Lefty 1984 Gibson Flying V, EMGs, custom paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lefty 1984 Gibson Flying V, EMGs, custom paint

I hate to do it, but it looks like I might need to sell my 1984 Gibson Flying V lefty conversion for financial reasons. This is a real killer for lefty metalheads.

The guitar originally was a "Designer Series" righty Flying V -- the ones with the crazy paint jobs. The previous owner stripped the paint and added the awesome custom paint you see in the pics. You could call the color "black pearl," similar to the King V that's also on sale in the boards. It looks dark grey or black normally, but the pearl flecks come out when the light hits directly on it. I can promise that they don't look like glitter (ha.).

The lefty conversion is flawless. It has a nice lefty bone nut, new Grover tuners, and the bridge has been slanted so that it intonates correctly as a lefty (the bridge adjustment did not leave visible marks). The guitar intonates perfectly - better than most of my factory-lefty guitars. You might notice that the strap pegs haven't been moved: that's because I think the guitar balances just right the way it is.

Otherwise, the sound is great. Those who have used EMGs know what to expect in terms of heavy crunch. I particularly think the V has a great solo tone, with much more warmth and roundness than I usually see with EMGs -- must be that V magic. If you don't like EMGs you could always sell them and drop some PAFs or whatever in.

As a random note, the guitar has a booster in place of a tone knob. The booster is a toggle switch that bumps up the volume for soloing. Again, if that's not your bag it's an easy change to put a tone knob back in.

As a final note, this is a 20-year-old-guitar, so it does have some wear. The frets are low but they still play great, and they've worn very evenly -- the guitar still gets amazing action.

Taking offers for now. If I don't hear anything good here I'll come up with a price and drop it on eBay.

Attached Files

damn thats a cool axe!

PM me before you ebay it!

EDIT: is it an 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck?

Comment

Yeah, I believe it's 81/85. I'll check when I get home to make sure though.

Also, I've got the original Gibson hard-shell case for it too. It's beat to hell but still works.

Comment

Is that thing Backwards??

Comment

re

Originally posted by vking View Post
          Is that thing Backwards??
          You act like you never saw a lefty with a backwards guitar before ... ???
          Customize your profile header http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/p...do=editprofile

Comment

if it was truly backwards it would be buddy guy status

at least it's strung left handed
            Originally posted by metalchurch
            I had my ball sack appraised one time.
            Originally posted by metalchurch
            ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

All right, this baby's going on eBay in the next day or so if I don't hear from you folks.

Comment

Working...
              X