Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Left For Dead Southpaw Guitars
SouthpawGuitar2
Lefty 6 String
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you play guitar left handed?

Thanks

Default Why do you play guitar left handed?

Hey guys! So I created a VLOG post about left handed guitarists and why we choose to play left handed. I'm sure you guys can relate to the points I made in the video. This is my first time doing any type of VLOG post so I hope it isn't totally stupid lol. Weird seeing my face in the video and as the thumbnail. If you like it or hate it let me know so I can make or stop making videos like this in the future lol

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shiftpoint For This Useful Post:

Cmartin (12-07-2017), Olav (12-07-2017), SouthpawKen (12-07-2017)

Thanks

Nice video and to the point.

When someone tells me that I should be playing a right handed guitar as my left handed fretting would be superior, I always ask them why the same isn't true for right handed players?? Shouldn't they be playing left handed guitars if this were true!!!

You make a great point in relating guitar playing for us that are living in a right handed world.

Thanks for posting....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to crawdaddy For This Useful Post:

Olav (12-07-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy View Post

When someone tells me that I should be playing a right handed guitar as my left handed fretting would be superior, I always ask them why the same isn't true for right handed players?? Shouldn't they be playing left handed guitars if this were true!!!

You make a great point in relating guitar playing for us that are living in a right handed world.

Thanks for posting....
    Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy View Post

Thanks for posting....
    This is the argument I've used for quite some time. It usually is a thread-ender as righties don't have a valid response to it. According to this logic, there should be a TON more lefty guitars out there.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nubs For This Useful Post:

crawdaddy (12-07-2017), Olav (12-07-2017)

Thanks

Had I picked up a guitar and held it naturally like a righty, I would have played that way. I didn't, so I don't.

Thanks

They tried to force me into right-handed lessons, it lasted one lesson.

Thanks

I played over 10 years right-handed - it never felt really comfortable with my picking hand so after 10 years I said fuck it and sold all my righty guitars and bought a lefty
    I was me, but you weren't you. You were sticking to me like
    a scab...so I peeled you away, bled for days

Thanks

Tried playing a righty acoustic for a couple months when I first started out (both as righty, and as lefty with upside-down strings)... couldn't get the hang of it so ordered a lefty and never looked back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cmartin View Post
    I played over 10 years right-handed - it never felt really comfortable with my picking hand so after 10 years I said fuck it and sold all my righty guitars and bought a lefty
    Wow I didn't know that. Do you feel like you've progressed further as a lefty?

Thanks

I always played guitar upside down, always just messing around out of boredom. A couple times at a music store someone would say "you know they make a guitar for playing that way, wanna check one out?" and I'd always decline.

I always felt that was the way to play, never paid attention to anyone else, or what should be considered as normal.

In the 5th grade, the school's once a week music class was going to do ukelele for a month. On the first day I was holding it left handed, and the music teacher, who already didn't like me, was like "Why do you always have to be so difficult, it's meant to be held the other way." When I told her it was comfortable for me to hold it left handed and refused to do it right handed, she sent me to the principal's office, where I sat for music class for the rest of the month.

In 6th grade I started playing alto sax in band, which I'd wanted to do since I was like 6, and I played all throughout junior high and high school. On the EP for my last band I played sax on one of the songs and even played it live a few times.

I also wanted to play drums my whole life, I was obsessed with drums after I started listening to Rush and then the first time I heard the album ...And Justice for All was pretty much the moment I was like "I gotta learn how to do that." My dad dated this chick for a while whose brother had a 5-piece Ludwig kit set up in the garage, dude was a roadie for Metallica in the early 80's and was always talking about all these metal bands I'd never heard of. I always asked for a drum kit for birthdays and Christmas, but my family never obliged saying it was too loud, and my ex-stepfather wouldn't even allow me to practice sax at home from 8th grade onward, which I was required to do, because it was too loud. So I had to be twice as receptive in class, because at home I couldn't learn shit.

When I was 14, my friends and I were going to start a band, and I was going to play drums at first, but the we ended up talking a drummer into playing with us before I could get a drumkit. When that happened, they told me I was playing guitar now so I told my family I wanted a Fender Stratocaster for my 15th birthday, knowing it was going to be a lefty.

My family, for some reason, even though I'd been playing sax for 3 years at that point, and was even in marching band, were CONVINCED I was going to give up guitar. So they were trying to get me a Squier, which I was bummed about, but figured that at least it was made by Fender. Lucky for me, Squier didn't make left handed models in 2000, so they could only get me a Mexican Standard. They told me it was really expensive and asked if there was another guitar I wanted. I didn't want another guitar, and so they bought me one, but didn't buy me an amp, so I had to play out of my stereo for the first 6 months or so.

That's pretty much my story, guitar wasn't my first choice, never was against learning, but wanted to be a drummer, yet here I am. I was always very much aware I would be playing lefty though.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    I had my ball sack appraised one time.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    ??Apparently ball sack and ball sack are synonymous.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog