PDA

View Full Version : How important are your picks?

Jesse
05-19-2018, 09:28 AM
I was bored during a court recess the other day and wandered into a Guitar Center to check out the "inventory". They had 1 squier strat, that's it (yikes). I was looking to pick up the new Ernie Ball Prodigy picks, but they didn't have any.

I ended up grabbing a set of Petrucci jazz-style picks, and I have to say they're pretty nice. I'm usually accustomed to green tortex or Fender medium standard picks, but I might be able to get used to these things.

Are you guys pretty much able to switch between pieces or can you only make things happen with a specific type? I remember as a kid I used to use the little teardrop jazz picks, but I never wanted to use them on stage because they felt slippery.

leftrb
05-19-2018, 12:47 PM
They make those jazz iii picks with grip on them, but they sound different. I'm partial to the original. If I have a really dull sounding guitar I tend to switch to a pick that's a little brighter sounding.

leftrb
05-19-2018, 12:48 PM
Hah, just noticed my title.

AllroyPA
05-19-2018, 01:44 PM
I think those green or orange tortex turtle picks sound the best but I cannot hold onto them. I have to use a celluloid base preferably with some texture or holes in the grip. Pickboy Pos-a-grip are my favorite.

What did the title say? “How impotent are your pricks ?” :rofl:

leftrb
05-19-2018, 01:50 PM
I think those green or orange tortex turtle picks sound the best but I cannot hold onto them.

You could do the Dimebag "scratch an X" on them.

bassine
05-19-2018, 05:45 PM
First, manage to find one. I play with fingers one third of the time.
Then, finding the right one.

So, I don't really care. As long as they have the standard rounded trinagle shape and are in the millimeter range, feels fine to me.

Jesse
05-19-2018, 06:26 PM
Maybe it's the booze talking, but I dropped the pick twice tonight already mid-playing

AllroyPA
05-19-2018, 06:47 PM
and pine tar or stick-um are not good for finishes or strings ! :rofl:

manini
05-20-2018, 02:47 PM
Jazz III Tortexs! The best of the tortex picks and jazz iii’s in one sweet pick. I used tortexs for years, then switched to ultexes but have now been using jazz iii tortexes for a few years. Occasionally I’ll switch to other types of picks temporarily for various sounds or styles, but my everyday go to is a jazz iii tortex.

AllroyPA
05-20-2018, 04:15 PM
Fair enough, but what thickness !?

manini
05-20-2018, 05:24 PM
Fair enough, but what thickness !?

I use 1.14s right now, but have used 1.0's for most of my life. I have problems using anything thinner on electric for my style. Acoustic however, I use definitely like something thinner/more flexible.

Jesse
05-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Agreed, I absolutely prefer a thin pick for acoustic use

LeftyLV426
05-21-2018, 10:30 AM
My go-to is the Tortex .88, I use it for everything. I do like the Jazz III but I never spend enough time to really get comfortable with them.

Edit: guess I should clarify since there's like 10 tortex types lol. I like The Wedge shape. The white one with the little green turtle :)

I did use thicker picks years ago, 1 - 1.5mm but one day I just changed and liked the .88 more. It's always fun to try different stuff though.

greenblob
06-19-2018, 08:54 PM
I dont know how you guys use those little Jazz III picks. I tried and really struggled to easily adjust to them. I guess it's just what you get used too?

I have a cigar box chock full of random picks on the desk at home, but my go-to's are the Dunlop Ultex 1.0mm (these ones https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-421R10-1-0mm-Guitar-72-Pack/dp/B000EEL9CU
Great pleasing tone and has a kind of satin texture that makes adjusting while playing super easy while never wandering. The 72 pack is a pretty good deal, but I still find myself putting another order in every month or two. No idea where the hell those little bastards go!

metalchurch
06-19-2018, 10:30 PM
Im picky about my picks Jazz III all the way! I cant maneuver well with big picks guess it is what you get used to cause I started with the Dunlop Red tortex then to Orange, then Yellow, then finally to a Jazz III

metalchurch
06-19-2018, 10:32 PM
They make those jazz iii picks with grip on them, but they sound different. I'm partial to the original. If I have a really dull sounding guitar I tend to switch to a pick that's a little brighter sounding.

I too have made the same switch for the same reasons. I always keep red and black of both versions so i have an assortment.

IbanezGuy
06-20-2018, 04:19 AM
I'm a white nylon .38mm Jim Dunlop user through and through. I have other picks, but I always tend to use the aforementioned Jim Dunlop. They've been my pick of choice since 1996! I prefer thin picks for both electric and acoustic.

lostinthemasses
06-20-2018, 05:00 AM
Started with Fender Medium, first the regular picks and then the triangle ones because it was 3 picks in one.
Then switched to Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm
Then switched to Gator Grip .96
Then Gator Grip 1.14
Then many years later Star Picks 1.0
Started playing Gator Grip .96 again recently.

I've played lots and lots and lots and lots of picks.

IbanezGuy
06-20-2018, 07:37 AM
Started with Fender Medium, first the regular picks and then the triangle ones because it was 3 picks in one.
Then switched to Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm
Then switched to Gator Grip .96
Then Gator Grip 1.14
Then many years later Star Picks 1.0
Started playing Gator Grip .96 again recently.

I've played lots and lots and lots and lots of picks.

It's fun to catch Fender pics on fire.....they go up like flash paper. :D

beneharris
06-20-2018, 12:26 PM
All I can really use is 1mm Jazz IIIs. IntuneGP makes realllyyy nice ones.

pushead2
06-20-2018, 01:16 PM
.94 Black Fangs or 1.0 Flow picks.

Black Fangs have a better grip than the Tortex, but if you're someone always dropping your pick, the Flow pick is it.

cosmic_ape
07-09-2018, 05:22 AM
Guitar picks are life!

Seriously, grab a few at the store and try them at home. Forget about the shape, material, thickness, etc. for a minute. Play some stuff and listen. See if you can pick (pun intended) any differences between them. The way you attack the string, the angle, you name it. Everything becomes more obvious when you start trying different picks.

For my purposes, I hybrid pick a lot. I wanted a pick that was small and manageable enough for me to switch back and forth when playing harmonics. I also wanted a pick that gave me a nice round, fat sound. Something similar to my fingers, but not quite. I narrowed it down to Jazz III sizes, but still tried a myriad of materials and thicknesses.

For the most part, I can hang with both red and black Jazz IIIs. I prefer the EJ and JP signature models. But my favorite is the Fender 354. Of course, them a-holes at the big F have discontinued them, so I will eventually go through my stash. I have been looking for suitable replacements for a couple of years and settled on a D'Andrea Pro Plec. Not the same, really. But it has a nice character to it.