Finally an amp thread!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally an amp thread!!

Finally a place to talk amps on the Lefty!!

And here I haven't been plugging my guitar in this whole time!

I play out of a '64 Fender Bassman head and a cabinet I built with a pair of 12" speakers out of an old polytone amp. Sounds just fucking creamy! Play an old tube amp with a set of hot humbuckers and let it go into distortion, you can't get that sound any other way. I love it. I'd rather sell a testicle than sell this head. I unfortunately had to sell the speaker cabinet last year and I found out that I gave it away. No wonder dude was so eager when I listed it on Ebay. I still got a nice chunk of change, but stupidly, only about half of what it was really worth! Sucks when that happens!

Live and learn, but those lessons fucking blow!

Tell me a little more about these Bassman heads please. I'm looking at a Bassman Ten head. Somewhere early to mid 70s. Silverface.
    I heard BMs cranked all the way and f*kken loved that sound. Bit loud though LOL!
    va' sa' du? va' hete' du?
    Originally posted by chilton
    Unfortunately I've got all the guitars I need at the moment.
    www.dutchcassidy.com

Comment

I love my Bassman. It was made back when each different amplifier or guitar for that matter sounded a little different. They had personality back then. Mine starts to growl at about 4-5 on the volume with a really nice tube distortion, and all the way up, it's really screaming! I mean it'll rattle the neighbors windows! That is my amp, other vintage amps do different things, they are like people, we all have some things that are the same about us, and we have different voices so to say. The older fender amps are definately worth the investment, you will get probably every penny you paid for it and then some if you decide down the road to sell it. I would say to snatch that silverface up Olav, they are getting harder and harder to find. And they are pricey to begin with, if the seller knows what he has. I don't think you'll be disappointed... And like I said, it's loud!!

Comment

I have a Carvin MTS3212 combo and love it. I'm different than most, I prefer combos with reverb as opposed to stacks.

My advice to anyone buying an amp, just get a good, reputable tube amp with enough wattage to play out (50 watts is more than enough).

They all sound good in their own way.

Do not be coaxed into getting modeling amps with a bunch of effects, etc. Just spend the money on a good tube amp with power tubes and pre-amp tubes. Not a "tube driver" amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony7 View Post
          I have a Carvin MTS3212 combo and love it. I'm different than most, I prefer combos with reverb as opposed to stacks.

My advice to anyone buying an amp, just get a good, reputable tube amp with enough wattage to play out (50 watts is more than enough).

They all sound good in their own way.

Do not be coaxed into getting modeling amps with a bunch of effects, etc. Just spend the money on a good tube amp with power tubes and pre-amp tubes. Not a "tube driver" amp.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!

Comment

I go back and forth depending on the gig. My band occasionally plays gigs where there are multiple bands and you're rushed on and off stage, so for those situations I run direct with a Digitech RP500. It actually sounds really good after spending some time setting it up. But all other times I use a Fender Supersonic 112 combo. Over the top gains if you want them and the cleans (there's a bassman and vibrolux setting) are spectacularly Fender.

Comment

that is good advice Anthony

Especially the 50 watts thing, one day I hope guitar players quit associating watts with volume.

guitar tone will improve across the world!

Comment

My current rig is

guitar->Xwire Wireless ->D2000 Korg Tuner
                ->GMajor2 ->JSX

And yes, 50 watts is more than enough. My other guitar player is a 18Watt amp that keeps up with us. I keep my JSX master volume on a 2.5

joe...

Comment

A random amp story about volume.

When we gigged, we had our Marshall half stack rigs for big places, and combo's for smaller ones.

We played a bar in downtown Ft Smith, that has an outside stage and an inside area. We thought it was an outdoor gig, but for some reason they wanted us inside. So we put the half stacks outback and mic'd em, and ran the mics inside.

Put the Marshalls on 8 Wasn't very loud in the bar, but you could hear us on the otherside of fort smith!

Comment

I have a question that seems relevant to this thread. My amp head sucks. Line 6 Spider II. I recently bought a GT-10. I'm looking to upgrade my head. I was thinking tube amp with some sort of effects loop since I already have a 4x12 cab that I love. My band mostly plays progressive hard rock. Any thoughts on what would be the perfect amp head for me? I don't really care about metal sounds, and I heard that the clean sound is the one to listen for. What are my options? Bang for my buck.
                    www.facebook.com/aprioripgh
                    www.twitter.com/a_prior_i
                    www.a-prior-i.com
                    www.youtube.com/aprioripgh
                    www.myspace.com/impenetrableeye

Comment

If you are just going to run the GT10 thru the amps clean channel, the tube preamp really isn't going make much difference(I.E. it won't sound much different than thru the Line6) The only major difference is the power from the tube power amp, and at high volumes that could be considerably noisey.

If you want to go that route, maybe look into a power amp/rack setup. You'd save money, and theres probably people on the board that could help you set it up.

I used to run a Digitech RP preamp thru a few tube rigs, when I first started getting tube amps, and eventually found the amps sounded better on their own. However, I'd recommend something like a Carvin V3, it's got a nice FX loop, and one of the best cleanest clean tones you'll find in tube amps. Not to mention that 2 overdrive channels are quite nice.

The problem with running a preamp into a tube amp, is that generally the clean channel on a tube amp is setup to breakup at volume. So along with the overdrive/distortion from the GT10, you will have gain from the preamp/poweramp tubes, which on setup like that, ends up being a noisey mess.

Comment

Working...
                      X