Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How important are your picks?

Default How important are your picks?

I was bored during a court recess the other day and wandered into a Guitar Center to check out the "inventory". They had 1 squier strat, that's it (yikes). I was looking to pick up the new Ernie Ball Prodigy picks, but they didn't have any.

I ended up grabbing a set of Petrucci jazz-style picks, and I have to say they're pretty nice. I'm usually accustomed to green tortex or Fender medium standard picks, but I might be able to get used to these things.

Are you guys pretty much able to switch between pieces or can you only make things happen with a specific type? I remember as a kid I used to use the little teardrop jazz picks, but I never wanted to use them on stage because they felt slippery.

They make those jazz iii picks with grip on them, but they sound different. I'm partial to the original. If I have a really dull sounding guitar I tend to switch to a pick that's a little brighter sounding.

Hah, just noticed my title.

I think those green or orange tortex turtle picks sound the best but I cannot hold onto them. I have to use a celluloid base preferably with some texture or holes in the grip. Pickboy Pos-a-grip are my favorite.

What did the title say? “How impotent are your pricks ?”

Quote Originally Posted by AllroyPA View Post
    I think those green or orange tortex turtle picks sound the best but I cannot hold onto them.
    You could do the Dimebag "scratch an X" on them.

First, manage to find one. I play with fingers one third of the time.
    Then, finding the right one.

So, I don't really care. As long as they have the standard rounded trinagle shape and are in the millimeter range, feels fine to me.

Maybe it's the booze talking, but I dropped the pick twice tonight already mid-playing

and pine tar or stick-um are not good for finishes or strings !

Jazz III Tortexs! The best of the tortex picks and jazz iii’s in one sweet pick. I used tortexs for years, then switched to ultexes but have now been using jazz iii tortexes for a few years. Occasionally I’ll switch to other types of picks temporarily for various sounds or styles, but my everyday go to is a jazz iii tortex.

Fair enough, but what thickness !?