PDA

View Full Version : Where do you put your noise gate?

Jesse
01-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Just got a Boss NS-2 since my 5150iii is really noisy on the red channel. I think the majority of noise is coming from the amp as my pedals shouldn't generate much (tuner, wah, delay, chorus, flanger in that order). Where do I put this thing to cut down on the gain hiss from the preamp???

:headbang;

metalchurch
01-05-2018, 07:51 PM
Are you running everything up front? If so Id be inclined to think that putting the NS-2 at the very end of the chain is where I would start. However, you could try it by itself in the FX loop as well.
Im not too up and up on the differences between up front and the fx loop so perhaps someone could explain it in detail..

I tried the FX loop a few times with different amps through the years, but I always got the best results running everything into the input of the amp. (Guitar> distortion pedal> chorus> flanger> EQ> ns-2> amp.)

Shiftpoint
01-05-2018, 09:23 PM
Im using an ISP Decimator with my 5150. Putting it in the loop will target the amp noise directly.

Jesse
01-05-2018, 09:35 PM
I have it next to the wah but before chorus delay flange... Works pretty good. Chorus is actually pretty loud so might have to re arrange.

I'm reading you need to use 4 cable method for the loop, sounds like a chore lol

lesterpaul
01-05-2018, 10:44 PM
Im using an ISP Decimator with my 5150. Putting it in the loop will target the amp noise directly.

+1- I have a Decimator rackmount and it really is incredible-wow! I hate extraneous noise in my rig, and I cannot live without this gate
( nothing crazy, either...amp gain with tc g system in loop..the dec rack G kicks all kinds of arse!)