Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

XLG
Adirondack Guitars
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW 2018 Ibanez RG550 Genesis Models

Thanks

Default NEW 2018 Ibanez RG550 Genesis Models

I don't know about you guys, but I've been really excited about the re-release of the infamous Ibanez RG550 Genesis collection in lefty.......available in 3 colors for us: Road Flare Red, Desert Yellow, and Flip-Flop Purple.

The $999 price tag from XL Guitars is such a deal, it's really hard to pass up.

I have 1 Desert Yellow on hold for me, but the Flip-Flop Purple is also extremely tempting, and David has TWELVE of them in stock........

Anybody order or try a 2018 550 Genesis yet? I know other dealers got them in 1-2 months ago already, just at a higher price, and only yellow and red (XL Guitars has the exclusive on the purple option). If you have tried it, or bought it, how are they? How do they feel and sound? How are they in both feel and sound compared to the original 1987 design?

Curious to know your thoughts. Happy shredding everyone.

Mike

Thanks

I put a deposit on one like 8 months ago lol. Dave is shipping mine off tomorrow. I got a yellow.

All the ones delivered thus far seem to have been in Europe and Canada. They're just now trickling into the US.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beneharris For This Useful Post:

LEFTYGUITARFREAK (10-11-2018)

Thanks

I ordered (paid in full) a Desert Sun Yellow RG550L from Rich over on Ibanez Rules!! He got the RFRs and DYs in a shipment a couple weeks ago....I think in total he got 4 RFRs and 3 DYs. (Don’t quote me on the exact numbers)

Of the RFRs he got they were all flawless, of the 3 DYs.....all three have to be returned for defects. One had a majorly screwed up neck pocket....it was shaped like this \_/ and the neck was shaped like this |_| so that was a no go. All of the DYs he got had weird scratches UNDER the clear....some of them were like that on the top and back, one was like that on the back only. The other two had large gaps in the neck pocket. There were some other defects too, but I can’t remember all the details. I opted to wait until the next shipment so I can be sure to get a good DY. This is why I went with Rich, he physically takes all the guitars out of the boxes and looks them over with the eyes of a surgeon. The guy is extremely picky since he deals in high end Ibanez stuff, something the other sellers out there can’t say. Good luck to you guys buying from the big box stores.....I hope you all get a nice one with no issues. I just didn’t want to take the chance, I want to know mine will be great. I paid an additional $50 to have the fret ends dressed too as the maple fretboarded MIJ RGs coming out these days claim to have “Prestige level” dressing.....but they are still arriving out of the box with sharp ends. He did such a killer job doing a fret job on my JEM that I figured $50 paid to the master was money well spent.

Oh, and price wise mine was $1195 and that included the guitar, the fret dress, a full setup with super low action, and that fancy Ibanez TSA hardshell case as well as the shipping to me.
    Last edited by IbanezGuy; 10-04-2018 at 07:08 PM.
    Mustaine: He's brilliant; I love him. But then you see some guy like Buckethead… Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IbanezGuy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Nice, that is a good deal. About $200 more than what I paid, but I'm not getting a case or a setup.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IbanezGuy View Post
    The guy is extremely picky since he deals in high end Ibanez stuff, something the other sellers out there can’t say. Good luck to you guys buying from the big box stores.....I hope you all get a nice one with no issues. I just didn’t want to take the chance, I want to know mine will be great. I paid an additional $50 to have the fret ends dressed too as the maple fretboarded MIJ RGs coming out these days claim to have “Prestige level” dressing.....but they are still arriving out of the box with sharp ends. He did such a killer job doing a fret job on my JEM that I figured $50 paid to the master was money well spent.

Oh, and price wise mine was $1195 and that included the guitar, the fret dress, a full setup with super low action, and that fancy Ibanez TSA hardshell case as well as the shipping to me.
    You know I've read about the different service levels that Rich offers, namely the Silver and Gold. I always wondered if it's worth it on a new guitar, but in your case it sounds like it was. Did you get the Silver treatment? Do you know what Rich's base price was for just the guitar, vs what Dave is offering?

Thanks

It's worth it, you can play 10 of the exact same NIB guitar and they'll all play and sound a little different.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lostinthemasses For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Rich’s “Bronze level” price for these RG550L’s is $1,005 cash/MO/Wire transfer or $1,045 with a credit card/PayPal. So the breakdown for my purchase through him was:

Bronze level cash price $1,005
    Square away the fret ends $50
    Ibanez MR500c case $140 (when purchasing with guitar)

The cost of shipping is included in the price. The technical description of his service levels can be found here:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/setup_levels.htm

When I bought my JEM from Rich I paid for the “Silver level” and WOW it made for a super playing guitar. It’s pretty comprehensive and well worth it to me. Even his baseline bronze level is more than most sellers bother to do. Nothing at all against Dave, I’ve had good buys from him too.....but I’ve waited since I sold my ‘89 DY 550L back in 2007 for the chance to get another DY. I want the experience to be just a bit more than ordering the guitar, having it pulled from a shelf and put in the mail. It needs to be given a good once over inspection (which in Rich’s OCD case, it’s a thrice over!), have any correctable issues from the factory taken care of, a good setup and then repackaged and sent on its way. The amount of effort he puts into what he sells is well worth the extra cost and wait.

That said, Dave is wonderful in terms of getting rare runs of guitars we normally wouldn’t be able to get. In those instances I don’t hesitate to buy from Dave, I know I’ll get what I ordered and in the case (quite literally) of my Schecter KM7....Dave gave me a free HSC! This was on top of my offer which was about $100 less than his listed price. Good dude for sure!

I have a special place in my heart for Desert Sun Yellow......and in this instance the occasion called for an expert that has a special place in his heart for all things high end Ibanez. This meant Rich was the only way to go this time around.
    Last edited by IbanezGuy; 10-05-2018 at 01:53 AM.
    Mustaine: He's brilliant; I love him. But then you see some guy like Buckethead… Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IbanezGuy For This Useful Post:

Flashback55 (10-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IbanezGuy View Post
    I ordered (paid in full) a Desert Sun Yellow RG550L from Rich over on Ibanez Rules!! He got the RFRs and DYs in a shipment a couple weeks ago....I think in total he got 4 RFRs and 3 DYs. (Don’t quote me on the exact numbers)

Of the RFRs he got they were all flawless, of the 3 DYs.....all three have to be returned for defects. One had a majorly screwed up neck pocket....it was shaped like this \_/ and the neck was shaped like this |_| so that was a no go. All of the DYs he got had weird scratches UNDER the clear....some of them were like that on the top and back, one was like that on the back only. The other two had large gaps in the neck pocket. There were some other defects too, but I can’t remember all the details. I opted to wait until the next shipment so I can be sure to get a good DY. This is why I went with Rich, he physically takes all the guitars out of the boxes and looks them over with the eyes of a surgeon. The guy is extremely picky since he deals in high end Ibanez stuff, something the other sellers out there can’t say. Good luck to you guys buying from the big box stores.....I hope you all get a nice one with no issues. I just didn’t want to take the chance, I want to know mine will be great. I paid an additional $50 to have the fret ends dressed too as the maple fretboarded MIJ RGs coming out these days claim to have “Prestige level” dressing.....but they are still arriving out of the box with sharp ends. He did such a killer job doing a fret job on my JEM that I figured $50 paid to the master was money well spent.

HOLY CRAP!!!

Well it's good to see Ibanez is really on top of their QA game these days

Thanks

Mine will be here in the next couple of hours. I'll let you guys know how their Q&A is!

Thanks

^ left us hanging

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog