PDA

View Full Version : Group buys

Eric_wr1
12-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Have any of you considered or wanted to do a group buy? I know on the Jackson forum that the custom shop will do a limited run if they get atleast 10 people that will put the cash down for a particular guitar (they send the money to the dealer for a spot). The price wasn't too bad either, however this was before the ungodly price hike about a year or two ago.

I'm curious if other manufacturers would do that if we got enough people that wanted a certain guitar, they would build it for us at a dicounted rate?

Have any of you tried this?

Jesse
12-21-2009, 01:25 PM
I think Agile does those, I wouldn't mind a 7 string...

exalted
12-21-2009, 04:24 PM
I'd bet Schecter would. They like to make funky prototypes.

Jesse
12-21-2009, 04:39 PM
group buys were actually one of my main motivators for starting up this website, strength in numbers!

GodWentPunk
12-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Have any of you considered or wanted to do a group buy? I know on the Jackson forum that the custom shop will do a limited run if they get atleast 10 people that will put the cash down for a particular guitar (they send the money to the dealer for a spot). The price wasn't too bad either, however this was before the ungodly price hike about a year or two ago.

I'm curious if other manufacturers would do that if we got enough people that wanted a certain guitar, they would build it for us at a dicounted rate?

Have any of you tried this?

It would be cool to do a group think like the JCF1. I guess the biggest problem is that we have only 100's on the board versus the 1000's on the JCF where finding 10 people with similar interest was easier.

I still like the idea and would be willing to jump in if the make/model was cool. Nothing to radical where it's not playable live that is.

joe...

TheHeroCycle
12-22-2009, 02:27 AM
I'd be more than willing to jump on board a lefty group buy pending I liked the specs and/or if it were a Jackson. Someone throw some ideas out there.

jp529
12-22-2009, 07:27 AM
id like to get in on a jackson warrior run.tax season being just around the corner.

Eric_wr1
12-22-2009, 03:34 PM
I think it's Matt's guitar on the Jackson forum that does it. I'm curious if there would be more companies besides Jackson that would do this such as Ibanez or the dreaded lefty unfreindly Caparison.

I would love to have a lefty xiphos or an Ibanez 7 string or a Caparison TAT (II) or a Jackson Extreme warrior.

Extreme warrior picture:

http://www.spirit-of-metal.com/les%20goupes/V/Viral%20Load/pics/3b2f_1.jpg

coolwaver
12-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Dude, That thing is freakin wicked!!! I love it!!!:headbang;:headbang;:headbang;:headbang;

jp529
12-22-2009, 09:44 PM
eric please post your collection as i am partial to jacksons and points.do you have more than two.excellent choices in an axe!!!!!looks badass with reverse headstock!!!!it has to be a custom job right????thanks for posting pics of your guitars we wanna see more ok???????the neon green is tight man.this could be up for gom!!!!wait a sec is this a lefty mirrored reverse???????you have fine taste in axes my friend.we all need a b.c. rich stealth.i would be in on that run.id like a seventh string but have never played one if i tuned to be on my low e.........would i drop tune string 7 to harmonicaly pitch b down?b on my sixth is crushing..........i sit and wonder what it would do for my playing!tuning to b makes the e a little rubbery but manageable.as far as im concerned b seems heavy enough....ive been reading here about players wanting seven and have been pondering to take the leap.part of the problem is that i am old school.sorry about the rant.im just wondering if im missing out on a dimension of my playing. john

coolwaver
12-23-2009, 07:32 AM
lefty xiphos!!!!!!I would be in on that!!!

Eric_wr1
12-23-2009, 09:50 AM
eric please post your collection as i am partial to jacksons and points.do you have more than two.excellent choices in an axe!!!!!looks badass with reverse headstock!!!!it has to be a custom job right????thanks for posting pics of your guitars we wanna see more ok???????the neon green is tight man.this could be up for gom!!!!wait a sec is this a lefty mirrored reverse???????you have fine taste in axes my friend.we all need a b.c. rich stealth.i would be in on that run.id like a seventh string but have never played one if i tuned to be on my low e.........would i drop tune string 7 to harmonicaly pitch b down?b on my sixth is crushing..........i sit and wonder what it would do for my playing!tuning to b makes the e a little rubbery but manageable.as far as im concerned b seems heavy enough....ive been reading here about players wanting seven and have been pondering to take the leap.part of the problem is that i am old school.sorry about the rant.im just wondering if im missing out on a dimension of my playing. john

I just have the warrior and a schecter baritone as far as guitars go right now. I had a king v that I sold locally to a young lefty shredder so it got a good home. I never played the king v after I got the warrior. I posted the picture of the extreme warrior since that is probably the only picture I have ever seen of one.

The picture above is the guy from Viral Load and his righty guitar that I found online. He is in the Jackson forum from time to time and that guitar is killer. I would love to have a lefty version of that extreme warrior.

Eric_wr1
12-23-2009, 10:01 AM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c383/wilkinsi/Jackson%20Guitars/Jackson%20WR1/WRextremeBK2.jpg

Here's another picture from the Jackson forum of an extreme warrior. I definitely want one of these in a lefty format.:headbang;

jp529
12-23-2009, 06:53 PM
wow............................................... ..........................

coolwaver
12-23-2009, 09:26 PM
beautifully deadly!!!!!!!

Eric_wr1
12-29-2009, 01:48 PM
I looked into this and on the Jackson forum to do a limited run, we would need 10 people for custom shop and 100 people for imports. Matt's Music is the place that does this and I believe there is a discount involved too.

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95679

I sent Matt from Matt's Music on the Jackson forum a message to see if he'll do lefties as well as lefties from other brands that he carries like ESP.

TheHeroCycle
12-30-2009, 02:39 AM
sweet, I'm gonna throw some ideas out there

Jackson
Import (100 needed) since this option needs more people I figure we go for something somewhat traditional and not radicaly shaped..
so how about a...
SLS3 in snow white
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?page=4&product=2914001803

I think its a killer guitar, and am lucky enough to own a lefty SLSMG so I can vouch for the quality and pure awesomeness that surely would be a lefty SLS3

Eric_wr1
12-30-2009, 09:55 AM
I just heard back from Matt and he would be happy to help us.

For import guitars we would need 100 of the exact same guitar with the exact same specs. For Jackson USA select or customshop, we would need 10 of the exact same guitar.

Do we want to keep ideas in this thread or start a new thread?

What do you guys like? It can be traditional like TheHeroCycle suggested. This would be a good opportunity for us lefties to get a limited guitar going either the custom shop or import route.

Eric_wr1
12-30-2009, 10:06 AM
sweet, I'm gonna throw some ideas out there

Jackson
Import (100 needed) since this option needs more people I figure we go for something somewhat traditional and not radicaly shaped..
so how about a...
SLS3 in snow white
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?page=4&product=2914001803

I think its a killer guitar, and am lucky enough to own a lefty SLSMG so I can vouch for the quality and pure awesomeness that surely would be a lefty SLS3

I like that guitar too. We'd need 98 more people to agree on it before we could get it.

Eric_wr1
12-30-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure if everyone has a certain price range that they want to stay within, but the imports will obviously be cheaper than a USA select/custom shop.

Here are a few more ideas:

This one might be too radical for some but I think its a gorgeous guitar (maple fingerboard 24 fret rhoads):

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=MG-Series&page=1&product=2913025872

An Archtop Dinky w/ EMGs:
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=MG-Series&page=1&product=2910101803

A maple fingerboard Dinky:
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/products.php?group=Pro-Series&page=1&product=2911005803

If you want to do cutom shop, what do you think of the green arched top dinky on page 14 of this catalog?
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/support/catalogs/USA&Imports/Jackson1994-95_catalog.pdf

jp529
12-30-2009, 01:40 PM
im in for an extreme warrior if it happens,i need to know the cost.

Eric_wr1
12-30-2009, 02:06 PM
im in for an extreme warrior if it happens,i need to know the cost.

Well a regular warrior USA left-handed would be about $3k-4k street price with a retail around perhaps $6k depending on the options.

I would think that an extreme warrior would fetch around the same or maybe as much as $5k street price, again depending on the options. If we had 10 people wanting an extreme warrior, we might be able to get it for around $3k street price (hopefully cheaper) depending on the options.

Custom shops aren't cheap. My custom shop warrior was in the $3k-$4k range and it was a one off that someone else designed (Southpaw guitars). I had saved up for a long time before hand and sold a lot of my gear to get it. The quality is immaculate and it plays & sounds very good. This was just before the huge price hike Jackson did about 2-3 years ago.

The custom shop idea would be cool if we could get 10 people to agree on a single guitar and spec.

Eric_wr1
12-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Here's some info I got back from Matt regarding the custom shop limited run:

Sounds great Eric -

I'm happy to help if you have any questions or need advice on putting this together. If you can get 10 people on board, we can figure out the exact specs and get this going. I only need a non refundable 25% deposit up front to reserve a slot on the small batch for someone. The balance doesn't have to be paid until I have the guitars here and they're ready for shipment to the buyers. This normally takes 6-9 months, so you and the other guys will have plenty of time to come up with the money. I can also offer you guys 6 months 0% financing and the guitars would be shipped for free inside the USA.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Matt

jp529
12-30-2009, 02:42 PM
i want in on the custom shop run,but if need be would also settle for import run.i just dont know if we could interest 100 people.does jackson offer the financing after the 25% down?that is also appealing and fuels my interest in the 10 run custom dept.

Eric_wr1
12-30-2009, 02:49 PM
i want in on the custom shop run,but if need be would also settle for import run.i just dont know if we could interest 100 people.does jackson offer the financing after the 25% down?that is also appealing and fuels my interest in the 10 run custom dept.

No, Matt from Matt's Music does on the custom shop guitars. He would be the Jackson dealer that we would be going through to do this.

jp529
12-30-2009, 03:31 PM
im still in for one.

The Mad Hatter
12-31-2009, 08:56 PM
A bit too rich for me. I did look at Emperion a while back. Their Spectrum 6 String goes for $690.00 US plus shipping. If you want the Bare Knuckle humbuckers, it adds $115.00 US to the cost. But I have my doubts about Emperion, they claim to be building the guitars in Italy, but the price seems to low for that to be true.

But I could probably buy something like that without my wife shooting me (at least I probably can if I can sell this book idea...).

But something costing 3-4K? No.

As to something from Asia, no way. But that brings up another idea. Godin makes some one solid body lefty (http://www.godinguitars.com/godinexit22p.htm), but they don't offer their top end electric in left (http://www.godinguitars.com/godinpassionp.htm). Given enough interest, they might change their minds.

Jesse
01-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I could be convinced to get in on something < $1,000

Otherwise, I'd have to kick my own ass since I have too many guitars as it is

TheHeroCycle
01-03-2010, 01:54 AM
I think the Jackson SLS3 Import would be in te $1000 range and it is pretty much custom shop quality. we only need 100 people.. if it will get this list going I'll buy two! Where are you Joe? I know you would love to grab one of these.

Jackson SLS3 import
----------------------
-TheHeroCycle (2)
-Eric wr1
(only 97 to go)

Cotsulas
01-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Count me in, anytime, for a Jackson Extreme Warrior (the one with different colour bevels).

That baby ROCKS!! Hell Yeah!!!! :headbang;

TheHeroCycle
01-04-2010, 02:33 AM
Count me in, anytime, for a Jackson Extreme Warrior (the one with different colour bevels).

That baby ROCKS!! Hell Yeah!!!! :headbang;

how about Red or blood red?

Cotsulas
01-04-2010, 10:56 AM
how about Red or blood red?

Anytime!! Count me in.

The Mad Hatter
01-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Which model was it?

TheHeroCycle
01-08-2010, 11:32 PM
well I think were trying to go one of two ways

if we go with an import model then we would need 100 people to be willing and the guitar would have its standard specs except it would be lefty.
I think for this option Jackson's SLS3 would be a great choice but really its any import that 100 people agree upon.
Jackson SLS3 import
----------------------
-TheHeroCycle (2)
-Eric wr1
(only 97 to go)

if we go complete custom shop we need 10 people to do a lefty run and I think most want to go with an Extreme Warrior as pictured in post #13 of this thread.. we'd also have to agree upon the spec's that we would choose because it is a custom.
Jackson Extreme Warrior
------------------------
-Eric wr1
-jp529
-theherocycle
-costulas
(only 6 to go)

Hey Jesse, is there anyway you can advertise these in your e-mails in an effort to encourage others to jump on board, or at the very least inform them of what were trying to do.

Eric_wr1
01-10-2010, 01:56 PM
well I think were trying to go one of two ways

if we go with an import model then we would need 100 people to be willing and the guitar would have its standard specs except it would be lefty.
I think for this option Jackson's SLS3 would be a great choice but really its any import that 100 people agree upon.
Jackson SLS3 import
----------------------
-TheHeroCycle (2)
-Eric wr1
(only 97 to go)

if we go complete custom shop we need 10 people to do a lefty run and I think most want to go with an Extreme Warrior as pictured in post #13 of this thread.. we'd also have to agree upon the spec's that we would choose because it is a custom.
Jackson Extreme Warrior
------------------------
-Eric wr1
-jp529
-theherocycle
-costulas
(only 6 to go)

Hey Jesse, is there anyway you can advertise these in your e-mails in an effort to encourage others to jump on board, or at the very least inform them of what were trying to do.

I'm curious if we could get enough people, if we'd get a discount from the custom shop since we'd basically give them the specs and they'd give a quote to the dealer. It would be nice if we could get that guitar between $2k-3k. I've heard that the group buys get to jump to the head of the line so it wouldn't take up to 2 years like some others.

If we did the custom xtreme warrior, what would you guys like for specs?

I'm thinking:

Left hand xtreme warrior
Neck through with a Speed neck like kv2
EMG's (81 bridge, 85 neck)or SD (invader bridge, full shred neck)[normal config]
Black pickup bezels
24 frets (jumbo)
Ebony fingerboard w/ MOP sharkfins
head & neck binding (cream[normal] or red)
no binding over the frets
base color: black (option: red bevels)
Jackson style neck
Headstock: regular or reversed
body wood: alder or mahogany (might sound better with EMG's)
Neck wood: quartersawn maple
Trem: original floyd rose (recessed)
locking nut
black hardware
1 volume, 1 tone (metal dome)
3 way toggle
no pick guard (rear routed controls)
painted neck (black to match body)
input jack:either a strat type (normal warrior) or oval plate side of body

Could do scalloped heel and horn, but I think the normal warrior already has a little bit of a scalloped heel and horn.

What do you guys think?

TheHeroCycle
01-11-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm curious if we could get enough people, if we'd get a discount from the custom shop since we'd basically give them the specs and they'd give a quote to the dealer. It would be nice if we could get that guitar between $2k-3k. I've heard that the group buys get to jump to the head of the line so it wouldn't take up to 2 years like some others.

If we did the custom xtreme warrior, what would you guys like for specs?

I'm thinking:

Left hand xtreme warrior
Neck through with a Speed neck like kv2
EMG's (81 bridge, 85 neck)or SD (invader bridge, full shred neck)[normal config]
Black pickup bezels
24 frets (jumbo)
Ebony fingerboard w/ MOP sharkfins
head & neck binding (cream[normal] or red)
no binding over the frets
base color: black (option: red bevels)
Jackson style neck
Headstock: regular or reversed
body wood: alder or mahogany (might sound better with EMG's)
Neck wood: quartersawn maple
Trem: original floyd rose (recessed)
locking nut
black hardware
1 volume, 1 tone (metal dome)
3 way toggle
no pick guard (rear routed controls)
painted neck (black to match body)
input jack:either a strat type (normal warrior) or oval plate side of body

Could do scalloped heel and horn, but I think the normal warrior already has a little bit of a scalloped heel and horn.

What do you guys think?

I'm thinking you forgot the red bevels, but yeah those are specs I could happily agree upon. EMGs and Mahogany. but I could really go either way.

Eric_wr1
01-11-2010, 12:49 PM
I think they might do red inlays or logo as well. There are a lot of other options that they do that aren't on the order form.

Jesse
01-11-2010, 12:54 PM
What kinda money are we talking about here? I'm really interested, but at the same time hesitant. I might have to move some axes...

Eric_wr1
01-11-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm hoping they would be between $2-3k and not much more. Even that, I may or may not be able to do. I would hope that if we got 10 people interested, we could get a good deal.

How about we do this. Let's all agree on a spec, then we can submit a quote to Matt or any other Jackson dealer and see what kind of price it would be. If there is no discount in a group buy, then there would be no sense of doing one going the custom shop route.

The import guitar thing we would need 100 people. I'm not sure if there is a discount there or if it will just be to make the guitar left handed. That could be another thing to ask about.

We first need to agree on a spec, then do a quote and go from there. If it costs too much, then we can decide for ourselves if we want to go through with it or not. There's no legal binding contract at this point. This is just for fun.:)

Also, if you think schecter or another guitar company would do a group discount as well, let's try to agree on a guitar and spec. We don't certainly need to go with Jackson, but its just one of the companies that I know that will do the group buy or limited run thing.

I'm all for shopping around and looking for a good deal on a great guitar.

Eric_wr1
01-11-2010, 03:32 PM
It would also be cool if we could see if other guitar companies would make a guitar left handed if we got enough interest.

examples: a lefty Ibanez Xiphos

A lefty Caparison Tat

A lefty PRS :eek: (why the won't make lefties anymore (even custom) is beyond me) :mad:

A lefty insert company and model here that doesn't normally do lefties.

Jesse
01-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I love the Jackson, Xiphos, Caparison or anything BC Rich (gunslinger would rock).

exalted
01-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Schecter would probably be receptive to that sort of thing. They're always making kooky one-offs. Besides the Damiens, Blackjacks, and Hellraisers, try to find two of the same lefty-schecter...you aren't apt to.

I might be in for a Schecter that wouldn't break the bank (700-800). Or if we had flexibility in choosing colors/contours/that sort of thing, I would be willing to go higher.

-One-
01-12-2010, 07:41 PM
I might be in for a Schecter that wouldn't break the bank (700-800). Or if we had flexibility in choosing colors/contours/that sort of thing, I would be willing to go higher.

This. We should see if we can get a one-off run of passive-pickup Avenger FRs. If I could get the cash together, I'd definitely be in for that (I'd take it with actives, but I'm not sure anyone else would :P)

TheHeroCycle
01-19-2010, 05:42 AM
I love the Jackson, Xiphos, Caparison or anything BC Rich (gunslinger would rock).

I'd be on board for getting a Xiphos! Would Ibanez do it though?

Jesse
01-19-2010, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't mind group buying that ESP V

jp529
01-19-2010, 06:11 PM

also in on a esp v!i bet they would do a ten run!8 to go!

Incendius
01-19-2010, 06:39 PM

Count me in! One can never have too many pointy guitars LOL....

MetalDaze
01-22-2010, 01:03 PM
I'd be in for the Warrior. How many is that now? If we combine this list with people from jcfonline, I bet we'd have 10.

Jesse
01-22-2010, 01:56 PM
I'd also be interested in an emperion group buy, I hear they are really customer-centric. They make a nice V and explorer

jp529
01-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Count me in! One can never have too many pointy guitars LOL....

that makes seven to go!come on roomies!we gotta do the v!i know there is ten people her that dig that guitar!:V:

Jesse
01-22-2010, 08:22 PM
that makes seven to go!come on roomies!we gotta do the v!i know there is ten people her that dig that guitar!:V:

Def in on the V, I fear that a Jackson run would be cost prohibitive (for me at least).

TheHeroCycle
01-22-2010, 11:21 PM
I'd be in for the Warrior. How many is that now? If we combine this list with people from jcfonline, I bet we'd have 10.

I'm not entirely sure, this thread is getting pulled every which way, its hard to keep track. Is there a list for the warrior going at JCF? maybe we should follow their example and have an entire section devoted to this kind of thing...how does that sound Jesse? I think things would roll a lot smoother.

Jesse
01-23-2010, 11:54 AM
done! feel free to start separate threads now.

Pauly
01-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Good idea guys, although right now my finances prohibit my GAS addiction from becoming an actual habit.

I would say that both ESP and Jackon are very expensive custom shops and you could get similar guitars for much cheaper. I don't know if group buys lower the costs, and if so by how much though. Bernie Rico Jnr and KXK (not sure if you could arrange a group buy but Rob HAS done runs for SS several times) are more affordable, and below that you have places like Agile or Emperion, although the latter are still pretty green and need some more actual testing from webbernets people so quality can be assessed e.t.c.

MetalDaze
01-25-2010, 12:20 PM
No, there's not a list on jcfonline, but I figured that would be a good place to recruit the remaining people needed.

MetalDaze
01-25-2010, 12:22 PM
And, I think it makes sense to break this out into a couple of threads. It would be good to have a couple of price points. I'm lucky enough now to afford the Jackson USAs but I remember a time when every penny mattered.

Eric_wr1
02-22-2010, 11:33 AM
As far as the xtreme warrior is concerned. I went to my local Jackson Dealer to get a quote. I'll report back with the results soon as I get them from the dealer.

Jesse
02-22-2010, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't mind an emperion or Guerilla group buy

Eric_wr1
03-01-2010, 10:00 PM
As far as the xtreme warrior is concerned. I went to my local Jackson Dealer to get a quote. I'll report back with the results soon as I get them from the dealer.

$4k :eek: This might have to wait.

The Mad Hatter
03-01-2010, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't mind an emperion or Guerilla group buy
At least I think I would. The Les Paul style one with Bare Knuckle pickups sounds nice.

But it's a cash issue. I don't have the cash right now.