Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Southpaw Guitars
XLG SouthpawGuitar2
Lefty 6 String Adirondack Guitars
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter is coming! Beat the humidity drop!

Thanks

Default Winter is coming! Beat the humidity drop!

We're moving into the winter months here and dry conditions certainly can cause issues for us guitarist. This year I'm being proactive and bought a humidifier for my guitar room!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shiftpoint For This Useful Post:

crawdaddy (11-12-2017), metalchurch (11-12-2017)

Thanks

Good stuff Nick, thanks for sharing this with us!
    I keep all of my guitars out on a rack like you do, so Im always mindful of the temp and whatnot, but we keep the house @ 70 degrees, so the room is fairly stable. I also moved my rack away from the window and against an inside wall, just to keep them away from the slightly colder area by the window.
    Also despite us keeping the house @70, when it gets really cold outside, I throw a light blanket over the guitars just to help them that much more.

You're in New York, so I as well as many others in the North East know full well the abrupt climate shifts we have, so its always best to be proactive. They say that a good rule of thumb is that if youre cold, then your guitars are cold, just the same as when youre too hot. Which also in the summer months I sometimes put a floor fan on low, just to keep air moving because I do not have an A/C unit in my guitar room for good reason.
    Send me your unwanted BCRich's, I'll pay shipping.

Thanks

Good idea about the blanket. This room is inherently cold and I don't expect it to be more than 65 during the winter.

Thanks

Well youre on top of it, so the worst youll encounter is a slight adjustment of the truss rod as well as I. More often than not, if you pick your guitar up to play it after a hot or cold spell, youll notice that all thats really needed is a slight tweak of the truss. Mainly for me its Spring and Fall, however sometimes in between I may need to tweak it slightly.
    Send me your unwanted BCRich's, I'll pay shipping.

Thanks

After relocating from IL to the desert like conditions here in the Valley of the Sun....I learned about keeping guitars humidified the hard way. With humidity levels in the single digits to low teens, the humidity took a toll on my favorite acoustic guitar. Lucky for me, I have a friend out this way that was able to straighten the guitar out and it still plays beautifully....

I am also blessed to have a spare room in the house where I store my guitars....sooooo, I too purchased a humidifier for that room about 8 years ago. Like you, I keep it around 50% and I feel it has helped to stabilize the guitars immensely.....haven't lost an acoustic since...

Thank you for sharing the video with us....

Thanks

Great advice here, I learned the hard way that I need to control the humidity...constant setups get really expensive!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:

LEFTYGUITARFREAK (11-16-2017)

Thanks

Don't you have to worry about mold and other funk growing in them? I heard they can be really difficult to keep clean.

Thanks

The room I keep my gear in is always cold. It never gets much heat even though I ran a duct to it - the thermostat is in the living room and we use electric heaters a lot to conserve oil throughout the winter. So while the living space is toasty my office in that back room is really cold.

I've never had serious issues luckily, I keep my guitars in their cases pretty much full time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LGibanez View Post
    Don't you have to worry about mold and other funk growing in them? I heard they can be really difficult to keep clean.

This can be an issue but cleaning with white vinegar is super easy. Just need to stay on top of it.

Thanks

How do you do that? I've never cleaned mine, had it about a year now.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog