PDA

View Full Version : Guitar cables

metalchurch
06-04-2017, 09:35 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for a 10'-12' cable that has a straight end and a 90*
I've been looking around but its been so long that I don't know what a good one would be. Any of you guys using something similar to what I'm looking for and could recommend?

I can't find my old one so I can't even tell you what brand it is. Right now I'm using an 8' Neutrik guitar cable that I soldered switchcraft ends on, and its a little bit too short...

Thanks

LeftyLV426
06-04-2017, 10:00 AM
I don't really have particular brands I stick to. Honestly I've been using generic ones for the longest time - I've had Monster cables and other nice ones and they've been great, but I lose them / get them mixed up with other people's at gigs / possibly stolen. For some reason I can't keep track of them at all.

Only cables I ever had die on me or go bad were some cheaper cost Planet Waves cables about 10 years back, but the more expensive ones were good. I've had no problem with the Planet Waves custom kits, where you cut the length and attach the straight or angled heads yourself. Been using those for a couple years on my pedal board and to make custom length lines for my amp fx loop and input, no issues.

Also never actually had a generic brand cable go bad, maybe I'm lucky? Most have straight and angled connection options.

Blue Church2
06-04-2017, 10:31 AM
As of late, I've been using ProCo from Sweetwater Sound. Sturdy cables and they are very reasonably priced. With their lifetime warranty I don't need to worry about breaking and paying for replacement.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QTR10A

metalchurch
06-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Same thing for me, I used to use Monster gold cables but after replacing them on two different occasions I said screw it and got whatever the local store had in stock. I don't know if they were stolen or accidentally mixed up, but whatever the case it was I got tired of it.

Angel, those sounds very appealing, I'll check them out!
Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it very much. Any other ideas, feel free!

metalchurch
06-04-2017, 11:16 AM
My buddy in Pittsburgh just texted me and told me to check out George L's cables. He said he just buys the kits they sell and makes his own.
Here's a link
http://www.georgelsstore.com/cables.html

I'm not really wanting to get into all that unless I have to. Was really just looking for something decent premade...

Cmartin
06-04-2017, 11:50 AM
I have a 10' Fender braided cable with a straight end and a 90' end and it's definitely high quality, I'd recommend looking into that

superheavydeathmetal
06-04-2017, 12:57 PM
I am not the best person to ask since I don'the play out at all, but I have been using a Planet Waves Circuit Breaker cable for years. It has a kill switch on the plug, and the plugs are easily replaceable; just cut the end off, stick the plug on, and tighten the screw.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/DAddario-Planet-Waves-PW-AGRA-Circuit-Breaker-Cable-Right-Angle-Straight-20-ft-/132020128843?hash=item1ebd034c4b%3Ag%3A7ZwAAOSwmgJ Y3qSq&_trkparms=pageci%253Adabda727-4946-11e7-9f57-74dbd1806c5d%257Cparentrq%253A740a03bf15c0a9945f6c c88cfffa4530%257Ciid%253A4

manini
06-04-2017, 02:34 PM
I don't change cables very often, but in the past I've used planet waves cables, which I found to be great, and I've currently been using this monster cable for a while now:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ClasI12A

I strictly play at home though, so I can't comment on the durability for touring, but I've been using the same cable without any problems for several years now.

**EDIT** I should note that I got this cable while on sale a while back for maybe $15-20? How it compares at retail for $30 versus some of the $15 cables I don't know... they're probably pretty similar if you're just trying to save some $$.

metalchurch
06-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Awesome thanks guys, definitely some great ideas being tossed around that I will look into. Appreciate it very much!

lostinthemasses
06-04-2017, 08:38 PM
I always buy LiveWires or Monster from GC simply because if they break you can return them and get another one.

LeftyLV426
06-05-2017, 12:45 AM
I always buy LiveWires or Monster from GC simply because if they break you can return them and get another one.

Yeah considering that, Monsters are probably well worth it. I just always lose the damn things lol.

lostinthemasses
06-05-2017, 01:29 AM
I prefer Live Wires to Monster simply because Monster's seem more likely to get stolen.

Shiftpoint
06-13-2017, 09:47 AM
For boutique cables I use Evidence Audio. Once I switched over you can A/B and hear the difference. My wife even heard the difference in a blind test between brands.

metalchurch
06-13-2017, 12:13 PM
For boutique cables I use Evidence Audio. Once I switched over you can A/B and hear the difference. My wife even heard the difference in a blind test between brands.

That is very true and some guys will actually go through a bunch just to find that certain tone, because that's without a doubt the fastest and easiest way to sculp your sound. Women are the best for an impartial assessment aren't they? That's awesome!! I like getting Joan involved at any chance I can actually.

I'm actually considering going wireless so if anyone wants to throw some options down, by all means go right ahead. Or start a new thread devoted to wireless systems, since this one is about cables... Either way all is good and my ears are open for ideas and suggestions, and I'm sure it will be helpful to many others as well.

BenG
01-16-2018, 01:40 PM
Yeah considering that, Monsters are probably well worth it. I just always lose the damn things lol.

I lose cables a lot too and tried cheap options. The thing is, having a beautiful guitar and not having a good cable, you might as well be playing a crap guitar. I used Planet Waves (http://subreel.com/best-guitar-cables/#Planet_Waves_American_Stage_Guitar_and_Instrument _Cable) and have had no problems.

beneharris
01-16-2018, 02:01 PM
I lose cables a lot too and tried cheap options. The thing is, having a beautiful guitar and not having a good cable, you might as well be playing a crap guitar. I used Planet Waves (http://subreel.com/best-guitar-cables/#Planet_Waves_American_Stage_Guitar_and_Instrument _Cable) and have had no problems.

I hope you don't take offense to this, but that is the biggest load of crap in the guitar marketing world right now. I buy that there is a difference between the horrible high impedance cables you get in your starter strat pack. But there is no need to be spending $100 for a frigging cable. There are some heinously overpriced and just downright lies out there right now about "good" cables.

manini
01-16-2018, 02:19 PM
I hope you don't take offense to this, but that is the biggest load of crap in the guitar marketing world right now. I buy that there is a difference between the horrible high impedance cables you get in your starter strat pack. But there is no need to be spending $100 for a frigging cable. There are some heinously overpriced and just downright lies out there right now about "good" cables.

This^. I know I commented on this thread in the past, but just wanted to repost to point out that I'm still using the same cables and they're still going strong (durable and long lasting for decent price). I've used a few different cables in my years of playing at various price points but there really isn't a huge difference. Currently, I've got a handful of planet waves cables and monster cables (all in the $15-25 price range depending on length), and while I do notice a very subtle difference in tone using the same guitar/same amp settings, they've lasted me years and have not degraded at all. These same companies make "premium" version of their cables for a lot more $$, but there's really no reason to spending a ton of money on cables...

**EDIT** Heck I think monoprice actually sells guitar cables now. I'll probably pick up some of them next time I place an order. I buy cables from them for everything else. Super cheap and they work great!

LeftyLV426
01-16-2018, 04:52 PM
And I STILL haven't found my Monster cables. Lol

All joking aside I run wireless every single show, I do like the custom length kits from Planet Waves though. Makes pedal board and effects loop runs easy and I haven't had one fail in 3 years now.