PDA

View Full Version : Who knows their pedals?

Jesse
02-09-2017, 10:08 AM
I tried running my POD X3 live as a multi-effects unit and it simply isn't getting the job done. I have it running through the effects loop on my 5150 but the tone just isn't right and whenever I use the chorus setting the unit tends to shut down and require a power on/off cycle after 5 minutes, which is odd because it never does this when I play through headphones or in front of an amp.

I'm going to leave the X3 live as my computer interface/headphone amp. That leaves me with a 5150iii and a Dime Wah pedal. Ideally, I'd say I need the following pedals to keep me happy:

1. Phaser (looking at MXR script phase90 or EVH)
2. Flanger (no clue, EVH?)
3. Delay (no clue)
4. Chorus (no clue)

The possibilities are seemingly endless, and the price ranges are out of control. What are some of your favorite boxes?

AllroyPA
02-09-2017, 10:22 AM
What is your craigslist again ? Long Island ?

Blue Church2
02-09-2017, 10:47 AM
Make sure to plug in the effects unit before you turn on your amp, same goes for the 7 pin midi to the 5153 foot switch. Once everything is plugged in, then turn the amp on standby. My brothers 5153 full stack is quirky that way.

Jesse
02-09-2017, 05:30 PM
I kept it plugged in 24-7. I can't for the life of me figure out why it is acting up. I don't mind, though, I was unimpressed with it as a stand alone multi-effects unit.

Jesse
02-09-2017, 05:31 PM
What is your craigslist again ? Long Island ?

Yes sir!

bassine
02-09-2017, 06:01 PM
good choice for the phaser. the small stone is cool also. I've got an old script logo PT999 that I madly love ! Who needs more than a knob on a phaser !

for the flanger/chorus, analog BBD units are better, IMHO. Ibanez FL301, small clone, Boss CE-2 and BF-2, etc.
I've got a DOD supersonic something flange but it lacks the "airplane at takeoff" kind of slow turning sound. Good for clean arpeggii " la Andy Summer".
The 10 and 5 series of Ibanez can be found for cheap. Got a SC10, does the job well. I really love my Rockman Chorus/Echo but it only really shines in a special context : a completely stereo rig.

The best delay is the eventide time factor, period. But it's too expensive if your planning to use it 2 or 3 times a year for long delays and just for slapback the rest of the time. (I sold mine for this, using 2 presets on a 400$ delay is kind of a waste)
I love my headrush Akai, perfect for the single repeat/ping-pong delay " la Brian May" (and you can drive multiple amps). But it gets blurry if you insist on the sound on sound " la Robert Fripp".
Line 6 DL4 is pure crap. Had a Boss DD20 sometimes ago, can't remember it (bad sign).

AllroyPA
02-09-2017, 06:34 PM
MXR Wilde Phase
Ibanez CS9 Stereo Chorus
Ibanez FL9 Flanger
TC Electronics Flashback Delay

lostinthemasses
02-09-2017, 06:36 PM
Boss Giga Delay DD-20
Electro Harmonix Small Clone chorus
Moogerfooger for phase and flange

Jesse
02-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Excellent input, now I must research!

Dirtdog
02-09-2017, 08:50 PM
for delays
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/ep103-echoplex-delay
or this
https://www.wamplerpedals.com/products/delay/reverb

LGibanez
02-09-2017, 09:25 PM
I picked these up used on eBay. I use the first 3 frequently and love them, haven't used #4 much but I figured I'd mention it in case you want to check it out.

1. MXR EVH Phase 90
2. MXR EVH Flanger
3. MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
4. Zoom MS-70CDR (Chorus/Reverb/Delay for versatility)

cosmic_ape
02-10-2017, 03:56 AM
I used to have a Pod X3. Do you have an amp/speaker sim activated? That unit runs out of juice rather quickly. If you have too many effects on a preset, it will just crap out on you. Mine also liked to fail at the most inconvenient moments, so I dropped it like a bad habit...

I actually had TWO different Line6 Pods crap out on me. Lesson learned.

---

About the pedals... If you are gonna drop some money buying chorus, flanger and phaser stand alone pedals, you might as well look into buying a used Strymon Mobius. You can find it for 350-365 bucks on TGP (it's $450 new) and that thing will be the end all/be all of all modulation effects. Trust me, I own one. Listen to it here: http://www.strymon.net/products/mobius/

I've owned that pedal for years, I am still getting new sounds out of it!!! You can make it sound like a broken Nintendo if you want to. Seriously.

If you look it up, there's forums sharing settings where people basically tell you, straight up, how to nail "Unchained", for example. And it's got 200 programmable presets to choose from.

As for delay, that's a can of worms! I have questions for you:

Basically, what kind of delay?

Analog? Bucket brigade? Tape? How many tape heads? Do you want something more Eric Johnson, or maybe more David Gilmour? Do you need reverse repeats?
Digital: 80's 2290? Are you looking for pristine repeats, or darker ones?

How about modulation on the repeats? Do you need tap tempo? Self oscillation? Presets? Are you looking for that U2 dotted eights kind of thing? How about buffered trails (as opposed to true bypass), so when you disengage it, it still repeats the last thing you played before stepping on it, swiftly vanishing into the night -as opposed to abruptly cutting the signal off-???

What's my name, again???

Also, what's your budget for a delay pedal?

Jesse
02-10-2017, 09:08 AM
I had all amp/speaker sim turned off on the pod. I was literally just running reverb, delay and effect. I had input on instrument as well. It's very possible there are other micro-settings I missed but the tone wasn't there. I also didn't try the 4 cable method, I just ran it through my effects loop.

When it comes to delay, I don't even know what I want/need. I use a good amount of slapback, but I also like a subtle infinite type delay. I couldn't even answer your delay questions, I know that little about it haha.

Edit: Listening to the Mobius from the link you gave, the chorus sounds are amazing

Dirtdog
02-10-2017, 11:10 AM
check thes vids out with delays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J6WUK6sePQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTIHC86sDZo

Jesse
02-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Loving the Mobius, but need to look into how it sounds in a pedal chain versus direct line like in their videos. The Line 6 stuff always sounds 100x better direct, I'm wondering if the same applies.

cosmic_ape
02-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Loving the Mobius, but need to look into how it sounds in a pedal chain versus direct line like in their videos. The Line 6 stuff always sounds 100x better direct, I'm wondering if the same applies.

I gig with it all the time. It has never left my board. Trust me, it's good stuff!

lostinthemasses
02-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Mobius is a great pedal, only reason I never mentioned it is the price.

Jesse
02-10-2017, 07:54 PM
Price is steep, but so is purchasing a phaser, flanger, chorus, etc. Probably evens out

cosmic_ape
02-10-2017, 08:15 PM
Price is steep, but so is purchasing a phaser, flanger, chorus, etc. Probably evens out

That's what I am saying!

Jesse
02-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Preliminary picks are the Mobius and the TC Electronics Flashback delay

cosmic_ape
02-10-2017, 11:59 PM
Preliminary picks are the Mobius and the TC Electronics Flashback delay

The Flashback is great. Make sure you get a new one. The ones from five years ago had these weird proprietary switches that were prone to failing. And TC is notoriously bad handling repairs.

I got one of their new tuners and I was glad to see the switch was different. It feels like it's better quality.

AllroyPA
02-11-2017, 05:36 AM
I have the TC Flashback X4 which has the stereo input and stereo output plus on board looper.
Also FWIW down the Road keep an eye out for a used Ibanez BC9 Chorus as they never reissued them and is nice to add to the collection

Jesse
02-14-2017, 08:58 PM
Negged on an offer for a Mobius at $360, they seem to be going around $400 used these days. That might turn me off, considering I can probably throw together what I need for $300 (if not less if I get lucky).

lostinthemasses
02-14-2017, 09:06 PM
Like I said before, the price is the reason I didn't mention it.

Go with the Moogerfooger.

cosmic_ape
02-15-2017, 12:08 AM
Negged on an offer for a Mobius at $360, they seem to be going around $400 used these days. That might turn me off, considering I can probably throw together what I need for $300 (if not less if I get lucky).

Be patient. Last week there were 2 of them on TGP for 350-360. I see one for 390 now. Just keep looking.

Jesse
02-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Be patient. Last week there were 2 of them on TGP for 350-360. I see one for 390 now. Just keep looking.

But I want it now!

Jesse
02-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Make sure to plug in the effects unit before you turn on your amp, same goes for the 7 pin midi to the 5153 foot switch. Once everything is plugged in, then turn the amp on standby. My brothers 5153 full stack is quirky that way.

Just re-connected and made sure I powered on the X3 Live first, fixed all the issues. I still don't think it excels as a multi-effects unit without the amp modeling, so I'm still going to switch to dedicated pedals.

Thanks for that tip, though, good to know my X3 Live is working properly!

Jesse
03-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Dug up a Boss CH-1 (chorus) and Ibanez DCF10 (chorus/flanger) today in my old bedroom, now I need some batteries...

Jesse
03-23-2017, 02:21 PM
CH-1 battery terminal fell right off, lol. I brought it to my electronics guy (authorized BOSS repair) and told me it's $100 an hour so it's probably not worth fixing. I'll wait until I get a power source and run it that way.

Ibanez DCF10 sounds meh, which is what I remember as a kid.

Picked up a TC Electronics Polytune2, super cool. Mobius is in the mail. My pedal setup is near completion!

I'm having a super hard time deciding on a delay, though. I love the simplicity of the MXR Carbon Copy, but I'm intrigued by the options in the TC Flashback...then again I wonder if it has too many options and switches. I also look at the Line 6 thing, but it's way too big and ugly.

beneharris
03-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Send it off to me, I've got extra batter snaps I can wire in for you.

Jesse
03-23-2017, 03:17 PM
I'm actually looking into a powered pedal board, that should fix what ails it! You are that good with the iron? Damn, impressive man!

beneharris
03-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Sure I'm alright. I designed this entire thing. Except the switch board, I used what I had for that.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f340/massamuneblade/20170125_215803_zpswbxvmbkj.jpg (http://s50.photobucket.com/user/massamuneblade/media/20170125_215803_zpswbxvmbkj.jpg.html)

Jesse
03-23-2017, 04:08 PM
holy cow Ben!

beneharris
03-23-2017, 04:18 PM
Thanks! I'd like to start selling these.

Jesse
03-23-2017, 04:29 PM
Make a video, let's hear what you created

beneharris
03-23-2017, 04:38 PM
Yeah I need to. It's an Octavia with germanium or silicon transistors, and two different diode clip options.

cosmic_ape
03-24-2017, 01:25 AM
I see you picked up the Mobius. Excellent choice!

Make sure you try it in Pre/Post mode. This way, you'll be able to choose if you want the effect to run before or after your dirt, PER PRESET. It's pretty cool!

Also, Quadrature and Destroyer, hello!!!

Play with it for a while and you're gonna want to buy a Timeline...

Jesse
03-24-2017, 08:41 AM
I see you picked up the Mobius. Excellent choice!

Make sure you try it in Pre/Post mode. This way, you'll be able to choose if you want the effect to run before or after your dirt, PER PRESET. It's pretty cool!

Also, Quadrature and Destroyer, hello!!!

Play with it for a while and you're gonna want to buy a Timeline...

Is this something I want to run in the loop or in front of the amp?

cosmic_ape
03-24-2017, 02:06 PM
I run mine in front, for two reasons:

1. The loop in my amp makes my tone way too dark and dull.
2. I don't care for my amp's dirt channels.

So, I run the Mobius in front and put all dirt pedals in its loop. There, you can select Pre/Post mode.

I am sure you can do it with your amp's dirt channels, but I haven't looked into how.

Jesse
03-24-2017, 02:13 PM
My amp's dirt channels are the reason I bought it!

leftrb
03-24-2017, 02:40 PM

General rule of thumb is any effects that you to be applied AFTER the drive (i.e., the preamp), you put in the loop. Anything you want to actually be affected by the drive, you put in front of the amp.

So like, if you put a delay in front of the amp, the delayed signal will get distorted, and usually get muddy. Some people like this (Eric Johnson, for example) but most people don't. If you put the delay in the loop, then the already distorted signal has delay applied to it, and usually this is "cleaner". Same with chorus, etc.

LeftyLV426
03-24-2017, 03:19 PM
I always keep my delay and reverb in the Loop, OD and Distortion in front. My Riveras have really good FX Loops with independent adjustable levels, maakes it pretty easy to dial in.

Currently I'm using the OD as a constant rhythm boost on the gain channel and I have a RAT pedal that I engage on top of that, which sends it into a super sustaining, thick loud solo tone that I'm loving. Never thought to try OD and Distortion at once but it's working great for me. All settings tuned to very conservative levels of course, lol.

Jesse
03-24-2017, 03:33 PM
ok so let me try this...

5150 combo, I assume the distortion is right before the output. I might be better off putting the mobius and whatever delay I get in the loop, then keeping the wah in front of the amp. If I ever use my Wylde overdrive, that would go in front as well.

Ok, so by that logic the tuner should go in the loop as well...since it likely works better off a clean signal?

LeftyLV426
03-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Oh, tuner is always the very first thing my signal hits, right out of my guitar / wireless. I assume most people do the same but there might be other ways, someone else chime in if so!

That way it also acts as a standby, for me at least. Kills the signal to anything else.

Jesse
03-24-2017, 03:50 PM
oh wait, I was thinking backwards lol

AllroyPA
03-24-2017, 04:53 PM
here is a good guide
http://www.strymon.net/setting-up-your-effect-signal-chain/

Dirtdog
03-24-2017, 06:39 PM
basically any modulation(or time based effects) or compression effects go in the loop then your drives distortions tuner wah go in front
If you are using clean channel then they can go after drives or distortions some tape echos which have slight delay can work in front as well. Noise gates can go in front or in the loop depending on the noise your trying to kill
Compression can go in front too depending on what your trying to limit or excite

cosmic_ape
03-27-2017, 04:22 AM
My amp's dirt channels are the reason I bought it!

Thrown the Mobius in front, then. If you feel the effects are not as pronounced, crank up more mix.

If you do have a dirt/od/fuzz pedal of any kind, I do suggest you put it in the loop of the Mobius and try it both Pre and Post, per effect. I like Vibe, Phaser, Flanger and Filter beofre dirt, but I prefer Tremolo, Chorus, Destroyer and Quadrature after dirt. It's really a matter of personal choice.

Jesse
04-07-2017, 02:09 PM
I found some awesome mobius settings on the Gear Page, great Phase 90, EVH flange and Boss Chorus sounds. I was pretty lukewarm on it until then. I simply overwrote patches on 98, 99 and 00 so now I have easy access to the 3 effects I really wanted. Still not to hot on having to press 2 buttons to change banks, it's foot awkward.

I should have my TC flashback today if the deliveryman doesn't screw me over.

That would leave me with a current useable lineup of:

TC Polytune
Strymon Mobius
TC Flashback
Dime wah
Boss CH-1

Not going to use the Ibanez right now

I want to keep them all on a small board, preferably powered. I saw the Gator G-Bone, which looks like it would fit what I'm using (and nothing more). Not bad for $79, any other ideas? I don't want a monster pedal board that takes up all my floor space. The only other one that looked nice was the Boss one.

cosmic_ape
04-08-2017, 02:52 AM
Whatever you do, remember the Mobius needs an isolated power supply, 9v and 300mA. Anything less than that and it's hum city.

Also, http://pedalboardplanner.com/

Jesse
04-15-2017, 02:25 PM
The fact that you can change tone prints on the tc flashback with your phone is amazing!