Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Left For Dead
XLG
Adirondack Guitars

Thread: got a stupid question regarding pots.....

Thanks

Default got a stupid question regarding pots.....

No not the stuff you grow!!!!! I'm sorry that this might sound stupid, but I have never replaced the Potentiometer's in a Squier guitar....

I have a late 90's Squier Standard that I am putting MIA electronics into....well, maybe not....the shafts are 3/8" in diameter and the Squier pickguard holes are to small...I think they measure 5/16" in diameter....

I know that someone here will know the answer to this.....

Where can I get 250k pots that will fit my Squier pickguard?

I don't want to replace the Squier P/G with the MIA P/G due to the screw hole locations and extra holes...too frickin' lazy to drill new holes....

Thank you in advance....MC in AZ

Thanks

Mouser would have them, but their parts catalog can be hard to use if you don't know what you're looking for. Stewmac, allparts, etc. Honestly, just drill the holes. It'll cost you 15 bucks after shipping for the ones you need. You could just buy a new pickguard for that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beneharris For This Useful Post:

crawdaddy (09-24-2018)

Thanks

Yeah, pretty easy to drill out (or use a small rounded file) the original holes for newer pots. Good ol’ sweat equity! Save ya some cash since you wouldn’t need to buy a new pickguard and it’ll look stock when done.
    Mustaine: He's brilliant; I love him. But then you see some guy like Buckethead… Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours.

Thanks

Thanks for the help....

The AmStandard pickguard was an 11 holer and the original Squier pickguard (that still had the plastic on it from 1999) was/is an 8 holer. The Am Standard P/G would have required me to drill about 5 new holes in the body to get it to work....that was the main reason for wanting to reuse the original 8 hole P/G.

Now, what I did was......I had a Homer duh moment....there was an aftermarket black P/G on the guitar with some cruddy P/U's (another reason for the new P/U's), but the pots in this P/G were 250K from the original guitar.....so, I used the AmStandard pickups and switch, the original pickguard and the pots from the junk pickguard....

I also added a new MIM Standard bridge and saddles to the guitar.

To my surprise, it seems to have worked....I'll finish with the setup later today and post a few pics later....

thank you for the help.....much appreciated....

Thanks

Nice! Glad to hear you got it figured out. I know I'm further away than is easy, but close enough it might work, but if you ever need electronics help, let me know. I'm pretty good with them. I can even do them for you if you send them up the hill. Just FYI.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beneharris For This Useful Post:

crawdaddy (09-25-2018)

Thanks

Here is the guitar in question.....it is a 1999 Squier Standard in Galactic Purple....

It matches my other 2 '99's in British Racing Green and Frost Red....now I need to find one in Cobalt Blue....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crawdaddy For This Useful Post:

IbanezGuy (09-26-2018), superheavydeathmetal (09-26-2018)

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog