Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Thread: New lefty here in Boston, advice wanted!

Thanks

Default New lefty here in Boston, advice wanted!

Full disclosure, I'm right handed in pretty much everything I do. My first clues in leading me here were that:
    -I can't throw a frisbee with my right hand to save my life, but I throw lasers left handed.
    -I taught myself to play drums, and it turns out that left handed is the only way I feel comfortable.
    -I've always wanted to play guitar, but after trying to play right handed, I had to give up - twice! I couldn't get my left hand to even make a simple bar chord shape.

I finally tried a few leftys in the last few days and it seems much more comfortable. Now my next conundrum is buying my first lefty guitar. I really like Strat and Tele style guitars. Do I:
    -get a cheap SX guitar?
    -bump it up one level to a Squier Affinity? (this is the least likely option)
    -Squier Classic Vibe?
    -Used MIM?
    -Am I missing a good option?

Thanks

If you absolutely just can't play right-handed, I would buy something with a humbucker in the bridge and a hard tail. A humbucker in the bridge makes a guitar more versatile than a single-coil, and you don't need the hassle of a tremolo to start out.

If you want a recommendation for a specific guitar, I would get a Steinberger Spirit. That way you can take it anywhere, and they are excellent guitars. Other than that, I would get a Schecter. You can get a lot of guitar for the dollar with a Schecter. Another good option would be a Mexican Strat, and put a humbucker in the bridge and block up the tremolo.

You can get a great starter guitar for $300. You don't need to spend $700, but there is no need to buy something from the bottom of the barrel. Get something decent to play.

https://reverb.com/item/3337665-left...apter-40-value

https://reverb.com/item/2549635-left...2-black-cherry
    Last edited by superheavydeathmetal; 11-27-2016 at 09:23 PM.
    Resident Schecter fanboy - Line 6 - NYXL - too much gain

This user has gone 23 days without purchasing a guitar.

Thanks

Welcome aboard-you found a great bunch of guys here-if you're looking for a Strat here's a great used one
    http://www.leftyguitartrader.com/for...trat-Dead-Mint!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cmartin View Post
    Welcome aboard-you found a great bunch of guys here-if you're looking for a Strat here's a great used one
    http://www.leftyguitartrader.com/for...trat-Dead-Mint!
    Absolutely Cory, I was going to suggest that last night but I got wrapped up with something and forgot..
    I'd rather buy a used guitar of better quality than a new guitar costing roughly the same...

Best of luck with your search and welcome to the best forum ever! RightyGuitarTrader can swallow that!!
    We're non-profit.
    Hey, are you gonna eat that?

Thanks

Welcome aboard! I agree with 'buy quality used over new'. Regarding the Strat or Tele, if money is an issue, the 'Classic Vibe' series of Squier Strats and Teles are incredibly good guitars for the money. I'd stay away from lower end Squiers, as there's 3 big considerations for a guitar - how it feels, how it sounds, and how it looks. The first 2 will keep you playing and learning, or disappoint you in the long run.

Thanks

Oh, I thought he sold that!

There are, of course, a great variety of guitars here on this forum.
    Last edited by superheavydeathmetal; 11-15-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    Resident Schecter fanboy - Line 6 - NYXL - too much gain

This user has gone 23 days without purchasing a guitar.

Thanks

Sweet, another Lefty...welcome aboard, Mr.

Just my two cents...I wish I could have started out on a top of the line guitar. I didn't have the cash to do that so I bought a cheap guitar and dealt with issues that I didn't learn about til way later like the prick couldn't stay in tune, it sounded shitty which didn't really help with confidence, and I lost out big when I sold it. Go check out my album and look at my '88 Carvin DC150CL. If you know about Carvin's then you know this guitar is a solid guitar...it's yours for $250 plus shipping.

Hang in there while you're learning, man, it can get frustrating as hell! Get with me on the guitar if you think it's a fair deal, man.
    Great transactions with:

cmartin(3X)
    Dave at XLGUITARS(3X)
    Mrkhorne
    walter4music(3X)

Thanks

Wow! That's a great deal-if you decide to buy the Carvin Lefty is a great guy! I've bought from, sold to and traded with him and you won't find a better guy to deal with

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cmartin For This Useful Post:

Lefty (11-16-2016)

Thanks

Yeah wow, at $250, that Carvin is a steal.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveH For This Useful Post:

DEATHMONKEY (11-17-2016)

Thanks

Whatever you buy, buy used.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog