
    va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
    Originally posted by chilton
    Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
    www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Olav View Post
      Hi there Mike, glad to have you join us. I was thinking the nick came from the song? I think you'll enjoy y'rself here, there this one character that owns more stratocaster guitars than you have LP albums in the closet down stairs.
      I'll be checking your location on google, you got structures you designed you wanna share?
      Thanks for the welcome, again.. and I guess I need to buy a few more strats to keep up..

Look for the White Tank mountains just due west of Phoenix. We live about a mile east of the range. Great view from my office.

My entire career has been devoted to retail, so there really isn't anything that is ground breaking. I was employed by a grocery chain in Chicago (Jewel/Osco) for 20 years. Through Jewel I was able to travel extensively to the Boston area (Star Markets) and Philadelphia (Acme Markets). One week it would be a couple of days in one city and the following week the other city. I've been on my own now for about 12 years and do work for a couple of architectural firms across the country. Through these firms I've been lucky to travel from New York City to Ida, OK to Port Angeles, WA. I'm presently working on a project in Utah (due to legalities, I can't mention the location) that is a new and exciting venture.

Comment

I'd really have liked to have seen some of your work. I googled for Luke AirForce and found the White Tank mountains. Got pics of the view from the office?
        O! and Pickleball? Not sure if I wanna know... I didn't have the guts to google yet...
        Pickle ball...
        va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
        Originally posted by chilton
        Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
        www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

I'll dig up some exterior elevations for you to scan over and take some photos of the mountains too.

Here is the official P Ball site: http://usapa.org/

It is a fun game. I played baseball and hockey all my life and at my age (with my knees) can't cut it anymore. This sport offers a great workout without the pain and it's still competitive.

Comment

I've been going to the gym and playing racketball, beats hangin out with the meatheads. Now if I could learn the rules and find an opponent... (I'm in the over 40 club)lol
            Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

I played racketball fairly regularly back in Chicago until we started playing floor hockey. There just wasn't enough time to do everything w/o really pissing off the wife.

I enjoyed the game a lot and it is great exercise. I'll have to check around here and see if there are any courts??

Comment

I play at the LA Fitness, which is sub-par. I found a challenger the other day and he proceded to kick my ass on the court. Damn, more practice.
                Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

Hello Mike, it is very nice to "meet" the person behind the nickname. First a wish, I hope that your boys will be cured from diabetes in the very near future and stay healthy for the rest of their lives. I have a 2 year old son, last summer he did a week inside the hospital for a minor operation, it was the worst week of my life, so as a parent I feel you.
                  Secondly, I would kill to know the secret to keep my wife happy while owning 50 or more guitars like you! I have seven and my lady is starting to twist my balls!!!!

Anyway great to have you aboard.

(Note: Pickleball?!?! Respect, Ali G. style)
                  "NO, I don't build left handed guitars! I think left handed people are freaks and should not even play the guitar."

Words by a famous luthier when asked by me for a custom left handed instrument quote.

"Great man, you are brilliant! So your stupid ass thinks that Hendrix should have never played the guitar?!"

My reply.

Comment

Cots:
                    Thank you for the kind words. We're hopeful that a cure will come soon. I hope your son is doing well. I understand how you felt, that feeling of hopelessness. Both of my sons are very strong and have accepted that this is their cross to bear in life and have done a fantastic job of taking care of themselves. My wife deserves a lot of credit in this area too, me, I'm afraid of needles and have a difficult time when I need a shot.

As for 50 guitars, that must be a nasty rumor. I wish I had that many. I don't really know how many I have, I'm afraid to count them. My wife gets on me every month or so and to be honest, I'm beginning to agree that I have way to many. Heck I own 5 righties that I can't even play (just bought one yesterday, at least my friend bought it for me and I'll pick it up tomorrow) just because they are (to me) pieces of art. All of the righties were cheap though, one was $25, another was $75, and the new one was $125.

Thanks and take care.
                    Last edited by crawdaddy; 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
                      Heck I own 5 righties that I can't even play (just bought one yesterday, at least my friend bought it for me and I'll pick it up tomorrow) just because they are (to me) pieces of art. All of the righties were cheap though, one was $25, another was $75, and the new one was $125.
                      Thanks Mike, as for the righties, convert them babes and feel the Hendrix vibe!!
                      "NO, I don't build left handed guitars! I think left handed people are freaks and should not even play the guitar."

Words by a famous luthier when asked by me for a custom left handed instrument quote.

"Great man, you are brilliant! So your stupid ass thinks that Hendrix should have never played the guitar?!"

My reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X