Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who knows their pedals?

Default Who knows their pedals?

I tried running my POD X3 live as a multi-effects unit and it simply isn't getting the job done. I have it running through the effects loop on my 5150 but the tone just isn't right and whenever I use the chorus setting the unit tends to shut down and require a power on/off cycle after 5 minutes, which is odd because it never does this when I play through headphones or in front of an amp.

I'm going to leave the X3 live as my computer interface/headphone amp. That leaves me with a 5150iii and a Dime Wah pedal. Ideally, I'd say I need the following pedals to keep me happy:

1. Phaser (looking at MXR script phase90 or EVH)
    2. Flanger (no clue, EVH?)
    3. Delay (no clue)
    4. Chorus (no clue)

The possibilities are seemingly endless, and the price ranges are out of control. What are some of your favorite boxes?

What is your craigslist again ? Long Island ?

Make sure to plug in the effects unit before you turn on your amp, same goes for the 7 pin midi to the 5153 foot switch. Once everything is plugged in, then turn the amp on standby. My brothers 5153 full stack is quirky that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch View Post
    Im all over this like a fat bitch grabbin the last slice of pizza.

I kept it plugged in 24-7. I can't for the life of me figure out why it is acting up. I don't mind, though, I was unimpressed with it as a stand alone multi-effects unit.

Quote Originally Posted by AllroyPA View Post
    What is your craigslist again ? Long Island ?
    Yes sir!

good choice for the phaser. the small stone is cool also. I've got an old script logo PT999 that I madly love ! Who needs more than a knob on a phaser !

for the flanger/chorus, analog BBD units are better, IMHO. Ibanez FL301, small clone, Boss CE-2 and BF-2, etc.
    I've got a DOD supersonic something flange but it lacks the "airplane at takeoff" kind of slow turning sound. Good for clean arpeggii " la Andy Summer".
    The 10 and 5 series of Ibanez can be found for cheap. Got a SC10, does the job well. I really love my Rockman Chorus/Echo but it only really shines in a special context : a completely stereo rig.

The best delay is the eventide time factor, period. But it's too expensive if your planning to use it 2 or 3 times a year for long delays and just for slapback the rest of the time. (I sold mine for this, using 2 presets on a 400$ delay is kind of a waste)
    I love my headrush Akai, perfect for the single repeat/ping-pong delay " la Brian May" (and you can drive multiple amps). But it gets blurry if you insist on the sound on sound " la Robert Fripp".
    Line 6 DL4 is pure crap. Had a Boss DD20 sometimes ago, can't remember it (bad sign).

MXR Wilde Phase
    Ibanez CS9 Stereo Chorus
    Ibanez FL9 Flanger
    TC Electronics Flashback Delay

Boss Giga Delay DD-20
    Electro Harmonix Small Clone chorus
    Moogerfooger for phase and flange

Excellent input, now I must research!