Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any news about possible Prestige Ibanez LH guitars ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any news about possible Prestige Ibanez LH guitars ?

Hi there,

Considering to buy an Ibanez to complete my range of sounds (and to enjoy playing a fast wizard neck), I'm trying to find out what exactly exists for LH.
    Except some RG1570s (production stopped) still in stores, it seems that the only 'serious quality' Ibanez out there is the RG 1550 ML.
    So, unless someone can confirm that the brand has or will issue better products soon, I consider buying one of these two and customize it a bit, with better DiMarzios and maybe a custom paint. I'd like an Edge zero/ ZPS3 bridge too, but I fear that a LH version of that hardware only exists in my mind...

So, if anybody has unofficial news about what the next summer NAMM or other event will bring, I'm interested. I'm just one among hundreds of lefties to dream of a JEM or JS or at least something closer to that high end quality.
    Thanks
    FRENCHPAW

''Playing music is by far the best universal language lessons I've ever had".

the rg1570 sucks anyways

you're best off buying a used japanese made rg470l

best ibanez i've ever played
    Originally posted by metalchurch
    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by lostinthemasses View Post
      the rg1570 sucks anyways

you're best off buying a used japanese made rg470l

best ibanez i've ever played
      My 1570 smokes the 470 I used to have. The fretwork is miles better and the neck is much nicer than the Wizard II (what you're paying for with the Prestige stuff mainly). It's not black either, which makes a change. The only things I had done to it where DiMarzios to replace the shit stock pickups, the locking studs added to the Edge Pro bridge (which is better than the god-awful LoTRS II on the 470) and a Tremol-no added.

Comment

Ibanez was much more friendly to us back in the 80's and 90's, I suppose the smell of money has shifted their artistic integrity though...

My best idea is to get a late 80's RG550/560 and customize it. Original Edge, Wizard 1, good hardware. You can't go wrong.

Comment

thats strange, i prefer the neck and the lo-trs on the rg470l to the prestige, i played several left handed rg470l's and several 1570l's and with every single one of them i didnt feel any difference in eachother, the 470's all felt and played nice and the 1570's all felt clumsy and kept going out of tune (i broke a string on one of them)

Comment

I guess the neck shape is a matter of taste but the 1570 deffo has much better fretwork (that's one of the things you're paying for with the Prestige line).

As for any other models, once again, I doubt it. As Rich from IbanezRules says, they simply don't sell enough left handed guitars to make it worth offering other models in left handed form.

I pilfered this from Jemsite (thanks LeftyRobb), apparently this is every left-handed model Ibanez have ever made:

- Jem 555 (basically a way overpriced 470L)
            - RG 7420L (Rare, Lo-Trs, only production Lefty 7 from Ibanez)
            - RG 1570L (Prestige) (black, blue (rare), Suede (matte) black, Gray ones were avail in Europe/Canada, rare!)
            - RG 550 EXL
            - RG 2550 EXL (Prestige version of the 550EXL, both were Japan/Europe only models)
            *- RG1550L Black with maple board, probably same neck as the 1570. yummy!!
            - RG 550L (yellow,RFR, FA and black)(550L's spanned from 87 to 91, the 2 neons were first year only I believe, 1987)
            - RG 560L (Black, Jewel Blue, Grape Ice)
            - RG 570L (jewel Blue in 92', black all other years)
            - RG 3120TWL (Prestige)(lo-Pro) (some were Black backs, some were transparent blue backs, weird! Here's the story, back in 2000 Ibanez was feeling generous, they let dealers a 2 week window to let lefty's order them, keep in mind these cost probably $1500+ new, Including mine, I have seen 3 total, I have a black backed one. This is the best production lefty Ibanez has ever made, my best guess is about 10 in existence)
            - S 570L
            - s 440L (Black and red, O-Edge, a lot of people think they are 540's but they are not, this model inspired the JS series, these are true Sabres, not like the newer S series, it has been shown that the neck pocket is stamped 540, but the guitar config is clearly a 440, was this a goof on ibanez?)
            - S 470L (with the wave inlay, a few colors, would be a awesome guitar without the TRS)
            - RG 470L post 93' (yawn! The Japan ones were good though, a few colors,wizard II, AANJ, lo-trs)
            - RG 470L 1993 only (What another 470? in 1993 the RG470L was made, it had wizard 1 neck, square joint and a real Edge! this is the real good one and is rare! black only)
            - SZ520QML (Looks nice, but is Korean junk, I played one, can attest!)
            - RG 1077XLL (Prestige) (only one made ever made for a short time endorsee, Technically the rarest of all Ibanez Leftys, but non-production)
            - RG 680L (japan only, one of the rarest production lefty ever, finishes unknown, stock reverse headstock! I was told the neck is much thicker than a Wiz II, boo)
            * - SA260FML (Korean, back is flat, front is S shaped, I hear they are not impressive, looks nice though, comes in Amber and Purple flame maple)
            - PL1770L (Black and Copper, Rare!)
            - RG 440L (Roadstar 2 Series, old headstock, Black and Pearl White, medium Rare!)
            - RG 140L (Roadstar 2 series, old headstock, the cheap model! Black or White, common)
            - PF150BKL (Post lawsuit Les Paul)
            - AR100AVL (Double cut like a ghostrider, very Rare!!)
            - No.2350L (pre lawsuit Lespaul, I see these an 3bay all the time!)
            - No.2386L (pre lawsuit Lespaul)
            - GAX70L (Only slightly better than the 20L, only slightly)
            * - RX20L (Codename: Firewood)
            * - RG370DXL (OK beginners model, and thats about that)
            - RG370B(L) (Edge pro 2, japan made, dot inlays, much better than DX!)
            As far as the trem goes, bridges are not really left or right handed apart from the hole thingy for the whammy bar. The Lo-Pro Edge 7 on my guitar was machined so I could use the bar in a left handed position. I'm sure if you could get someone to do it you'd be able to use an Edge Zero bridge or whatever one you want as long as it's available as a part. The only true 'left handed' thing you need is a locking nut, which for 6 strings are pretty easy to obtain (GuitarPartsDepot for instance... 7's are a slightly different matter!).

Finally, something to consider is, how will the cost of heavily modding a production guitar compare to having a guitar built for you? This guy comes highly recommended, does pretty much only Ibanez clones (is just across the pond from you too) and charges very reasonable prices:

http://www.guitarworkshop-uk.com/

Comment

Btw the * in the list meant still in production.

The other thing is, as much as everyone likes Ibanez, there are a lot of good alternatives out there. Schecter offer nearly all their models left-handed for example, the exceptions being the signature models like the Jeff Loomis one (grrrr!), Agile do most of their guitars lefty (and if enough of you put down a deposit they're more than willing to do a limited run of a specific model with optional features).

Comment

you forgot to mention the rg370dxl (wizard II, infiniti pickups, edge III, black only)

i'm selling one, its like two threads below this one

someone please buy it!

Comment

It's on the list right near the bottom.

Comment

As for any other models, once again, I doubt it. As Rich from IbanezRules says, they simply don't sell enough left handed guitars to make it worth offering other models in left handed form.
                    I pilfered this from Jemsite (thanks LeftyRobb), apparently this is every left-handed model Ibanez have ever made:

I've been away from this post a bit longer than expected, but thank you all guys for these answers, even if they confirm what I feared about Ibanez's LH policy !

I really want something of quality and I might turn to a cloned Ibanez with all the high-end hardware I'll be able to put in it.

Happy guys are those who own one of these LH rarities !!
                    FRENCHPAW

''Playing music is by far the best universal language lessons I've ever had".

Comment

Hello my friend,

If you are interested in an Ibanez RG2550 prestige left handed, there are some for sale at thomann.de store. The only problem is that they are in Europe. So if you are french such as your nickname suggests, no problemo. If you are from the US, you will have to pay expensive transport. Btw the RG2550 is way better than the RG1570 (I tried them both).

Cheers.
                      "NO, I don't build left handed guitars! I think left handed people are freaks and should not even play the guitar."

Words by a famous luthier when asked by me for a custom left handed instrument quote.

"Great man, you are brilliant! So your stupid ass thinks that Hendrix should have never played the guitar?!"

My reply.

Comment

There's also a rumour that the 2550ZL is coming to the US, hopefully for summer NAAM. It'd be nice. If the 1550ML plays as nice as the 1570, you should pick one of those up.

Comment

Originally posted by falkendrift View Post
                          There's also a rumour that the 2550ZL is coming to the US, hopefully for summer NAAM. It'd be nice. If the 1550ML plays as nice as the 1570, you should pick one of those up.
                          Pictures of your avatar guitar ASAP please

Comment

Oops, I obviously don't come here as often as I should. It's not actually a guitar I own, it was made with the Virtual RG at Jemsite and photoshopped the logos. That's also why I changed it.

But to be on topic, The 2550ZL is available in Japan and maybe Europe with a lefty Edge Zero. It's at Ikebe Gakki. Close to the end of the page.

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/search_fair.php?fairId=204

Comment

Anyone else get that email from Rich, the 'Ibanez Rules' guy? Interesting news but overrrrrrrrr-priced.

Comment

Working...
                              X