Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JonWay
    replied
    Hello my fellow Lefties. Hope everyone in the US had a nice Thanksgiving, and everyone else a nice weekend. Status on the Lefty Convention: We have pulled the plug on the Feb 2013 Convention as we had 7 in all confirmations, and we needed 22 to take the whole hotel. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so if anyone has ideas such as location, season, or dates that may increase our chances of getting the most Lefties together in one place, please reply. We would like to try this again.
    Thanks
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• JonWay
    replied
    Convention updates

Kevin Gaskell of Gaskell Guitars, the left hand guitar manufacturer from down under will be attending the Lefty Convention. I'll see if I can get a list of which guitars he will be bringing along.

Leave a comment:

• JonWay
    replied
    I can say we'll be doing a Gaskell Lefty Bass, and an O'Hagan twenty two. That was their Flying V in the early 1980s. Three more too

Leave a comment:

• Blue Church2
    replied
    I'll check them out, thanks for that. Would you be able to leak the guitars you will be shooting the videos on?

Leave a comment:

• JonWay
    replied
    We are shooting new videos in August, but I don't think we're doing any for Walsh guitars at the moment. Chris does have a couple of YouTube vids up showing his two most popular style guitars.

Leave a comment:

• Blue Church2
    replied
    Originally posted by JonWay View Post
    Chris Walsh will be attending the Lefty Convention. Chris builds and sells handmade archtops. Just had a chance to play one this evening. Solid wood. No laminates. What a beauty. He also builds his version of a strat with ebony boards and birdseye maple necks.
    Youtube videos soon on them?

Leave a comment:

• JonWay
    replied
    Chris Walsh will be attending the Lefty Convention. Chris builds and sells handmade archtops. Just had a chance to play one this evening. Solid wood. No laminates. What a beauty. He also builds his version of a strat with ebony boards and birdseye maple necks.

Leave a comment:

• JonWay
    replied
    Originally posted by ArrowHead View Post
    I don't either. I think it had to do with lack of DETAILS. Jon chose to give more. I was quite happy with that. But I get PM's and the above quoted comment about the size of his collection, like it has something to do with the details of the event, or lack thereof.

I might be critical, but I'm not exactly suggesting anything foolish or outlandish. More details! Let people research the venue! Consider it might not BE the best venue! Berts seems to be closed every other year. The sands is on the ocean, in February that means snow and COLD wet weather. There are NO nearby commercial airports (there's a small one in Plymouth if you have a private jet), and no nearby interstates. From Plymouth, the two nearest airports are close to an hour away. The nearest interstate is about 40 minutes away. So if you fly in and take a cab, you're already looking at crazy money before you pay your $300.

Meanwhile a rehearsal studio space would be closer to the interstates, airports, accommodations, and would only cost a few hundred dollars for the entire weekend. Leaves that $300 free for much nicer accommodations. You could book a block of rooms near some nightlife, and rent a van for the day for transportation back and forth.

I know you guys really want to hate me, but I wouldn't have spoken up at all if I didn't love the idea - I just didn't love the execution. I may not be the lefty guitar collector Jon is, but I have a long history of knowing how to throw a party. Would you rather walk in the snow to the nearby bar that may or may not be open... or get a room in Boston for the night, with a day at a fully equipped rehearsal studio with security, and at night a trip into the city to experience some fun?

Plymouth, pardon my french, sucks gigantic balls. I'm just looking out for my fellow lefties, and trying to help Jon plan an event that doesn't get a bunch of "sounds great but..." responses.

I prefer "LEFTY CONVENTION! CHICKS! GUNS! FIRETRUCKS!"

I guarantee Jessie would be there.
    I have to thank ArrowHead for getting some of the details out. Without an Itinerary to understand what it's all about many questions would arise. Hopefully the Itinerary, and the new posts of more luthiers and lefty shop owners agree to participate Saturday, we can all see the picture clearly of what a cool weekend this will be.
    In the last few months LeftyParasite and I have gotten together to chat, trade, and experience each other's guitars. The experience has left us both wanting more than a few hours each time we have met, and I know with 22 of us together the Convention will be that same kind of experience.

Leave a comment:

• ArrowHead
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob View Post
    I don't think this has to do with having more guitars.
    I don't either. I think it had to do with lack of DETAILS. Jon chose to give more. I was quite happy with that. But I get PM's and the above quoted comment about the size of his collection, like it has something to do with the details of the event, or lack thereof.

I might be critical, but I'm not exactly suggesting anything foolish or outlandish. More details! Let people research the venue! Consider it might not BE the best venue! Berts seems to be closed every other year. The sands is on the ocean, in February that means snow and COLD wet weather. There are NO nearby commercial airports (there's a small one in Plymouth if you have a private jet), and no nearby interstates. From Plymouth, the two nearest airports are close to an hour away. The nearest interstate is about 40 minutes away. So if you fly in and take a cab, you're already looking at crazy money before you pay your $300.

Meanwhile a rehearsal studio space would be closer to the interstates, airports, accommodations, and would only cost a few hundred dollars for the entire weekend. Leaves that $300 free for much nicer accommodations. You could book a block of rooms near some nightlife, and rent a van for the day for transportation back and forth.

I know you guys really want to hate me, but I wouldn't have spoken up at all if I didn't love the idea - I just didn't love the execution. I may not be the lefty guitar collector Jon is, but I have a long history of knowing how to throw a party. Would you rather walk in the snow to the nearby bar that may or may not be open... or get a room in Boston for the night, with a day at a fully equipped rehearsal studio with security, and at night a trip into the city to experience some fun?

Plymouth, pardon my french, sucks gigantic balls. I'm just looking out for my fellow lefties, and trying to help Jon plan an event that doesn't get a bunch of "sounds great but..." responses.

I prefer "LEFTY CONVENTION! CHICKS! GUNS! FIRETRUCKS!"

I guarantee Jessie would be there.
    Last edited by ArrowHead; 06-17-2012, 03:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by JonWay View Post
    Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there. I hope it means a little more guitar time today
    Back at you Jon and to all the other fathers.

I haven't had time to play a guitar in months and i sneak time to do this. Off to go mow my yard and fix a few things around the house..............i still need to plug in that commie red Dano U2ri!

Leave a comment:

• Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by ArrowHead View Post
    I'm aware of Jon, I've seen his gallery, and I've seen his video reviews.

I'm not sure why one must research an individual in order to get more information on an event that's happening in my back yard? How does having a huge collection make one better at organizing an event?
    I don't think this has to do with having more guitars. It has to do with someone taking the time to plan all this out. Takes time out of their family lives to do this this. Jon is the first one i have seen here take the bull by the horn and go for it so to speak. Thanks again Jon.

None of us really know each other (but i could be wrong) and we trade,buy, and sell guitars,amps,pedals etc.... with each other.

I hope this is a great success and there is one every year.

Leave a comment:

• JonWay
    replied
    Happy Father's Day to all you fathers out there. I hope it means a little more guitar time today

Leave a comment:

• ArrowHead
    replied
    Originally posted by LeftyParasite View Post
    Why don't you research Jon Way.
    I'm aware of Jon, I've seen his gallery, and I've seen his video reviews.

I'm not sure why one must research an individual in order to get more information on an event that's happening in my back yard? How does having a huge collection make one better at organizing an event?

Leave a comment:

• JonWay
    replied
    Hi guys. We now have a committment from DZmods for displaying and discussing hand built guitars, as well as custom mods.
    There are three vids up on YouTube now showing some of DZmods projects on Guitars with Jon Way.

We have spoken to three lefty dealers and will post when we receive the confirmations of their participation , and what they intend to show.

Leave a comment:

• JonWay
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob View Post
    My daughter is going to college this fall so all my $ is gone for now so maybe next year. Thank you for the invite Jon! Sounds like a great time and yes pics and vids if possible.
    I understand Bob, one more year for my daughter and that's the third child for me. College tuition eats up a lot of guitar money. Lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X