Lefty Guitar Trader Supporting Vendors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tips for swapping out pickups

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffle View Post
    If I had to pick between a Duncan Distortion and a Duncan Custom which would you say is better?
    Sorry man, never played the Custom to be able to compare it. Selecting a new pickup can be overwhelming, but any one of the models recommended so far would probably be a big improvement over the stock Dean one, if that's what you're using right now. I wouldn't stress about it too much

Also know that the urge to try different pickups never really goes away lol, no matter what you have in your guitar.

Thanks

Played both the Distortion and Custom. Custom is mediocre for multiple playing styles using both clean and distortion, takes effects well, distortion is good for heavy stuff, but not so good for anything else, takes chorus/flange/phase well but not so much wah/filter.
    Last edited by lostinthemasses; 04-25-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks

You have a Dean ML and you're looking for that Pantera sound so you have to get the L500XL, they're the cheapest of the pickups that you're thinking of as well... $55 gets you a new one
    If you do make sure you get the Wilde pickup not the Bill Lawerence pickup-big difference
    Last edited by Cmartin; 04-25-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyLV426 View Post
    Honestly a pickup won't really make you sound like any one player or band, it'll just get you more in the same ballpark with output and eq/response, in my opinion. You could play death metal with a lower output or PAF style if you wanted to. Just depends how it works with you and your style
    Exactly this. The pickup is only one small part of someones sound. Trying to chase tones found on albums is a bit of false dream imo, as there is so many other variables (studio processing, desk eq, pedals, mic placement, amp, speaker, track layering, bass guitar, etc etc) that no-one knows what was actually coming out of the amp at the time. Add to that the player, the guitar, hell... even the picks that were used, and it becomes a bit of an impossible mission.

I'm a huge Dimebag fan, and actually bought the SD Dimebucker out of curiostiy, and hated it Put it in my old Ibanez RG470L it was way too sharp sounding. Spent a few days adjusting it and my signal chain, but eventually gave up and yanked it out. I was actually able to get much closer Dimebag tones with a good versatile Distortion pedal and my LP that has a low output paf style humbuckers (Wolfetone - Dr Vintage set).

My favorite higher output pickups are the Suhr Doug Aldrich set. Had them for a few years in one guitar (PRS cu22) and they rip. Could get great Dimebag type tones, Slayer riffs were clear and punchy, and wanky 80's hairmetal tunes just sounded "right". To vary between all those sounds was the pedal swaps/tweaks and alot of amp adjustment. The Suhr Aldrich set were a bit much for my usual style though so they got sold to another buddy (seems I sell a lot of stuff to friends )

I guess my point is, find a set that suits the guitars tone- and- puts you in the ballpark of the style your after. After that get a fiddlin' with those pedals and amp settings That's how I've had the most success.

Thanks

After all my years of trying pickups, I tend to prefer more balanced EQ pickups, and lower output. They're much more versatile and will suit all the different styles much better than the super high output ones will.

Thanks

I really dig the dimarzio deactivators they are very welly balanced and clean up good even for being the high output variety. I got a bridge and neck in my carvin 7 string and have never been unhappy with the sound i get whether hard or light. I have a 6 string bridge pickup waiting to be installed in my Jackson when i'm not to lazy to do it. I have an evo in there at the moment but liked the 7 string version so much I got the 6 string ones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greenblob View Post
    Exactly this. The pickup is only one small part of someones sound. Trying to chase tones found on albums is a bit of false dream imo, as there is so many other variables (studio processing, desk eq, pedals, mic placement, amp, speaker, track layering, bass guitar, etc etc) that no-one knows what was actually coming out of the amp at the time. Add to that the player, the guitar, hell... even the picks that were used, and it becomes a bit of an impossible mission.

I'm a huge Dimebag fan, and actually bought the SD Dimebucker out of curiostiy, and hated it Put it in my old Ibanez RG470L it was way too sharp sounding. Spent a few days adjusting it and my signal chain, but eventually gave up and yanked it out. I was actually able to get much closer Dimebag tones with a good versatile Distortion pedal and my LP that has a low output paf style humbuckers (Wolfetone - Dr Vintage set).

My favorite higher output pickups are the Suhr Doug Aldrich set. Had them for a few years in one guitar (PRS cu22) and they rip. Could get great Dimebag type tones, Slayer riffs were clear and punchy, and wanky 80's hairmetal tunes just sounded "right". To vary between all those sounds was the pedal swaps/tweaks and alot of amp adjustment. The Suhr Aldrich set were a bit much for my usual style though so they got sold to another buddy (seems I sell a lot of stuff to friends )

I guess my point is, find a set that suits the guitars tone- and- puts you in the ballpark of the style your after. After that get a fiddlin' with those pedals and amp settings That's how I've had the most success.
    This is so correct LeftyLV426 & greenblob, I purchased a DiMarzio Mo'Jo to put in my 1570 bridge to get the "Satriani" tone HaHa! & it did not work for me at all! Ended up with the ToneZone that sounds fantastic! These guys use so many recording tricks & expensive gear to get THAT sound plus a shitload of practise & talent!

In fact I have seen a video of Satriani using I think a Line6 15watter or similar & I thought he sounded crap, so maybe if I use his stage setup I might sound really good (NOT)... Funny thing is I put the Mo'Jo in the bridge of my American standard Strat HSS & it sounds friggin' unreal! So yeah pickups won't make you sound like your idols at all but generally they DO make a big improvement to your tone over the standard ones.

Thanks

90% of tone is in your hands.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lostinthemasses For This Useful Post:

leftrb (06-21-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lostinthemasses View Post
    90% of tone is in your hands.
    So true.

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!
SEO Blog